Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 06:40 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I tried using a shovel and a pick.
What about planting seedlings? It will take a few more years but the tree will do all the work.

I put T-posts into lava rock with an SDS drill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 05:30 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,217,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
What about planting seedlings? It will take a few more years but the tree will do all the work.

I put T-posts into lava rock with an SDS drill.
At the next arbor day tree giveaway I plan on trying to plant one or two in my spare lot which is not as rocky. My lot is limited by the location of my sewer field lines. The spare lot (.35/acre) has a lot of trees, but I lost four of my seven dogwood trees last winter. I need some younger trees growing. I have a neighbor that tried to rescue a Redbud tree last year, but the cold (-5) weather killed it. There is a lot of new homes going up and lots are being cleared taking a lot of young trees with it. A lot across from me has two pretty maple trees that I thought about rescuing, but I need trees that grows in shade.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:00 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,210,311 times
Meanwhile, back at the OP .... Is there any cheap land for sale anymore in America? ....Trump Taj Mahal was liquidated for about 4 cents on the dollar. Keep an eye out for properties bearing that name

Old 06-25-2023, 05:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
There is 100 acres (or maybe 150 I forget if both parcels they own are included) or so for sale down the road from me for less than 1000 an acre. Recently logged. The catch? The road is not plowed in winter or maintained. No zoning. Get a state septic permit and no one will care how you live. I have a neighbor living in a bus. Yes cheap land exists which is okay land but it will take effort to find

Old 06-25-2023, 05:28 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Meanwhile, back at the OP .... Is there any cheap land for sale anymore in America? ....Trump Taj Mahal was liquidated for about 4 cents on the dollar. Keep an eye out for properties bearing that name
Seriously, that's your studied input?

Get help.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:18 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,071,364 times
Sunshine Valley Ranchettes.....just south of Deming, New Mexico

You can get 1 acre for about $2000.....

Nice views of the rugged Florida Mountains.

Less than 20 miles from the Mexican border.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:18 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
MY FAVORITE STORY - - -

An immigrant from Sicily worked hard to save up enough to buy some land to put in an orchard, like his family had in the old country. Bought a big chunk of land in sunny California (Fresno). Turns out that the soil was rock hard and useless - and the summer heat was brutal. (Oi!)
So he excavated an underground garden, complete with citrus trees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest...ground_Gardens
[/indent]
It's funny you should mention this since I just watched a story on this about a week ago. This wonderful story isn't in the OP's target area, but it showcases what can be done using ingenuity, and lots of very hard work. Amazing story from an equally amazing YT channel encouraging folks to think outside the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKRPoQKynk

------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 06-25-2023 at 11:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2023, 10:35 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I don't suppose you've bothered to consider how clean drinking water and sewage disposal are magically going to present themselves on your el-cheapo land with your travel trailer.
Rainwater catchement systems, and composting toilets. Also greywater systems. If these are allowed. People living offgrid live this way all the time. It's nothing new. But you have to live where they are allowed.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:36 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
More sov cit garbage. Texas doesn't recognize "private property" as you called it. All land in Texas has two estates, the surface estate and the mineral estate that is underground. The two estates can be, and often are, severed and have different ownership. Each estate is taxable at separate rates and valuations. A mineral estate may have zero value, and thus not be taxed.

Provide an example of so called "private property" that is not subject to taxation when owned by a non-exempt entity.
Thank you for the kind words of support. Insults are high praise (I blush). They indicate capitulation, lacking facts in rebuttal.

FIRST OFF

All land is NOT real estate. And I have yet to find one statute levying a tax on PRIVATE PROPERTY.
LAND. ... The land is one thing, and the estate in land is another thing, for an estate in land is a time in land or land for a time.
- - -Black's Law dictionary, sixth ed., p.877

"ESTATE - The degree, quantity, nature and extent of interest which a person has in real and personal property. An estate in lands, tenements, and hereditaments signifies such interest as the tenant has therein." Black's Law dictionary, sixth ed., p.547

"REAL ESTATE .... is synonymous with real property"
Black's Law dictionary, sixth ed., p.1263

"REAL PROPERTY ... A general term for lands, tenements, heriditaments; which on the death of the owner intestate, passes to his heir."
Black's Law dictionary, sixth ed., p.1218
Estate is interest in "real and personal property", which boils down to qualified ownership... A TAXABLE privilege.
PROPERTY TAX - An ad valorem tax, usually levied by a city or county, on the value of real or personal property that the taxpayer owns on a specified date.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth ed., p.1218

"OWNERSHIP - ... Ownership of property is either absolute or qualified. The ownership of property is absolute when a single person has the absolute dominion over it... The ownership is qualified when it is shared with one or more persons, when the time of enjoyment is deferred or limited, or when the use is restricted."
- - -Black's Law dictionary, sixth ed., p. 1106
IN CONTRAST

This is the legal reference for "private property" which is constitutionally protected.
PRIVATE PROPERTY - As protected from being taken for public uses, is such property as belongs absolutely to an individual, and of which he has the exclusive right of disposition. Property of a specific, fixed and tangible nature, capable of being in possession and transmitted to another, such as houses, lands, and chattels.
- - Black's Law dictionary, sixth ed., p.1217
When I did a computer search on the words "private property", the only place private property is mentioned, is in the section dealing with water works. In Article 11- Sec.12, Texas Constitution

Sec. 12. EXPENDITURES FOR RELOCATION OR REPLACEMENT OF SANITATION SEWER OR WATER LATERALS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
The legislature by general law may authorize a city or town to expend public funds for the relocation or replacement of sanitation sewer laterals or water laterals on PRIVATE PROPERTY if the relocation or replacement is done in conjunction with or immediately following the replacement or relocation of sanitation sewer mains or water mains serving the property. The law must authorize the city or town to affix, with the CONSENT OF THE OWNER of the PRIVATE PROPERTY, a lien on the property for the cost of relocating or replacing the laterals on the property and must provide that the cost shall be assessed against the property with repayment by the property owner to be amortized over a period not to exceed five years at a rate of interest to be set as provided by the law. The lien may not be enforced until after five years have expired since the date the lien was affixed.
Without consent of the owner, the State or local government cannot affix a lien, nor assess against the property, nor compel repayment.
But you can bet that "real estate" would have a lien on it, in a New York minute.

In short, private property is still protected by government.

Do you wish to keep deceiving others with non-facts?

Perhaps you are unaware that american governments instituted to secure RIGHTS cannot tax rights.
" Any claim that this statute is a taxing statute would be immediately open to severe constitutional objections. If it could be said that the state had the POWER TO TAX A RIGHT, this would enable the state to DESTROY RIGHTS guaranteed by the constitutions through the use of oppressive taxation. The question herein, is one of the state taxing the right of travel by the ordinary modes of the day, and whether this is a legitimate object of state taxation. The views advanced herein are neither novel nor unsupported by authority. The question of the taxing power of the states has been repeatedly considered by the High Court. The right of the states to impede or embarrass the constitutional operations of the the U.S. Government or the Rights which the citizens hold under it, has been uniformly denied."
- - - McCulloch v. Maryland 4 Wheat 316.

"A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the Federal Constitution."
- - - Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105, at 113 (1943).
WHERE does it say that private property ownership is an endowed right?
" PERSONAL LIBERTY, or the Right to enjoyment of life and liberty, is one of the fundamental or natural Rights, which has been protected by its inclusion as a guarantee in the various constitutions, which is not derived from, or dependent on, the U.S. Constitution, which may not be submitted to a vote and may not depend on the outcome of an election. It is one of the most sacred and valuable Rights, as sacred as the Right to private property...and is regarded as inalienable."
- - - 16 Corpus Juris Secundum , Constitutional Law, Sect.202, p.987.
Hmmm, that's not conclusive.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness,” the latter being a wonderful Jeffersonian euphemism for private property.
- - - From “Security, Trade and Environmental Policy” by Charles Bonser

[Declaration of Independence quote from above] This is clearly the intellectual product of the Enlightenment, and further back of Western individualism and capitalism if the pursuit of happiness is glossed as a euphemism for the right to private property.
- - - The Triumph and Tragedy of the Intellectuals: Evil, Enlightenment, and Death, by Harry Redner
If you retort that the Declaration of Independence is not law, please read STATUTE #1 of the Statutes at Large of the United States of America.
(it's the declaration)

https://web.archive.org/web/20120119...aw/sal/sal.htm
Note: Download link - takes too long for PDF to load in browser!

On page one, of the United States Statutes at Large, is the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.

The Declaration of Independence Part of American Law
Professor John Eidsmoe writes:
"The role of the Declaration of Independence in American law is often misconstrued. Some believe the Declaration is simply a statement of ideas that has no legal force whatsoever today. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Declaration has been repeatedly cited by the U.S. Supreme Court as part of the fundamental law of the United States of America.

"The United States Code Annotated includes the Declaration of Independence under the heading 'The Organic Laws of the United States of America' along with the Articles of Confederation, the Constitution, and the Northwest Ordinance. Enabling acts frequently require states to adhere to the principles of the Declaration; in the Enabling Act of June 16, 1906, Congress authorized Oklahoma Territory to take steps to become a state. Section 3 provides that the Oklahoma Constitution 'shall not be repugnant to the Constitution of the United States and the principles of the Declaration of Independence.'

Old 06-26-2023, 06:43 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Thank you for the kind words of support. Insults are high praise (I blush). They indicate capitulation, lacking facts in rebuttal.

FIRST OFF

All land is NOT real estate. And I have yet to find one statute levying a tax on PRIVATE PROPERTY.
Once again, a giant screed based on sov cit garbage.

Your definition of so called private property does not exist in the United States.

Black's Law dictionary is not law. It's a...dictionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness