Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hmmm. Just yesterday at Costco: ahead of me, a man, busy on his iPhone. Too busy to notice the line had moved and the conveyor belt was nearing empty.
This is when I politely ask the person in front of me that I'll be happy to take his/her place in line until s/he is ready to give their full attention to checking out.

Too bad the cashiers can't do this ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is when I politely ask the person in front of me that I'll be happy to take his/her place in line until s/he is ready to give their full attention to checking out.

Too bad the cashiers can't do this ...
We have several stores that actually do this. It is great. A cashier at one of the stores told me that some management was worried that it would push customers away at first, but then they found that they were getting more customers because everyone enjoyed it so much.

FTR: I pull out my card while I am waiting to even put my items on the belt. It then either slide it into my pocket, or into a very easy to reach outer pocket of my purse. After I load everything onto the belt, I can pull my card out without even having to look at it and can swipe it while the cashier is ringing up my items. When the total comes up, I accept the amount and get my receipt back at the same time they are loading the last bag into my cart.
It is easy and I am not wasting time that I could spend either doing the million other things I have to do that day, or cutting into very precious family time.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Men like to pull out a big ol' pocketful of change and pick over it like there might be a mercury dime that found it way in there somehow, lol.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Hmmmm....to add some more advice to the OP stop overstating things and get a kindle and just read during your hours of wait time in the checkout line. I cashier at Gap and have yet to have a customer spend 30 minutes fumbling for a credit card.
Impressive occupation.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Impressive occupation.

Thanks i love it! Im very lucky to be able to work there.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:58 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Perfectly put. And I can add another 10 minutes while they frantically seach their entire Rosie O'Donnell purse, looking for the one last, long lost penny, that will make exact change.

Reminds me of the differences between men and women, while using a drive through ATM machine.

MALE PROCEDURE:
1. Drive up to the cash machine.
2. Put down your car window.
3. Insert card into machine and enter PIN.
4. Enter amount of cash required and withdraw.
5. Retrieve card, cash & receipt.
6. Put window up.
7. Drive off

FEMALE PROCEDURE:
1. Drive up to cash machine.
2. Reverse car the required amount to align car window with machine.
3. Set parking brake, put the window down.
4. Find handbag, remove all contents onto passenger seat to locate card.
5. Tell person on cell phone you will call them back and hang up.
6. Attempt to insert card into machine.
7. Open car door to allow easier access to machine due to it's excessive distance from the car.
8. Insert card.
9. Re-insert card the right way.
10. Dig through handbag to find diary; with your PIN written on the inside of the back page
11. Enter PIN.
12. Press cancel and re-enter correct PIN.
13. Enter amount of cash required.
14. Check makeup in rear view mirror.
15. Retrieve cash and receipt.
16. Empty handbag again to locate purse and place cash inside.
17. Write debit amount in cheque register and place receipt in back of cheque book.
18. Re-check makeup.
19. Drive forward 2 feet.
20. Reverse back to cash machine.
21. Retrieve card.
22. Re-empty handbag, locate card holder, and place card in slot provided.
23. Give dirty look to irate male driver waiting behind you.
24. Restart stalled engine and pull off.
25. Redial person on cell phone.
26. Drive for 2 - 3 miles.
27. Release hand brake.
This is so inappropriate and so sexist... and so true .

Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Men - Shopping is a hunting expedition. The dead animal in the bag will start rotting quickly and other hunters will want some of it, so it is best to get it home and stored away quickly.

Women - Shopping is a social occasion. It is important to make personal connections with as many people as possible, and if that doesn't seem to be working, calling someone is an alternative. The more time in the store, the more the apparel of the other gatherers can be examined and compared.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM

419 posts, read 466,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Because I'm am so tired of being over-charged for items that I'm busy looking at the amount which each item is being rung up. I guess you're even be madder at me when I tell the cashier, "Um no. Those noodles are not $9.99, but $0.99."

PRICE CHECK!
How in the world will having your card out and ready stop you from watching your items being scanned? Before I leave the house, I take out the card that I'm going to use and put it in a side pocket (my jeans, side pocket of my coat, or even the side pocket of my purse). It needs to be somewhere I can find it in a nanosecond.

Then I'm ready to stand there and watch - like you - to be sure the items are scanned correctly, that the $2.00 off coupon on the product is caught, etc., BUT I'm also ready with my card the minute it's totalled up. You needn't sacrifice one for the other.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM

419 posts, read 466,005 times
Also, I was in line once behind an older couple who did take a long time to get their card out, they couldn't figure out how to scan it, etc., etc. Realizing that I, too, am headed into the "older" time of my life too fast for my taste, I was waiting quietly. The older gentleman turned to me and said, "I'm so sorry to keep you waiting." I smiled and said, "I'm fine, sometimes stuff happens. Take your time." Unfortunately, I heard a fellow behind me make some nasty cracks under his breath.

So when it was my turn, I watched the cashier ring up every item, I questioned her on a couple (with a wink, she knew exactly what I was doing and why), I waited until she finished everything, THEN I grabbed my checkbook (yep, left the debit card in the wallet), I SLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWLLLLY wrote my check, and probably took about 3 times what my normal is. I honestly thought the guy behind me was going to implode. Hahaha, I loved it. I was going to say something snarky, but figured I was pushing my luck the way he was glaring. I doubt he was smart enough to connect the dots.

I can relate to those who get angry at people who take forever. I have often wanted to throttle someone. Especially those folks who ring up 500 items, then . . . at the last minute say, "Oh, I forgot XXX, I'll be right back," and sprint away. However, if it's an elderly, sweet couple in front who are honestly having issues --- how can you possibly be a jerk? That's just wrong.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
Also, I was in line once behind an older couple who did take a long time to get their card out, they couldn't figure out how to scan it, etc., etc. Realizing that I, too, am headed into the "older" time of my life too fast for my taste, I was waiting quietly. The older gentleman turned to me and said, "I'm so sorry to keep you waiting." I smiled and said, "I'm fine, sometimes stuff happens. Take your time." Unfortunately, I heard a fellow behind me make some nasty cracks under his breath.

So when it was my turn, I watched the cashier ring up every item, I questioned her on a couple (with a wink, she knew exactly what I was doing and why), I waited until she finished everything, THEN I grabbed my checkbook (yep, left the debit card in the wallet), I SLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWLLLLY wrote my check, and probably took about 3 times what my normal is. I honestly thought the guy behind me was going to implode. Hahaha, I loved it. I was going to say something snarky, but figured I was pushing my luck the way he was glaring. I doubt he was smart enough to connect the dots.

I can relate to those who get angry at people who take forever. I have often wanted to throttle someone. Especially those folks who ring up 500 items, then . . . at the last minute say, "Oh, I forgot XXX, I'll be right back," and sprint away. However, if it's an elderly, sweet couple in front who are honestly having issues --- how can you possibly be a jerk? That's just wrong.

Yes yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products