Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 05:04 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
water and sewage arent a problem, I lived on what to you would be a small plot of land out in the countryside, water came from the river and sewage was a hole in the ground, of course there was only one person and needs were minimal.
Was this in the UK?

Even many of the Amish here now are required to have either composting toilets or Porta-a-Johns (which are regularly emptied) in place of outhouses.

Yes, there are locales in the US that you could do what you did, at least short term, but they're few and far between or extremely isolated (think interior Alaska).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 05:50 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
In New York State you can buy cheap land, about 2 hours north of the city it's rural and summer is short and not too many people around and that's the reason it's cheap.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:07 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Was this in the UK?

Even many of the Amish here now are required to have either composting toilets or Porta-a-Johns (which are regularly emptied) in place of outhouses.

Yes, there are locales in the US that you could do what you did, at least short term, but they're few and far between or extremely isolated (think interior Alaska).
yes this was in the UK. I lived like this for 12 years, slept in an old wooden caravan/trailer, growing my own food and shooting small game for meat.
probably now would need to have a septic tank, when I lived on Dartmoor (different time, different location-had a Tinners cottage that time) had a brick "soakaway" but I'm not sure these are legal now.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:53 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Millions live on BLM land in Arizona each year. You just move around every couple of weeks.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
How about $2k per acre affordable? Is that a pipedream or year-2000 type prices?
Reminds me of 10-15 years ago when they were selling 40 acres of land at that price......down around Marfa.

It was beautiful wild land but for me, with the cash to buy such, there were a number of problems. First, no water. Second, my life is in central Texas and to reach that land, I would need a small airplane.

Finally, that land is in the war zone of the border. Now, at the time when I could have bought, I was just being romantic with the reported border incursions.........but we aren't beating around the bush now.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:08 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Millions live on BLM land in Arizona each year. You just move around every couple of weeks.
Millions?

Old 06-07-2023, 11:41 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Millions?
Many tens of thousands for sure around Quartzsite, Yuma and other low elevation parts of AZ from October to April. In the hot weather months they move up to BLM land in higher elevations in the western mountain states. Millions would be an overstatement, but at times in Quartzsite it might not seem like it.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:55 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Though most Americans are unaware, only qualified ownership of estate is subject to ad valorem taxes (property taxes). Absolute ownership of private property is a right (and not subject to taxation).
No government instituted to secure endowed rights can tax them. Only government privileges are taxable.
Unfortunately, the "defenders of the status quo" won't divulge this. You will have to read your own state constitution and statutes to see the truth.
-----snip
[/indent]Check your own state constitution and statutes to verify that private property is explicitly protected, whereas qualified ownership of estate ("real estate", "real property", "tangible property", etc) is subject to taxation and restriction.
More sov cit irrelevant definitions from a dictionary. No state that has property taxes is going to exempt property from taxation as you describe.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:49 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
More sov cit irrelevant definitions from a dictionary. No state that has property taxes is going to exempt property from taxation as you describe.
[a] there is no such thing as a sovereign citizen. It is an oxymoron. Those who use it are just . . . ahem.
[b] no state imposes a tax on private property. all ad valorem taxes are limited to estate (held with qualified ownership). I stipulate I have not read all state constitutions, but the ones I did check do protect private property and only tax estate.
[c] do not believe me - go read your own state constitution and statutes.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:02 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
I grew up in Southern Ohio, and thought maybe land back there would still be "cheap". Nope.

Here's about the cheapest thing I saw - 7 acres, $35k, but note that "no building that will create an effluent discharge sewage system permitted"...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/L...78823262_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness