Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,046,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well yeah, if a cashier isn't being productive then there should be some reassessing. Why keep an employee in a job they can't do?

I don't get how you think it unfairly compares part timers to full timers. Its based on the average time each individual customer spent at the register. If you are doing your job correctly, you'll be just as productive with 100 customers as you are with 1,000 customers.

Well, for over 100 years people have been lining up or walking up to cash registers in stores, big and small, and conducted their transactions for the most part without any hiccups, and without any tracking of RPT or time per customer.

The fact that you support all this tracking shows either that you have stake in that industry, or simply no compassion. I would not want you for a boss or supervisor. Good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I work at Kroger, and a front-end supervisor or manager has to suspend an order because that entails an override.
Ok, and? Call them over and have them suspend the order....

Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,653,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Get over yourself. The world does not revolve around you.
you missed the point, the reason why we have these problems in the check out line is because these people do think the world revolves around them.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I had a woman checking out in front of me and while the clerk was ringing her order the woman left and went to Starbucks in the front of the store. I saw her debating what to order, then talking to the clerk about her coffee, while the rest of us waited for her to return, pay for her order, and leave. Her order had been completed shortly after the woman left to get her coffee. She finally came back with her coffee in hand and apologized to the clerk for making her wait. I spoke up and told the lady she should apologize to me and the others in line since we all had to wait because of her. She mumbled an apology to me and finally paid for her order and left. Who does that? Who goes to get coffee in the middle of your groceries being rung up? Some people have no awareness of what's happening around them. Or they are very rude. Or they just don't care about anyone else.
You can either take some items out of her stuff on the belt or add some Condoms work the best.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,044,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Well, for over 100 years people have been lining up or walking up to cash registers in stores, big and small, and conducted their transactions for the most part without any hiccups, and without any tracking of RPT or time per customer.
And you don't think stores had other ways to keep track of their employees productivity? Its nothing new, except for now its tracked electronically.

Quote:
The fact that you support all this tracking shows either that you have stake in that industry, or simply no compassion. I would not want you for a boss or supervisor. Good day!
Well that's good, I wouldn't want an employee who doesn't care about their productivity. Not that I have any stake in the retail industry. And I'm actually a very compassionate person, I just expect people to do the jobs they're being paid to do. I don't see how that makes me a horrible person.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,653,218 times
I agree 100% ,there isnt a week that goes by that I dont encounter someone from your list. I swear Im a magnet for these people.Old people are some of the worse, they have nothing but free time to kill and they are on a fixed income so they will argue over ever item- isnt this on sale?? I thought it was on sale?? it should be on sale ,why isnt it on sale?,blah blah blah.People who shop at dollar stores are also the worse, they fill their shopping carts with items (they are attracted to shiny things) and then start rummaging through their pockets to see if they have any money(shouldnt they have thought about that before they even came into the store).I remember one time a family who were well to do came into the local dunkin donuts and started order the workers like they were part of the own personal staff, you cant image the fuss they made, everything had to be exactly as they wanted it.I can see dining in a expensive restaurant where you expect things to be perfect, but dunkin donuts??half of the people in line gave up and left.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,046,195 times
Quote:
And you don't think stores had other ways to keep track of their employees productivity? Its nothing new, except for now its tracked electronically.

Well that's good, I wouldn't want an employee who doesn't care about their productivity. Not that I have any stake in the retail industry. And I'm actually a very compassionate person, I just expect people to do the jobs they're being paid to do. I don't see how that makes me a horrible person.

My point is there are things a cashier, for instance, cannot control: A customer who is taking longer than usual to get their money out of their wallet and hand it to that cashier, another with two cart loads of sale items or clearance deals. Those might lengthen their average transaction time. Will that cashier be 'spoken to' by management because of those things? How compassionate do you feel in those scenarios?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,044,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My point is there are things a cashier, for instance, cannot control: A customer who is taking longer than usual to get their money out of their wallet and hand it to that cashier, another with two cart loads of sale items or clearance deals. Those might lengthen their average transaction time. Will that cashier be 'spoken to' by management because of those things? How compassionate do you feel in those scenarios?
The number of items a customer has doesn't change the speed at which a cashier can ring up them up. A slow customer isn't the norm, so also won't have any effect on the cashier's overall productivity.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times
Quote:
The number of items a customer has doesn't change the speed at which a cashier can ring up them up. A slow customer isn't the norm, so also won't have any effect on the cashier's overall productivity.

What slows me down are those dang hangers! Someone puts a pile of clothes on the belt and they all have hangers that the customer doesn't want. I'm pretty quick about getting them off the clothes but it still takes time. Or the nice people who have things folded so nice and neat but the bar code is folded inside so you have shake it out, scan it and refold it. I refuse to just throw them into a bag.

I think too much is being made of this productivity thing. Yes, they want us to be fast and efficient but they don't get onto us about it. They might mention it to someone at their yearly evaluation but that's it. And they don't fire people for being slow. We have some cashiers who don't get over 450 items an hour.
The ones who get the highest scores don't give good customer service. They are too busy scanning, bagging and just tossing stuff into bags. I've watched them do it. They don't interact with their customers more than a hello...maybe. I've only hit 1000 scans per hour three times in seven years, which is what the company wants, but I average 850 anyway. Nobody ever says anything to me and I think they know that 1000 items is a little unrealistic.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,192,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The ones who get the highest scores don't give good customer service. They are too busy scanning, bagging and just tossing stuff into bags. I've watched them do it. They don't interact with their customers more than a hello...maybe.
Lol, that's my ideal for receiving good customer service, minimal interaction and get me out asap. Most folks don't feel the same though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products