Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 AM

343 posts, read 1,085,834 times

Advertisements

As far as things to do, pro sports are big in Sioux Falls, and better yet, the teams win! For example:

Sioux Falls Storm- Pro Minor League Indoor Football
-Back to back to back to back UIF championships

Sioux Falls Skyforce- Pro Minor League Basketball
-4 Championship Appearances, 2 Victories

Sioux Falls Stampede- Junior Minor League Hockey
-2005-06 Anderson Cup Champions

Sioux Falls Canaries- Pro Minor League Baseball
-1 Playoff Appearance, and have Qualified for playoffs this year.

And the Canaries and Skyforce always have a couple of former NBA or MLB players on the roster. There are also talks of a brand new arena, and baseball stadium downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,931,322 times
Also, Sioux Falls supports its pro-teams. Good post, SonicsFan93.

cbest23, you will find a lot of items being lower in South Dakota. South Dakota is one of the lowest taxed states in the country with no income tax, reasonable sales tax (around 6%-city and state), and low vehicle registration fees compared to other states. I have a 2006 Pontiac and paid $55 for my license on the car. Car insurance rates, food, housing (rent being around $600-$750 a month for a nice and newer apartment), and fuel will definitely be lower in South Dakota. With health insurance being higher, there will be a number of things that are cheaper in South Dakota.

South Dakota is a good place to raise kids and Sioux Falls has a number of neighborhood parks along with those that are near the Big Sioux River and a decent bike trail system.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM

34 posts, read 94,137 times
Default moving to sioux falls

Thanks again sonic and chris for your help, the wife and I are going to be in sioux falls the last week in august on vacation, looking forward to looking around and getting prepared for the move. I did look up the sports teams from there websites and I'm very interested in seeing some games in the future.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbest23 View Post
Thanks again sonic and chris for your help, the wife and I are going to be in sioux falls the last week in august on vacation, looking forward to looking around and getting prepared for the move. I did look up the sports teams from there websites and I'm very interested in seeing some games in the future.
LAST WEEK IN AUGUST!

The Canaries are playing their first round home playoff games on the 25th and the 27th of August! It will be packed for the first playoff appearance in 7 years.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 PM

It is always a good thing to see the local teams doing well in their respective sports. I am happy for the Canaries and also for the Storm. The Skyforce has been a fairly decent with several successful title runs and runner ups in the past 12 years.

With USD going D-1 and SDSU already D-1, I sure hope the two start playing each other. The rivalry is fun and ignites intense interest in the state. And of course, the USD Coyotes shall come out as #1. It is boring not having the Jacks as rivals for the past few years.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Lest we forget the big name players that have come through Sioux Falls. "Chocolate Thunder" Darryl Dawkins, Roy Tarpley and Cedric Ceballos have played for the Skyforce, and Steve Howe, Pedro Guerrero, and George Sherrill have played for the Canaries, and Pat Mahomes plays for them now.

It's nice to see these big name players representing Sioux Falls.

Roy Tarpley:

Pat Mahomes:

Old 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM

I forgot to mention that the sports also put Sioux Falls on the map!

http://unitedindoorfootball.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/VirtualMap/UIF%20Map%202008.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Very good visuals of the three leagues for semi-pro teams, SonicsFan93.

Sioux Falls will have more D-1 action when the Jacks and Coyotes may play some of their games in Sioux Falls or have a dual midway. Boy, it would be a roit. As long as things do not get too out of hand like Coyotes fans not bringing dead rabbits and carrots for the Jacks fans and the Jacks bringing a dead coyote. The fans from each of the teams are very passionate about the rivalry and their respective teams.

I can remember back in 2002 that quite a few USD fans got in trouble and kicked out for throwing dead rabbits at the SDSU-USD game. In my earlier college years (before SDSU went D-1), the rivalry was full of passion. Who knows what will happen when the two will play each other with USD in the process of going D-1 and will be a full-fledged D-1 school in a few years.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:16 AM

34 posts, read 94,137 times
Default Moving to Sioux Falls

Hey guys and girls, just getting ready to visit Sioux Falls on vacation on Aug. 23rd. The wife and I will be looking for somewhere to live. This past week we spent time interviewing movers to take our stuff out there when we move in October. I was wondering if most people that moved used a moving company or whether they u-hauled it. The prices to move a two bedroom house out there from New York has been kind of expensive, which I may have to pay due to us having to take two cars and a cat as well. Also I guess it just makes it simpler to let someone else do the move for us. Anyway, any insight on moving may be very helpful. Thanks Again Everyone!!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 AM

230 posts, read 626,852 times
Wish I could help with the moving question, but (Thank God) the Army covered that bill as well. I did see the bill being submitted though and from Cincinnati to Sioux Falls, it was just shy of $3000.

Good luck and have fun on "vacation"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls