Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,221 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!!!

I will be moving to the SBC area soon and although I have been down to tour the area I still have some questions. I have looked through some of the older threads saw some answers but figured I'd try for an updated response and some feedback. I'm 32 my wife is 27 and we two babies 19 month old and an infant. I will be working off of Clyde fant and my wife will be working in Haughton.

1. What are some of the good daycares in the area. We need someone that will stay open until at least 5:30 or 6pm. We need some place that is clean and loving. Also somewhere that teaches and interacts with the children.

2. We plan to stay in an apartment for at least a year to find some neighborhoods to our likings. Is Island Park a good apartment complex? I noticed that it was a bit pricey for an apartment and the parking seems to be a nightmare. Are there any apartments that are cheaper and still somewhat safe? Are there any good houses for rent not asking for $2000 and above?

3. The first two questions set up this question. Where should we look to buy a house in regards to a good school system for the children. We are years away from them being in school but we would like to get the ball rolling on that.

4. Are there any progressive multicultural or African American churches in the area. The church that I am leaving held 4 services on Sunday which was very convenient for me since I usually work on Sunday afternoons. I would like a church that gets out before 1pm.

5. I was able to check out a few restaurants during my time touring the area. I absolutely love Shane's. The catfish was seasoned very well. Does anyone know if that is secret season or if that is something I can go buy from Walmart or somewhere. Are there any good BBQ restaurants around...I was not happy with Podnuh's.

Thank for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times
24 views and no answer. Thanks all...

Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,300 times
Take it easy, there are usually some helpful people out there. I'm sure you'll get all your questions answered.

I moved from Shreveport 22 years ago, to the Dallas area, but I visit from time to time because my in-laws are around there. Since I have been gone so long, I'm probably can't answer about the housing question, but you may want to add what type of house, new, large, small, prices, etc. There are a lot of areas to consider, especially since you are looking at SBC, and there are a few good "bedroom" communities, like Haughton. Didn't have kids, so I can't help with schools.

But I do eat. Podnuh's was one of my favorites in SBC, in fact, I wish there was one in the Dallas area. There are three or more Podnuh's locations that I am familiar with, usually the one on Shreveport Barksdale is the best, but each one can have a bad day. Joe Cobb's in the old section of Bossier, Hickory Stick on Youree Drive, and Jack's on North Market in Shreveport are old standbys. Country Tavern is in Shreveport, and I think it is connected to a very popular one in Kilgore TX. But it depends on the type of BBQ that you are use to and like. I will have to try that Shane's the next time I am there.

Good/best BBQ always is highly debatable and has been known to cause wars..

Good luck to you, the SBC area is a good area if you have the right type of job skills and career. There are plenty of good restaurants, hospitals, lakes, and, contrary to popular belief, a lot of good people.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 22,178 times
Not sure what a "progressive" church means. Generally speaking, most of Shreveport's churches are fairly self-segregated just like Shreveport itself is, with the possible exception of a few mega-churches (like the Simple Church) or the Catholic churches. Kings Highway Church (it's tile/brick) is probably the closest that I can think of, but it's mainly white/Hispanic.

If you're evangelical/Baptist, some good ones that come to mind are the Simple Church, Broadmoor Baptist, Ellerbe Road Baptist, and Brookwood Baptist. If you're Catholic, St. John Berchmans is the biggest one, although there are about 7 or 8 Catholic churches in the Shreveport area. If you're mainline Protestant, Grace Methodist and Broadmoor Methodist are both good, as is St. Mark's Episcopal Church.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
AS far as schools go, in Shreveport the best schools are either magnet schools (which require testing to get into) or private schools (which average around $4K-6K a year fro elementary school) The magnet schools are excellent and it doesn't matter which district you live in, as long as it's in Caddo. It is slightly less competetive to test in if your child qualifies as a minority.

They best daycares have waiting lists, so I would calll ahead and put your name down at a few (La Petite Ecole, Elizabetta Renzi, etc)

Island Park is a nice complex. You will be able to figure out a neigborhood you like pretty quickly, as Shreveport has a lot of good (and very bad choices) Some of the newer subdivisions (the Haven, Twelve Oaks, Azalea Gardens, Norris Ferry area) are very diverse in who lives there (many families of different races, and ethnicities)

Lot's of great choices for restaurants around here and a fair amount of fun festivals downtown throughout the year. Next time your at Shane's, try the pistolettes. OH. MY. GOD. They're good.

The Simple Church is wildly popular right now, as far as the other denominations, the PP got it right. Not sure about African American churches, I would visit a few, as they seem to be very close knit groups in this area. HTH

Old 08-11-2014, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,528 times
Word of Life, Meriwether Rd., Pastor Sam Carr.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
You might want to use the Search Function in this forum as I'm sure you'll pull up quite a few past postings that have relevant information based on your inquiry. Can't speak much for the churches though.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artnla View Post
Hello all!!!!

I will be moving to the SBC area soon and although I have been down to tour the area I still have some questions. I have looked through some of the older threads saw some answers but figured I'd try for an updated response and some feedback. I'm 32 my wife is 27 and we two babies 19 month old and an infant. I will be working off of Clyde fant and my wife will be working in Haughton.

1. What are some of the good daycares in the area. We need someone that will stay open until at least 5:30 or 6pm. We need some place that is clean and loving. Also somewhere that teaches and interacts with the children.

2. We plan to stay in an apartment for at least a year to find some neighborhoods to our likings. Is Island Park a good apartment complex? I noticed that it was a bit pricey for an apartment and the parking seems to be a nightmare. Are there any apartments that are cheaper and still somewhat safe? Are there any good houses for rent not asking for $2000 and above?

3. The first two questions set up this question. Where should we look to buy a house in regards to a good school system for the children. We are years away from them being in school but we would like to get the ball rolling on that.

4. Are there any progressive multicultural or African American churches in the area. The church that I am leaving held 4 services on Sunday which was very convenient for me since I usually work on Sunday afternoons. I would like a church that gets out before 1pm.

5. I was able to check out a few restaurants during my time touring the area. I absolutely love Shane's. The catfish was seasoned very well. Does anyone know if that is secret season or if that is something I can go buy from Walmart or somewhere. Are there any good BBQ restaurants around...I was not happy with Podnuh's.

Thank for any and all help!
1. I'm of no help

2. I live in Orleans Square. It's not as nice as Island park but Islands only 5 minutes away and safety has never been a concern (7 years there. ). I paid $605 for a 980sq ft 2 bedroom back in 2010. I think it's 700 or so now. I'd never throw away money like island park wants for an apartment. That's an investment with no return.

3. I've heard the magnet school system is decent but honestly don't feel that there Is a good system here compared to most places. Maybe homeschool?

4. I'm a White Atheist, so I can't help much, but there are some predominantly Black churches in the area. The more progressive churches all seem multicultural but predominantly White. Not sure if that's of importance. (318 live, Simple Church)

5. I'm not sure on bbq. I don't eat out here except to take my father to supper once a week and don't care about the food. It's just the interaction with him that I go out for. This place has turned me into a hermit to avoid the bulk of the population here. If you like the kind of people who live here, you will LOVE it. If not you will hate it. There is no middle ground.

6. Where are you from? What brings you here? I get the vibe that this might not be a place you turn out to be fond of. You just don't seem to "fit". I don't mean to be rude, that's more of a compliment in my book. Seriously though, I'm curious to hear how you feel about this area after being here for area while. My main clue here is the word "progressive". SBC is socially 20 years behind most of the US in crime, race relations, and most other social issues.

Last edited by JWG223; 08-15-2014 at 03:39 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 06:14 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Its like many places in this day and age, it takes time to build your association and within those it takes time to build friends. That's true in any place.

Depending on what you like, and how you choose to grow as a family, there are various options. Over time you may find it less costly than some of the over-priced cities across the nation. As to housing.

Take you time and learn the churches, that you may choose one that meets with your ideals and aims....
Wish you the best.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Its like many places in this day and age, it takes time to build your association and within those it takes time to build friends. That's true in any place.

Depending on what you like, and how you choose to grow as a family, there are various options. Over time you may find it less costly than some of the over-priced cities across the nation. As to housing.

Take you time and learn the churches, that you may choose one that meets with your ideals and aims....
Wish you the best.
Housing here is very costly. Far more so than Houston or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City