Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,508 times

Advertisements

I would tip the driver, but here it seems rather silly and a waste of money to even order delivery when I can just order over the phone and pick it up myself when the pizza place is nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I always tip well regardless of who it is. The reason people don't tip the pizza delivery person is the pizza joints started charging a delivery charge. In the past, they never charged that. The pizza delivery charge is used by the pizza joints to pay for the driver's insurance. I'm sorry but that is just their way of putting additional costs of running a business on the customer. Many people don't feel that is fair. You are charging us a delivery charge and we are expected to tip on top of it. This is why people don't tip. They don't realize the driver sees nothing of that delivery charge.

My solution is I pick up my own pizza because you don't have to pay a delivery charge or tip. I can pick up my pizza in 10-15 minutes. If I choose delivery, I won't receive my pizza for one hour.

If I choose to have my pizza delivered, I always tip well. To me, it's like paying for valet or any premium service. You receive additional service so you have to pay for it. No one is forcing you to choose delivery. You can pick up your pizza.
The pizza place does not pay for the drivers insurance. My husband has a second job delivering pizzas and he has to pay for his own insurance.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
One of the restaurants I had would deliver and at one business the orders would be around 12 to 15 people.

Every one would ad a $1 to his or her order as a tip. The girl that worked the front desk would place the orders and take the extra buck that was my drivers tip and use it to pay for her meal and stiff my drivers

This girl didn't work on Wednesdays so my drivers would always get a tip then. It got so bad that my drivers wanted to quit if they had to deliver to that business.

I stopped delivering to them and some of the employees started eating in. They begged me to start delivering to them and I explained what was going on. They promised me that it would never happen again.

I told them that I would start delivering but if this girl stiffed another driver I would never deliver again. Well wouldn't you know the first day we delivered this girl stiffed my driver. I told my driver to not hand over the order until he received payment and if she stiffed him to just hand her the money back and return the food.

They call wanting to know why we didn't deliver and I told them what happened and to never call an order in again.

busta

Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
I would tip the driver, but here it seems rather silly and a waste of money to even order delivery when I can just order over the phone and pick it up myself when the pizza place is nearby.
I get pizza delivered when my kids have friends over. I always pay with a check and tip the driver with cash.

Last week I ordered a small pizza for my son and a friend and figured I would just pick it up because its right up the street. When I ordered I asked them how much so I can make the check out at home and bring it with me.

I show up with no money, just a check and my drivers licenses. The girl behind the counter looks at me funny and tells me they don't take checks. I tell her that they always deliver to my house and I always pay with a check.

She tells me that they only take checks for delivery and not if you pick it up because with delivery they know where you live. I told her that when I ordered I used my home phone and they knew my address because she even confirmed it thinking it was a delivery order.

She said that may be true but because I'm picking it up they didn't know where I lived. I told her that you can't be that stupid to not see that the address on your computer is the same as the address on my check and drivers licenses.

I guess I should have said OK and went home and called and said I changed my mind I want it delivered.

busta

Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 45,536 times
Default Reprehensible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
One of the restaurants I had would deliver and at one business the orders would be around 12 to 15 people.

Every one would ad a $1 to his or her order as a tip. The girl that worked the front desk would place the orders and take the extra buck that was my drivers tip and use it to pay for her meal and stiff my drivers

This girl didn't work on Wednesdays so my drivers would always get a tip then. It got so bad that my drivers wanted to quit if they had to deliver to that business.

I stopped delivering to them and some of the employees started eating in. They begged me to start delivering to them and I explained what was going on. They promised me that it would never happen again.

I told them that I would start delivering but if this girl stiffed another driver I would never deliver again. Well wouldn't you know the first day we delivered this girl stiffed my driver. I told my driver to not hand over the order until he received payment and if she stiffed him to just hand her the money back and return the food.

They call wanting to know why we didn't deliver and I told them what happened and to never call an order in again.

busta
Good for you. That is just reprehensible. If they were told that she was doing this and then didn't specifically make sure that it didn't happen again - they don't deserve your good service. At my former job, I suspected that someone was doing that with our delivery folks and I made sure that she Never paid for the food again; I did it myself. The stealing cretin is a jerk but the fellow employees who didn't stop her when they knew what she was doing deserve to lose this convenience and are jerks as well. As someone with friends and family who work in the service industries, I am a big advocate of a minimum 15-20% tip and more when the service is exception. Also, as someone who lives rurally, I long for pizza delivery and these people abuse it? I'm jealous and now I'm also hungry.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
I worked my way through college many years ago delivering for Domino's. I certainly wasn't making money had over fist, so I always tip well.

One time, I delivered some pizzas to Joe Paterno's house (yes, I went to Penn State). The total was $39.50...he gave me two $20s and told me to "keep the change". What a cheapskate.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
If one cannot afford to tip, one cannot afford to eat out (or have food delivered).

It's that simple.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I always figure that if I can afford to order pizza that I can afford to tip. Pizza delivery people are usually "kids" in school or folks between jobs. They both need the tips.
Exactly. Plus, I remember being a college kid delivering pizzas to help pay my tuition and scraping by. Now that I know longer am...I'm giving a little bit back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
2 dollars is a horrible tip
I disagree (to a point). If it is something like $15-$20 for a pizza, I think $2 is fair. Unlike a bartender or waitress who might be serving you for an extended period of time, the driver is just there for a moment, they are not providing a high level of service. Now if its a larger order than, yeah, I would tip more. But if I'm ordering a single pizza or a single order of chinese food, my tip is usually in the $2 range. Oh...and if the weather is really bad, I'll bump up the tip amount too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Sorry YOU choose this Job, I am not paying for you're vehicle Maintance. Thats you're Choice you made by taking this JOB...
To the Midwestern Bookworm: .... who are you to judge people ?
You mean like the way you are judging the delivery drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I can't believe some of these cheap, tight-as-bark, mean spirited buggers. I do take solace in the knowledge that they're most certainly getting some extra ingrediants on their pizzas.
And they probably should be giving the pizza guy something a little extra for having to brave the environs of the scary, run-down trailer park on the edge of town to complete their delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltz View Post
Usually when I see people who don't tip, or don't know how to tip, it seems to be a class issue.
Yes...a lack thereof.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
When I was young, my second job was delivery pizza. The restaurant paid me $5 an hour and I worked around 3 hours a night. So the paycheck basically covered the gas I used. To profit, customers had to tip me. A lot of times they didn't tip me.

Sometimes I would deliver about $125 worth of food to a large family that threw some sort of get-together party almost weekly and although I was clean, friendly etc they'd give me exactly $0 and it would take a lot of time helping take their pizzas out of the oven at the restaurant, slicing them, loading them into my car, drive to their house, walk them to the door and drive back to the restaurant.

Sometimes I would deliver very large food orders to a local church that never tipped me. I think their reasoning was probably that they were a church and thus could get away with not tipping.

Sometimes I would delivery large party orders to a fire station and it was the same thing; no tip because they are a fire station.

Sometimes I would delivery to a large accounting building full of upperclass management types. Same thing; large food orders, no tip.

Eventually my car broke down, the owner of the restaurant told me I could deliver once my car was fixed but it costed me about $800 to get my car fixed. I lost a lot of money working there.

Make no mistake about it; Delivery Driver is a job that no one wants to pay for, not the restaurant owner and not the customer. Being a delivery driver is like running a charity service for the business and customer and what you're giving both of them is the use of your car. Someone has to cover the expense of the destruction of the delivery person's car or else there's no point in that person delivering food.

'Delivery Driver' is a job that has no business existing in a community that is unwilling to pay for it.

Last edited by Jacknine456; 09-07-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
I worked for Domino's in the summer of 1985 after graduating high school. I got paid the minimum wage at the time plus a little more. We also got a commission based on how many pizzas we delivered and got to keep all our tips.

I did OK on tips, not everyone tipped, of course. My favorite customer was delivering to the bartender at a hotel bar. It was maybe a mile from the store and he always tipped four or five dollars. If I saw he had an order up I always tried to grab it if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products