Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgartm1185 View Post
Greenville would be more populous than Columbia if it had a larger land area.
Most of the area in Columbia as noted is Ft Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Completely in SC, yes. But, there is more to the story than that.
Not too much more. Greenville is the state's largest MSA now. Just let it be.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not too much more. Greenville is the state's largest MSA now. Just let it be.
I am not sure why it is an issue......if you are at the commerce department in Columbia with a potential project, you can't simply say here are our three largest metros, Columbia, Charleston & Greenville. They are all similar in size. If the potential project wants a large metro, he will walk based on that info. The state has to start taking the Charlotte metro more seriously. It is a great asset for SC to have part of a large metro in SC. "Just letting it be" is not an answer unless the state wants to only serve areas where the metro's principal city is in SC. It makes no sense to take that approach.

Would you just sell the three SC based metros in SC to potential projects? If a client wants a site in a large metro, are you just offering Grenville, Charleston or Columbia?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
I am not sure why it is an issue......if you are at the commerce department in Columbia with a potential project, you can't simply say here are our three largest metros, Columbia, Charleston & Greenville. They are all similar in size. If the potential project wants a large metro, he will walk based on that info. The state has to start taking the Charlotte metro more seriously. It is a great asset for SC to have part of a large metro in SC. "Just letting it be" is not an answer unless the state wants to only serve areas where the metro's principal city is in SC. It makes no sense to take that approach.

Would you just sell the three SC based metros in SC to potential projects? If a client wants a site in a large metro, are you just offering Grenville, Charleston or Columbia?
This is mostly opinion and everybody has one. Doesn't make it completely right. Based on where metros seat that one is in North Carolina. But why does it matter when talking about metros actually seated in SC? If companies want a "large" metro they could just go to Charlotte or better yet Atlanta. A true large metro. But companies weren't really being discussed, were they?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is mostly opinion and everybody has one. Doesn't make it completely right. Based on where metros seat that one is in North Carolina. But why does it matter when talking about metros actually seated in SC? If companies want a "large" metro they could just go to Charlotte or better yet Atlanta. A true large metro. But companies weren't really being discussed, were they?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
It is not mostly opinion. Do you not agree that companies may want to locate in SC who has traditionally offered more incentives but be part of a large metro? Folks get caught up in being the "largest metro'' in SC. Sure, if you are looking at things in a very focused way by just looking at the three metros, Greenville is the largest, by a slim amount. But, because Charlotte is growing rapidly and now includes 3 SC counties as part of the 2.3m metro, the state would be very foolish to not at least start looking at Charlotte as an economic driver which is often defined by the larger metro areas. Officially, if you want to be part of the largest metro and stay in SC, there is only one answer and it is not even close.

But, if you guys want to continue with this "we are Greenville, we are bigger than Columbia and Charleston", have at it. It does not get you too far. I am sure the Greenville realtors & Chamber are already sending out info packets to magazines to announce the news.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
It is not mostly opinion. Do you not agree that companies may want to locate in SC who has traditionally offered more incentives but be part of a large metro? Folks get caught up in being the "largest metro'' in SC. Sure, if you are looking at things in a very focused way by just looking at the three metros, Greenville is the largest, by a slim amount. But, because Charlotte is growing rapidly and now includes 3 SC counties as part of the 2.3m metro, the state would be very foolish to not at least start looking at Charlotte as an economic driver which is often defined by the larger metro areas. Officially, if you want to be part of the largest metro and stay in SC, there is only one answer and it is not even close.

But, if you guys want to continue with this "we are Greenville, we are bigger than Columbia and Charleston", have at it. It does not get you too far. I am sure the Greenville realtors & Chamber are already sending out info packets to magazines to announce the news.
Not much different than your Charlotte and Columbia boosting "we are the greatest thing since sliced bread" post is it? Kettle meet pot. Your name should represent Charlotte or Columbia. Not GSP. Confuses folks. If marketing a larger metro, why not Atlanta? I see more of them and it's an international city.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Not much different than your Charlotte and Columbia boosting "we are the greatest thing since sliced bread" post is it? Kettle meet pot. Your name should represent Charlotte or Columbia. Not GSP. Confuses folks. If marketing a larger metro, why not Atlanta? I see more of them and it's an international city.
Look, let's drop this line of arguing. I think that SC needs to focus more on developing the counties around Charlotte. It is a large metro with a large number of people in SC, and growing rapidly. If Atlanta starts moving into SC, then I would market them as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Look, let's drop this line of arguing. I think that SC needs to focus more on developing the counties around Charlotte. It is a large metro with a large number of people in SC, and growing rapidly. If Atlanta starts moving into SC, then I would market them as well.
I only joined in after reading this thing volleying back and forth. Some trying to boost the areas, and another trying aggressively to put them back in their place and knock them down.

Last edited by DSMRE; 03-22-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,704 times
Quote:
Wow!!! If that happens then all hell must have broken loose.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM

281 posts, read 426,144 times
Quote:
No, 2.3m is the metro as released last week.
No, that is the combined statistical area. There is a difference between that and a metropolitan area. Charlotte's metropolitan population is only 1.7 million as defined by the latest census. The CSA population is 2.4 million.

Charlotte metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Southeastern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is the second largest city in the Southeastern United States behind Jacksonville, FL and the seventh largest metro population.

Southeastern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And actually if Greenville's metropolitan area included as many counties as Charlottes does, it's population would be in the two millions. Since Greenville's metro population is already big and it only encompasses 4 counties, Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, and Pickens.

List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC CSA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia-1.4 million not 1.2 million

Last edited by kgartm1185; 03-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina