Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
1G - 2H, in the first round of the playoffs.
If U.S. wins Germany, and if Russia wins Algeria. I think the odds are pretty high.
How are the odds high? When was the last time the US won against Germany in a world cup football game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
There is no way the US beats Germany. The US are doing good this cup but Germany are way better than them. If they want they will put 4+ goals past us, hopefully we can figure out how to defend at some point to stop that.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
All this talk about the US not beating Germany is irking me. We beat Ghana and they tied with Germany. Why can't we? We only got scored on by Portugal because of defensive mistakes made by a certain player who shall remain name less. I think we played better against Portugal than Ghana did when they played Germany too. It will be hard but I think that if we up our defense we can draw.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
There is no way the US beats Germany. The US are doing good this cup but Germany are way better than them. If they want they will put 4+ goals past us, hopefully we can figure out how to defend at some point to stop that.
True but look what Costa Rica did to Italy and Uruguay. And Germany is basically playing 4 center backs in defense and without a pure targetman. I wonder if that will be there undoing eventually.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Quote:
If they want they will put 4+ goals past us, hopefully we can figure out how
to defend at some point to stop that.
Man, I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Thinking about some notable upsets in soccer history there's the bit of what the Hungarian team did at a international match at Wembly in 1953 when they defeated England 6-3. The English were heavily favored but lost. It was a given they would win. They got shook up. Changed alot of things for England after that. In the cards for the US? Let's watch the game. Would be nice to see 'us' get a boost. I want to see the US go nuts with a big win.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Did you say Lalas is pretty good??? He's horrible. I'm from Nigeria, and that guy is the most condescending towards all the African teams, incredibly dismissive, harping on our faults, yet whenever the American team comes up, he's praising them to the roof. If an alien from Mars listened to him to gain some idea about soccer, you would think the US was a soccer superpower, and not the middle of the pack team that it is. Don't get me wrong, I think the US has come a long way (with lots of help from all those foreign born players, but I digress), and deserved to win the Portugal game, but this is still a team that will NOT get anywhere near the finals, and I personally think you have to be smoking crack for Lalas to suggest that the US had a chance of beating Germany on Thursday. See he gases up the US's chances to the gullible American viewers, then when reality comes crashing down viewers switch off from soccer. TELL THE TRUTH AND STOP HYPING UP THE US TEAM. Stepping down from soap box.
While I agree that Lalas looks at positives of the US after games, he was rough on them before the WC. I saw a panel group of him with the other ESPN analysts in front of the US team, he said the US does not advance. He said that multiple times that the US isn't good enough, so maybe it is that the team is exceeding expectations.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:26 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
The Germany beating us talk irks me too, I get yous! I know I am negative nellie but face it ... Germany is a much better side than US. It is the WC and there is a possibility to grind out a result against them. So can we win and get a draw/win ? Definitely. But they are better than us, the US isnt as good as some people make us out to be.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Anyone watching the Uruguay game?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,613 times
Italy down to 10 players...did not see the play that caused the red card...anybody saw it?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
You know they said the US was in the 'Group of Death'. Maybe it should be 'Group of Slow Death???' The teams look like they are all want to 'stay!' I figure the soccer pundits thought the US sucked and would be out quickly.

At this stage the US and other teams in the group are still in it. Maybe if we get down to it we can't say there's complete soccer parity between the teams but so far we have shown that opposing teams 'underrate' at their peril. Thing is the game is like tennis. In tennis a cardinal rule is ...'don't beat yourself'. So here's to no errors against Germany that result in 'EZ' pass goals....;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer