Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:01 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,933,408 times

Advertisements

I just don't listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I get irritated at all the thoughtless people blocking everything up around the grazing stations!
You mean the pigs at the trough?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,861,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I always shop in off hours and had no problems before but in the last month or so I feel soliciting in the store has become incessant. Not sure if it’s just our store or some corporate change.

Right next to the entrance there is always some guy who yells at every customer “Hello sir/mam, would you like to hear about...”. No one is ever interested. It feels like one of those mall kiosks where they just want to scam you by selling some overpriced cream.

And this week they started asking for donations for some hospital. OK but even after I politely refused the cashier kept telling me how great of a hospital that was, etc. Then I go to get a hot dog and, again, the cashier is asking about a donation.

Since we are literally paying to shop there, this seems a bit too much. I really just want to get in, get what I need and get out as quickly as possible. Do you have the same experience in your store or is it just ours?

There are frequently some sale actions but those folks are never intrusive and most are quite nice, actually.

I have seen those outside vendors inside Costco, but I just ignore them and walk on by. Haven't had any cashier asking for donations yet, but I would say "No thank you" just like I do at Publix and any other store who does that.

I can understand your taking offense at it, I too get a little put off with them asking for donations for this or that at the register. But I just say no and pay my bill.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:15 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,106,139 times
If I can't get to Costco when they open, I go at 4:30 on Friday afternoon.

That was my hearing aid testing time so I learned the store is almost always empty.

I get annoyed at the people blocking the aisle to get samples, but my Costco stock keeps going up. DH decided to sell some and our broker said absolutely do not sell Costco.

Those blocking the aisle getting samples are providing me with income. Its win win.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 AM

280 posts, read 675,357 times
I have the regular membership. Last time I swiped my card to buy a few things, it triggered an alert and an employee came over to try to convince me to upgrade to the executive membership. I only buy a couple things once or twice a month, I don't see how I can make that worthwhile.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 AM

812 posts, read 796,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

No, but truth be told I am not a browser when I am in there because experience has taught me that it can become costly if I browse so I am always on a mission to get what I went in for and get out of there as quickly and efficiently as possible.

When one is truly on a mission people recognize it and I don't even get offered the little taste samplers when going through.

It's a relief as I don't want to be slowed down.
Heehee, you sound like my husband! I have to be careful or I get totally left in the dust!

We had some kind of guy approach us about cable last week at Costco. That is the first time I remember that happening. When I told him no thanks, he backed right off though.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
I have the regular membership. Last time I swiped my card to buy a few things, it triggered an alert and an employee came over to try to convince me to upgrade to the executive membership. I only buy a couple things once or twice a month, I don't see how I can make that worthwhile.

The card swipe triggered an alert that you only had a regular membership and someone came over for only that reason?

Or the card swipe indicated your membership was expired/expiring and an employee came to have you renew and as he was doing that he asked about upgrading?

Old 05-04-2018, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Whatever you have to tell yourself to make you feel better about bienga grazer!

Fact is, you KNOW you should be embarrassed by how you act...so you justify it however you can.
Actually Costco management from several stores have told me that exact thing. They've repeatedly said "you pay to be here and those samples are part of that so enjoy as many or few as you wish".

Old 05-04-2018, 08:52 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,777,257 times
No problems in the multiple ones I go to in NJ and PA, but I hear the ones in CA now have "safe spaces" for people that feel uncomfortable for any reason

Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

The card swipe triggered an alert that you only had a regular membership and someone came over for only that reason?

Or the card swipe indicated your membership was expired/expiring and an employee came to have you renew and as he was doing that he asked about upgrading?
From time to time, they have the "upgrade' campaign and an employee is stationed near the checkout. Members with long term Gold accounts or whose Gold membership purchases indicates a higher valued customer, will be asked if they would like to upgrade. I have seen (already executive) this happen but a simple "no thank you" is all it takes for the employee to say thanks and move on.

What is confusing me about this entire discussion is that non of this "aggressive", "hassling", or in your face" type events have ever occurred to me in all the years I've been shopping at Costco in multiple warehouses. I'm not sure if I've just been one heck of a lucky person, or if way too may people are unbalanced that a simple sales line sends them into an emotional turmoil. All I can say is don;t walk down Herald Squares Macy's center aisle at Christmas time; those people who can't handle Costco will drop dead on the spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products