Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:08 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times

Advertisements

I continue to struggle to see the value in gold/silver that some see right now. I did some historical research on "premiums" paid over spot price for morgan and peace dollars and the premium right now is very high. It does not really make sense but there is no denying people are buying them up.

As many have said - there will more valuable things in a SHTF scenario. Will probably pick up some more junk silver if the price is right and Nor'Eastah makes a good point about silver quarters and what younger folks see as value. I do like the feel of silver dollars in my hand though... and the sound they make.

From a currency reset viewpoint - that is a bit trickier. People keep touting that it will go to this or that - $5k/oz, etc. - but who buys it from you then? 90% of the population barely gets by and the other 10% that has money will already have acquired most of what they want. You may have an ounce of gold that someone tells you is worth 5k, but you can't get anyone to give you that for it. At least that is what I struggle with in terms of buying for investment. So no one will really get rich like they think - just come out the other side with an ounce of metal that is better than vaporized paper or digits on a computer. Going to be an interesting next couple of years...

This is what we may be up against: Guy tries to sell a 100 oz. silver bar for $50 - no takers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmp2IqReFQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Just buy junk silver coins, dimes and quarters mostly.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I found some cheap coin silver serving platters at a thrift store a while ago. They had them priced like plate, but one had a handle broken off and it was obviously solid silver. There just was no sterling mark. I ended up with 17 lbs of the stuff, which has sat in my garage for 20 years. If I ever need silver, I'll fire up the forge and cast it into ingots. Before they took the silver out of coins, it was cheaper to melt down money than buy silver on the open market. I also have a few pieces of sterling and inherited 50 Morgans and a couple commemoratives from my parents.

I have read the memoirs of a woman whose family ran a pioneer ferry across a river. They had buckets of coins, but there was nothing to spend them on. They had doubloons, crowns, francs, dollars, kroner, marks, nuggets, gold dust, etc. With no central bank, money is what people say it is. You are far better off to have something to sell.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM

136 posts, read 135,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
don't forget bleach
You'll have to rotate any stocks of bleach. Ridiculously short shelf life for your standard liquid bleaches

Old 06-05-2017, 01:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
You'll have to rotate any stocks of bleach. Ridiculously short shelf life for your standard liquid bleaches
Absolutely!

Those who prepare should not store liquid bleach. Dry calcium hypochlorite ("pool shock") has a much longer shelf life, and is quite cheap in bulk.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
^^^ Really? I did not know that. What is the usual shelf life of liquid bleach, and what happens to it?

Edit: Interesting, I looked it up. Shelf life is a year at 70 degrees much less at higher temps - like my garage is about 105 in the summer. Where the bleach is stored... Powdered is a bit over 2 years. Probably would last longer I'd think.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I found some cheap coin silver serving platters at a thrift store a while ago. They had them priced like plate, but one had a handle broken off and it was obviously solid silver. There just was no sterling mark. I ended up with 17 lbs of the stuff, which has sat in my garage for 20 years. If I ever need silver, I'll fire up the forge and cast it into ingots. Before they took the silver out of coins, it was cheaper to melt down money than buy silver on the open market. I also have a few pieces of sterling and inherited 50 Morgans and a couple commemoratives from my parents.

I have read the memoirs of a woman whose family ran a pioneer ferry across a river. They had buckets of coins, but there was nothing to spend them on. They had doubloons, crowns, francs, dollars, kroner, marks, nuggets, gold dust, etc. With no central bank, money is what people say it is. You are far better off to have something to sell.

Right, someone else has to see value in the silver as well.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:05 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
I have a hard time imagining why gold or silver would have any value what so ever in a shtf event.

Seems like even a radio flyer wagon, or anything I can actually use to complete tasks, would be more valuable than 5 lbs of gold. (Won't even go into why food items, medicine etc. would be worth 10x their weight in gold)

Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Which would you be more willing to accept as payment in a SHTF scenario - or would be willing to pay for - 2015-2016 silver eagles or early Morgan/Peace Dollars? More silver in the Eagles but there is history to the Morgans/Peace Dollars that actually sell for more $$ right now than the eagles.
I am not in favor of Precious Metals for Post-SHTF prepping.

During the last Depression gold was confiscated. I am not convinced that our government would not repeat that again.

There are better trade goods.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 AM

136 posts, read 135,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
^^^ Really? I did not know that. What is the usual shelf life of liquid bleach, and what happens to it?

Edit: Interesting, I looked it up. Shelf life is a year at 70 degrees much less at higher temps - like my garage is about 105 in the summer. Where the bleach is stored... Powdered is a bit over 2 years. Probably would last longer I'd think.
It breaks down. A year or so max is the standard lifespan of your average bottle of bleach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness