Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Depends what sort of crisis you are expecting now doesn't it?

How about a large asteroid impact? Living further North is going to get extra icey for a couple years...you could be in a lot of trouble. Of course living near an ocean would mitigate the temperature but then if the asteroid hits water near you....well, glub glub.

Pro's and con's to various scenarios....you are all forgetting nuclear war too. That's what spawned a big part of the whole survival industry 40+ years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,020 times
If the end is coming, I want to spend my last days in my Strato Lounger, with my stuff. I like my stuff. It makes this place Home. Better than meeting my end, down some dusty road to nowhere.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Great point, I have yet to find an area prettier than northern ID and I'm sure that goes for many parts of the north, but damn it's cold up there.

I do know nowhere is perfect and it's always taking the good with the bad I guess I am just thinking if there were no power I would rather not freeze to death

Low taxes are important to me as well as the least amount of government intrusion I can find.

Thanks for you your input.
Tennessee has all that. I live on the plateau and the weather is different here then any other place in TN. The western part of TN has lots of farms. Around Mcminnville are tons of nurseries. We do get tornadoes though, more so in the west but we still get them up here.
Taxes are low, especially in Cumberland County, but it shows. The only thing I don't like is that they tax food. Sales tax is 7% but cities usually tack on another 2 to 3%. Property taxes are low. No state income tax.
People around here do not like anyone telling them how to live.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Tennessee has all that. I live on the plateau and the weather is different here then any other place in TN. The western part of TN has lots of farms. Around Mcminnville are tons of nurseries. We do get tornadoes though, more so in the west but we still get them up here.
Taxes are low, especially in Cumberland County, but it shows. The only thing I don't like is that they tax food. Sales tax is 7% but cities usually tack on another 2 to 3%. Property taxes are low. No state income tax.
Sounds like My kinda people--Happy Holidays

Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
... Property taxes are low. No state income tax.
Many states have no income tax, or none for low income families.

Exactly how 'low' are property taxes in Tenn?

How much per acre?

Here in Maine, I live in the one county with the highest mil-rates in the state, we pay $1.05 / acre.

How much lower is Tenn?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Many states have no income tax, or none for low income families.

Exactly how 'low' are property taxes in Tenn?

How much per acre?

Here in Maine, I live in the one county with the highest mil-rates in the state, we pay $1.05 / acre.

How much lower is Tenn?
I don't lnow the exact rate, but I live on a 1/4 acre lot in a POA subdivision with a home value of around $100,000. My yearly property tax is around $185.00

My POA fees are more than my property taxes.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Now remember I live in Cumberland County, we have the lowest property taxes in the state. That is why so many people retire here. It is higher in other parts of the state.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I don't lnow the exact rate, but I live on a 1/4 acre lot in a POA subdivision with a home value of around $100,000. My yearly property tax is around $185.00

My POA fees are more than my property taxes.
Wow--I live in 70" by 70" metallic building, with no set back. and my land taxes or over $7000.00 a year. something is wrong here.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
maybe a mild climate but im not sure. what i am sure of is you must bloom where you are planted.
otherwise you end up a hothouse plant, the slightest storm or cold snap and you are done.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Now if I were to live in the city of Crossville my taxes would be higher. I have and they were, I had three parcels of land one was commercial and my taxes were still under $1000.00 for the year. That's why the population of Crossville is only around 10,000 while the county has a population of 50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness