Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM

281 posts, read 426,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Also, if this region is in fact growing the fastest, it is because of Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta. The upstate region actually hurts the averages for these areas.
That's obviously not true. That might be the most untrue thing I've ever heard on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure why you see this as a bad thing. I would MUCH rather have the CRP push economic development in the SC counties of metro Charlotte since they are focused more on higher wage white-collar jobs. The state commerce department is focused entirely too much on manufacturing jobs. These sorts of jobs have their place, but they aren't going to attract and retain college-educated professionals like the developments you mostly see in the Charlotte area. The fact of the matter is that other places in the state are more suited for large-scale manufacturing developments. York and Lancaster counties in particular don't really have the established infrastructure and workforce to support them like the Upstate, Charleston, Columbia, and the Pee Dee.

And I'd actually say that a site near the I-26/I-95 junction in Orangeburg County would be the best place for another auto plant.

Pushing economic development is well and good, but all we're talking about is a simple fact. Again, when you used to state that Columbia was the state's largest metro area under the old definition, you didn't go off on this tangent about economic development and regional partnerships and about how Charlotte is really the largest. It's really not that deep. Companies are smart enough to know that there are parts of SC that have close proximity to Charlotte but that the entire 2 million+ population of the Charlotte region doesn't reside within SC.

You're honestly making this out to be more than what it is. It's really not the "Greenville crowd" getting as "worked up" about this as it's you. Hey, I'm just being objective and unbiased here.
Honestly, you and the other poster are the ones dragging this out. I was referring to very specific quotes when I spoke of Columbia being the state's largest metro. In this context, I think it is applicable to look at a wider net. The threads that you are using as a reference point were completely different topics than how this has transpired. If you are suggesting that I am picking data to suit an argument, you are wrong. This thread went offcourse when some Greenville posters did not like me talking about Charlotte because they have for years complained about not being the state's largest metro. I don't think anyone could argue that Charlotte should not be included in SC economic analysis, do you? Would you exclude Charlotte from an economic review of SC? If so, why? If not, why is it so egregious to include Charlotte when talking about SC metro populations? I don't think it is wrong to say that if someone wants to live in SC's largest metro, they would look to the Charlotte metro counties in SC? How is that wrong? If you want to be particular about where the metro is centered, than you are shorting the question.

As for companies, I not sure I agree 100% that they would all know the dynamics of SC. A lot of companies only know what they are told and then research those topics.

But, I do agree about CRP leading economic development, they are better than the state of SC.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Wow people attack you because of the smallest things. I forgot to mention Raleigh and everyone attacks me.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Honestly, you and the other poster are the ones dragging this out. I was referring to very specific quotes when I spoke of Columbia being the state's largest metro. In this context, I think it is applicable to look at a wider net. The threads that you are using as a reference point were completely different topics than how this has transpired. If you are suggesting that I am picking data to suit an argument, you are wrong. This thread went offcourse when some Greenville posters did not like me talking about Charlotte because they have for years complained about not being the state's largest metro. I don't think anyone could argue that Charlotte should not be included in SC economic analysis, do you? Would you exclude Charlotte from an economic review of SC? If so, why? If not, why is it so egregious to include Charlotte when talking about SC metro populations? I don't think it is wrong to say that if someone wants to live in SC's largest metro, they would look to the Charlotte metro counties in SC? How is that wrong? If you want to be particular about where the metro is centered, than you are shorting the question.

As for companies, I not sure I agree 100% that they would all know the dynamics of SC. A lot of companies only know what they are told and then research those topics.

But, I do agree about CRP leading economic development, they are better than the state of SC.
Actually you have been the poster that has drug this out the most. Two pages ago I tried to stop it but everyone kept going.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgartm1185 View Post
That's obviously not true. That might be the most untrue thing I've ever heard on this forum.
So, in the past decade Raleigh has grown over 40%, Charlotte over 30% and Greenville in the 10% range. In any math class, Greenville would bring down the average.

Go to the census and read the statistics.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
No, Piedmont Atlantic is growing the fastest.

Source= Megaregions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You obviously have reading comprehension problems because that source actually proves that the Texas Triangle is indeed growing faster than the Piedmont Atlanta region--as is the Arizona Sun Corridor, Florida, and Front Range. It and Cascadia are growing at the same rate. Megaregions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You obviously have reading comprehension problems because that source actually proves that the Texas Triangle is indeed growing faster than the Piedmont Atlanta region--as is the Arizona Sun Corridor, Florida, and Front Range. It and Cascadia are growing at the same rate. Megaregions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WOW! Actually, Piedmont Atlantic Region will grow by nine million people from 2000-2025. No need to get so mad over a post. Don't give yourself a heart attack, little kid.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
So, in the past decade Raleigh has grown over 40%, Charlotte over 30% and Greenville in the 10% range. In any math class, Greenville would bring down the average.

Go to the census and read the statistics.
Source? Because Greenville is in the 30% range, Raleigh is actually in the 60% range and good old Charlotte isn't even in the 30% range.
Greenville, SC: 9th Fastest Growing City in the US | Upstate Minority and Business Professional Association and Greenville, SC: 9th Fastest Growing City in the US | The Greenville, SC Blog and Greenville, SC Ranked 9th Fastest Growing City in US - eXp Realty Greenville and 10 Fastest Growing U.S. Cities – CNN Money – Greenville SC 9th fastest growing cities 2000-2010!!! | Cecil's Greeting Cards
So i'd think about getting your facts right before posting on a thread.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
More like above average.
The Upstate (Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA) grew by 12.3% from 2000-2010. United States Combined Statistical Area Population - iWeblists

The national population growth rate around that time is 9.7%.

For the most part, the Upstate is in the average range of population growth, especially compared to other metros in the Piedmont.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The Upstate (Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA) grew by 12.3% from 2000-2010. United States Combined Statistical Area Population - iWeblists

The national population growth rate around that time is 9.7%.

For the most part, the Upstate is in the average range of population growth, especially compared to other metros in the Piedmont.
So the average national growth is 9.7. 12.3 is above 9.7 so that's why they came up with the phrase above average. Average would be from 9-10% growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina