Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 05:53 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Very nice guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 08:59 PM

938 posts, read 424,419 times
Nope. Standing ground where I’m at.

Didn’t read past post #2

Old 01-14-2021, 09:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
60 Feet underwater

Old 01-18-2021, 11:35 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
State game lands when it's not hunting season. It's usually pretty quiet, but there's always eventually something. I've never gotten 12 full hours of no interference. A jet or rig horn always seems to pierce the sound of a breeze through the leaves.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:55 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
No anymore, unless the backyard garden counts (does to me). We moved and I lost walking on the beach (10 min away).
I have a small garage now though that is mine all mine as long as I don't mind cold in the winter and heat in the summer (not really). Wish it was bigger so didn't have to re-arrange for every project .

My dream house would be 80% garage and 20% house on a square foot basis.
Don't want a separate place to take care of but a large public park nearby would be great. Going there solitary? Not in these times.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:17 PM

416 posts, read 535,751 times
Tried the land and cabin and after 1 year we couldn`t take the quiet and having to drive miles to get a loaf of bread. Sold it and now 180 from everyone else. My place of joy or solitude (besides a race track) is building or rebuilding just about anything. Never have enough garage space or enough tools. Have my own hardware supply and car parts on hand. *Years ago in a past life it was walking thru Central Park on a Sunday afternoon.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
All winter long, all I have to do is climb into my truck and plow snow...plenty of solitude in there! I take one or more of the dogs with me, and they are just the right amount of company.

During the summer, I keep a small fishing boat out on a nearby lake. Best in the afternoon, when the heat really gets to me (I hate the heat!). Just me, the water, some fishing gear, and a cooler with a couple of cold ones. No cell phone. I'm in my own world out there!

Old 01-30-2021, 07:23 AM

167 posts, read 162,649 times
If I wanted peace and quiet, inside the house was not the best place to find them. With two kids that I love dearly, that just wasn't going to happen. Instead if I wanted to clear my head an be left alone I found mowing the lawn was the best way to do this. The kids (and wife), never bothered me.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:23 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Also, from another thread someone started on this board, some people like to drive to the park & just sit in their cars...not actually getting out of the car, but sitting in their car. I've never done that myself. If I go to the park, it's to go walking, but I can see how that could be someone's ONLY way to have peace.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Also, from another thread someone started on this board, some people like to drive to the park & just sit in their cars...not actually getting out of the car, but sitting in their car. I've never done that myself. If I go to the park, it's to go walking, but I can see how that could be someone's ONLY way to have peace.
Meet your average Long Distance Truck driver, They often LOVE the solitude of 'just driving'.. (It gives you a lot of time to think, especially if you do not use phone or tunes or books-on-tape.)

I like driving under a full moon preferably across the snow glistening prairie terrain. (you can see for many miles even in th dark (under moonlight)

Distant summer thunderstorms are pretty magnificent on the prairie as well. Just watch out for Alien Cattle Mutilations. BTDT in the 1970's.

For many farmers and ranchers... their BARN or bunkhouse or shop (or tractor) is their place of solitude.

My dog and a lot of grazing animals have their favorite places of solitude. I think the cows and sheep in NZ get the BEST solitude. No predators and a great view! (Ocean view one direction, and Mtns and glaciers if they turn around)

I spend a lot of time on rural country and forest roads on my very quiet motorcycle getting solitude and attitude (and altitude) adjustments. Swimming laps also works for me, I swim 70 - 100 laps / day)

I also have a nearby great public guest lodge where I escape to their library for solice (excellent view). I have never encountered another person there during weekdays (for over 30 yrs).

lots of (free) opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness