Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You can pay for a Costco membership by savings on gas alone. It is often 30 cents cheaper per gallon.

And you can purchase Costco gift cards that you can give to friends and family members, they can use them at the pump even if they don't have a membership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I wish our Costco had gas.
You should petition for a Costco gas station

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I forgot about the gas, too!
Forgot about the gas stations and that's the best part
The only problem with Costco gas by my house is, it's always full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
And at my Costco, I have never seen a group of more unhappy looking employees.
You may need to move to Southern California because our Costco workers are always happy out here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
A big package of Wholly Guacamole in single-serve packages. You can freeze the packages and put one single-serve pack in your lunch bag to squeeze out on your sandwich or salad.

Dog beds: really nice big fluffy beds with good support for $26.00.
Is this a new Costco item? I had asked them if they had this a few months ago and they said no. I will be so happy if they added this to their inventory!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
I think Costco makes the most financial sense if you use it regularly as a part of your regular grocery shopping. I live close to one so it's just as easy to go to Costco as it is to go to the local grocer and I buy most of our groceries there. The amount I save buy buying in bulk outweighs the extra money spent on the membership fee.

I know people who buy a membership and then only go in a couple of times a year to stock up on certain items like TP and paper towels, canned goods, etc. I think when doing it this way (only coming in a couple of times a year for big shopping trips) you end up not saving money because you're not able to make up the difference of the membership fee. In order for it to make financial sense, you have to be able to save more money on purchases then you have spent on your membership fee.

Costco employees at my store have been there for years. There seems to be very low turnover and they are a friendly and helpful bunch.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I would, but we are planning to relocate anyway and the nearest Costco there has gas! The only downside is my Costco now is 5 miles away and the other one will be 15+ so fewer and bigger trips will be in our future. At least I'll get to gas up there to offset the longer drive.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:27 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post

Forgot about the gas stations and that's the best part
The only problem with Costco gas by my house is, it's always full

You may need to move to Southern California because our Costco workers are always happy out here
I have to agree. Here in the Denver area, the Costco workers are crazy-helpful - almost as fanatical as the Trader Joe's folks.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think Costco makes the most financial sense if you use it regularly as a part of your regular grocery shopping. I live close to one so it's just as easy to go to Costco as it is to go to the local grocer and I buy most of our groceries there. The amount I save buy buying in bulk outweighs the extra money spent on the membership fee.

I know people who buy a membership and then only go in a couple of times a year to stock up on certain items like TP and paper towels, canned goods, etc. I think when doing it this way (only coming in a couple of times a year for big shopping trips) you end up not saving money because you're not able to make up the difference of the membership fee. In order for it to make financial sense, you have to be able to save more money on purchases then you have spent on your membership fee.

Costco employees at my store have been there for years. There seems to be very low turnover and they are a friendly and helpful bunch.
I dunno - my first time there, when I bought all my staples, paper products and cleaning supplies (JUST ran out of my garbage bags two years later), I'm pretty sure I made all my membership fees back on that one trip. But I do shop there regularly and I've become pretty disciplined about it, so I think I save quite a bit over the long term.

On the rare occasions I buy clothing there, I've really liked it. I've had two years out of my Calvin Klein winter coat ($40) so far and I wear the $20 sweaters I bought last fall ALL The time. I'm not so thrilled with the underwear, but I love the socks, too.

I'm setting money aside for a deep freezer and a FoodSaver though - i currently have a very small freezer, and I need to more room. If I don't have easy "heat up" meals when I'm under deadline, I hit the fast-food joints!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I make a list before I go to Costco, and I stick to it. Yesterday my purchases fit in the seat portion of the cart. I needed coffee, bagels and nuts. Even just shopping for a few things is worth it, if you keep abreast of sales at the grocery stores.

I go about once a month, and buy:
coffee
dog food and meds (glucosamine/chondroitin)
bagels
meat, but not chicken. I really don't care for the Kirkland chicken.
contact lens solution
melatonin
bacon

My husband likes the Kirkland t-shirts, and also their jeans. Great prices on them too.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Well we buy many of the items listed in the previous posts, just a few comments.

Costco does box our purchases except for items like TP where it doesn't make sense.

They will also load your purchases in your vehicle if you want them to.

Customer service is outstanding with exceptional warranties.

The extra services offered by Costco is outstanding like travel, pharmacy, eye glasses and hearing aids.

As I said in another thread, Costco is much more than just food.

http://www.costco.com

Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Shop and eat carefully or you will spend more money at Coscto than you will at traditional grocery stores using coupons and circular. Costco sells ridiculously large portions of everything. Guess what happens when you buy giant portions of everything? That's right, you may be spending less per unit, but ultimately you spend more.

Not only might you spend more, but you might get fat. The best example is what I like to call their "nuclear" chicken. They are the biggest chickens I've ever seen (and very tasty), and cost no more than a normal-sized chicken at your local grocery store. But if you eat more of it (and everything else), you may get fat.

The prior poster mentioned pistachios, which is a perfect example. You spend less per nut, but ultimately you eat more and spend more. She also said, "Have fun! It's hard to shop there because things keep jumping in my cart!" Exactly. Stuff you never would have bought if you didn't shop at Costco.

Costco seems to have a cult following. I will get slammed for what I just said. I also don't like the membership fee, the longer distance from my house that wastes gasoline (not their fault), the parking lot, the ugly warehouse atmosphere, the ridiculously long lines, the lack of help on the floor, and the lack of grocery bags (you're on your own). I was happy to let my membership expire (especially after wasting $55 on a cool looking space heater I really didn't need).

And what's with the obsession with paper towel and toilet paper? It's mind boggling, especially when for an extra dollar you can get the same thing on sale at your local store.

Slam away.
So much of this is just wrong.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:22 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
My freezer has 3 boxes of the French Onion Soup because they do not always carry it...if your store is out,
they should get some in around October. Love it...it is my dinner many nights.
Rotisserie Chicken is a great deal @ $4.99 for 3+ lbs. chicken

Kudzu...definitely check out the dog beds! They have the best beds for $20 - $35. The selection changes every so often so if you find something you like - stock up!

The gourmet cheese section is pretty good as well as the wine department.

Steaks are great...my favorite is Prime Ribeye.

They have added quite a bit of organics in the last year or so.

The samples are great to try new items and they tend to give generous samples.

Everything in the Bakery is big (and tasty). The 1/2 sheet cake is a bargain if you are having a party. Seriously...it feeds a crowd, lol.

Do give us an update after your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products