Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:17 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
It breaks down. A year or so max is the standard lifespan of your average bottle of bleach.
Tablets last many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:44 AM

136 posts, read 135,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Tablets last many years.
Maybe so, but the bleach most people keep on hand is the liquid stuff. And of course with the liquid stuff you have the additional issue of the various scent additives. I think the "no slosh" stuff you see on the shelf now even has additives and isn't straight bleach.....

Old 03-17-2023, 04:17 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Neither, the premiums are too high on both coins; unless you're into numismatic(collectable).
Then a few Morgan dollars with key dates might be worth it.
As for bartering, it's already happening in Vermont; where last year farmers were trading produce for buffalo silver rounds.
Buying generic, minted in the USA silver rounds I feel is the most cost effective means when stacking silver.
To the above post, pre-1965 90% is good for small purchases; only the math makes the transaction confusing for your average not so bright American.
Unfortunately, fractional silver round mark-ups have always been high; and now junk(pre-65)is high due to the fact it can no longer be produced.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyOwesYouAnything View Post
Unfortunately, you are right even though it's pretty easy as $1.40 of 90% silver coins equates to roughly one ounce of silver. So many people can't figure out basic math on their own and need their phone's calculator to figure things out.

The problem with one-ounce rounds is covered in your last sentence - how do you make change for it for smaller trades?

I remember when very few people were interested in 90% and you could get it for just over spot from coin shops and at coin shows. Lately, the best price I have found is 18.5x last weekend before spot moved up over $1.00 this week. That equates to roughly $25.87/oz. Crazy times we are in!

The physical market has gone insane, which as you know; started with the 2020 shut down the planet for no reason fiasco.
What happens when silver goes up?, then you'd have to buy $50 worth of produce with that ounce.
It's one reason premiums on fractional gold and silver are so high, and junk dimes and quarters always sellout first. People like us think ahead, and create more demand.

$35.00 minimum for silver eagles, when there aren't really anymore security features than the same lady liberty round.

Metals for me are more of a hedge, a store of wealth that hopefully some day I can trade for a house; or perhaps trade enough of for something of value I need after an SHTF.
Honestly, if things play out the way it's already heading; food might be a better store of wealth.

Plus it's actually useful.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Neither, the premiums are too high on both coins; unless you're into numismatic(collectable).
Then a few Morgan dollars with key dates might be worth it.
As for bartering, it's already happening in Vermont; where last year farmers were trading produce for buffalo silver rounds.
Buying generic, minted in the USA silver rounds I feel is the most cost effective means when stacking silver.
To the above post, pre-1965 90% is good for small purchases; only the math makes the transaction confusing for your average not so bright American.
Unfortunately, fractional silver round mark-ups have always been high; and now junk(pre-65)is high due to the fact it can no longer be produced.
Some would argue that the premium is not too high. Sovereign coins don't have to be assayed to establish their silver content therefore value. If one is buying silver bars, rounds, spoons, etc it can be harder to find a buyer and they may offer you less money or barter for them due to them accepting more risk and/or accepting the same problem themselves down the road. There are phone apps one can use to establish if a sovereign coin is legitimate or not, I'm not aware of any such technology that would apply to a silver bar, spoon, or anything else. Remember, The US Mint requires it's dealers to buy the coins back at fair market value. You're essentially buying a sovereign coin that comes with an insurance policy. Last I looked, SD bullion was buying back coins over spot price. Non-coins were below spot value.

I agree the premiums are too high NOW, but several years ago the premium on an eagle or maple was largely insignificant to the cost of the coin.

Somebody else had pointed out the difficulty in "making change" with precious metals. The Romans would sometimes cut coins in half for this purpose, but I think between junk dimes and modern Eagles there are enough denominations on hand this shouldn't be a problem with silver. It's when dealing with gold that becomes a real problem. The mint does sell 1/10 ounce gold coins, and they are pretty small, but I bet the premiums on them are pretty steep right now.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Some would argue that the premium is not too high. Sovereign coins don't have to be assayed to establish their silver content therefore value. If one is buying silver bars, rounds, spoons, etc it can be harder to find a buyer and they may offer you less money or barter for them due to them accepting more risk and/or accepting the same problem themselves down the road. There are phone apps one can use to establish if a sovereign coin is legitimate or not, I'm not aware of any such technology that would apply to a silver bar, spoon, or anything else. Remember, The US Mint requires it's dealers to buy the coins back at fair market value. You're essentially buying a sovereign coin that comes with an insurance policy. Last I looked, SD bullion was buying back coins over spot price. Non-coins were below spot value.

I agree the premiums are too high NOW, but several years ago the premium on an eagle or maple was largely insignificant to the cost of the coin.

Somebody else had pointed out the difficulty in "making change" with precious metals. The Romans would sometimes cut coins in half for this purpose, but I think between junk dimes and modern Eagles there are enough denominations on hand this shouldn't be a problem with silver. It's when dealing with gold that becomes a real problem. The mint does sell 1/10 ounce gold coins, and they are pretty small, but I bet the premiums on them are pretty steep right now.

Just bought a sovereign gold coin from SD yesterday, and they just doubled their buy back silver round price to .80 over spot/bid.
With respect to fake silver coins, not long ago there were a bunch of counterfeit Kangaroos being sold online; the news blamed China...but not certain of course.
On silver rounds, I only buy direct from a U.S. mint; whose buffaloes are sold for $1.50 more on Apmex.
This at least provides me with some providence documentation, their website info; and phone number.
Plus their polishing process is very difficult to counterfeit.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Be careful with junk silver, esp Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes. They look exactly like modern coinage. Remember that we have a whole new generation of cashiers out there - young kids who were born long after the 90% coinage was withdrawn from circulation in 1965. They have no clue. You can argue with them all day long, that what you have is silver. It looks the same to them. They won't know what to do with it.

You also need to beware those who will want to give you 10 cents worth of stuff for a silver dime, as that's the value written on the coin. This is exactly what I mean by a currency not accepted or understood by the public. Silver coinage has not been money snce 1965. You're gonna have some fancy 'splainin to do, every time you want to use it.
Good point!

As it is, I tend to go for older than that, they had much better art work with the standing & walking Liberties, the Barbers.....still doesn't mean one won't run into the ignorant, however.

Another thing to ask, to this topic, assuming I didn't mention it YEARS ago....are Silver Eagles considered money? A number of years ago when I was buying old US currency, I wasn't charged sales tax because it was money and money was not taxed (by whatever law that said such).

Are Silver Eagles money......or not?

Old 03-20-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Are Silver Eagles money......or not?

I'll step away after butting in.
Yes, only the denominated amount on all government minted coins is substantially less than the value of the metals. Example being a US gold eagle 1 ounce coin is $50, while it's gold value is over $1,900.
They do this b/c the Fed Res values gold much lower in their own charts, they hate gold actually; as it exposes their fraud fiat currency for what it is.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:08 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I began collecting Morgan Silver Dollars when I was 10 years old. Being an avid coin collector comes in handy sometimes.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:45 PM

455 posts, read 306,302 times
Back in frontier days, the Spanish produced silver coins that were a worldwide medium of exchange. They were only made in one denomination, but people found a way to make change.

Since the coins were silver, they were soft and could be cut into 8 pie slices, so they were called pieces of 8.
In America, 2 pieces, or 2 bits, were a quarter, 4 bits were 50 cents, 6 bits were 75 cents.

Lots of people around here still refer to a quarter as 2 bits.

The Vikings wore armbands made of silver, and when they made a purchase, they'd chop off a chunk to pay, so it was called hack silver.
It went by weight, not denomination.

In my area, purchases were made with pinches of gold dust.

You can always make change with PMs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness