Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 PM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Regardless of the success in Charlotte's SC counties, the state still is focused on the traditional metros with regards to decelpmemt. More focus should be place on the Charlotte counties.
There's PLENTY of focus on the SC 'burbs of Charlotte, so I'm not sure why you think otherwise; hell, as of now, the state's only F500 company is in Fort Mill. Here are all the developments that have come to Lancaster and York counties over the past few years, and unlike other developments in the state, they tend to be more white-collar in nature due to the proximity of the Charlotte-area workforce. That's why I think you perceive there to be less of a focus on the SC counties in Charlotte's metro.

Defense Venture Group Announces New Facilities in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Red Ventures to Create 1,000 New Jobs in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Strategic Outsourcing Inc. Announces New Headquarters in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Integrated Healthcare Solutions to Locate in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Nutramax Laboratories and Nutramax Manufacturing to Locate New Operations in South Carolina | South Carolina Department of Commerce

CTNA Corporate Headquarters to Move to SC in 2009 | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Titanium Holdings Selects South Carolina as Headquarters Location | South Carolina Department of Commerce

URS Washington Division Opens Nuclear Energy Headquarters in South Carolina | South Carolina Department of Commerce

C.M. Steel Inc. Announces Operations in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Ross Stores opening new facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Britax Child Safety Inc. locates new facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Physicians Choice Laboratory Services establishing new operations in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Honeywell Announces Expansion in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Supermetal Structures Inc. Announces New Facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Bradman Lake Announces New Facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Legrand Announces New Facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Composite Resources Inc. Announces Expansion in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Shutterfly expands East Coast manufacturing operations with new facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

The only problem I have with some of these developments is that they were formerly in Charlotte and only jumped the border for incentives and lower taxes without creating many new jobs. But at lot of them are brand-new developments as well that result in lots of new jobs that benefit the entire region. York and Lancaster counties are getting just as much economic development as Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM

281 posts, read 426,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a reference to urbanized areas and Charleston's is most definitely NOT falling; it added about 125K more people since 2000.
Agreed, it definitely isn't falling.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Megaregions (2025)
By Population/Largest Cities

Great Lakes - 62,894,147/Chicago, Toronto, Detroit

Northeast - 58,124,740/New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Boston

Piedmont Atlantic (Fastest growing because of Upstate SC, Charlotte, and Atlanta) - 30,351,698/Atlanta, Charlotte, Greenville, Memphis, Nashville, Research Triangle, Piedmont Triad, Birmingham, Spartanburg

Southern California - 28,692,923/Los Angeles, Anaheim, Las Vegas, San Diego

Texas Triangle - 23,586,856/Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin

Florida - 21,358,829/Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando

Northern California - 17,290,363/San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose

Gulf Coast - 15,832,117/Houston, New Orleans, Corpus Christi

Cascadia - 10,209,826/Seattle, Vancouver, Portland

Arizona Sun Corridor - 7,362,613/Phoenix

Front Range - 6,817,462/Denver, Salt Lake City

Population that matters for each city
Suburban Surrounding Population + City Population = Total Population
Greenville - 263,637 + 61,674 = 325,311
Columbia - 168,103 + 129,272 = 297,375
Charleston - 34,638 + 120,083 = 154,721

This website shows the population of the suburbs around SC's major cities.
http://www.census.gov/popfinder/?s=45

Last edited by kgartm1185; 03-23-2013 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: update

Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
There's PLENTY of focus on the SC 'burbs of Charlotte, so I'm not sure why you think otherwise; hell, as of now, the state's only F500 company is in Fort Mill. Here are all the developments that have come to Lancaster and York counties over the past few years, and unlike other developments in the state, they tend to be more white-collar in nature due to the proximity of the Charlotte-area workforce. That's why I think you perceive there to be less of a focus on the SC counties in Charlotte's metro.

Defense Venture Group Announces New Facilities in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Red Ventures to Create 1,000 New Jobs in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Strategic Outsourcing Inc. Announces New Headquarters in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Integrated Healthcare Solutions to Locate in Lancaster County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Nutramax Laboratories and Nutramax Manufacturing to Locate New Operations in South Carolina | South Carolina Department of Commerce

CTNA Corporate Headquarters to Move to SC in 2009 | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Titanium Holdings Selects South Carolina as Headquarters Location | South Carolina Department of Commerce

URS Washington Division Opens Nuclear Energy Headquarters in South Carolina | South Carolina Department of Commerce

C.M. Steel Inc. Announces Operations in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Ross Stores opening new facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Britax Child Safety Inc. locates new facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Physicians Choice Laboratory Services establishing new operations in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Honeywell Announces Expansion in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Supermetal Structures Inc. Announces New Facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Bradman Lake Announces New Facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Legrand Announces New Facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Composite Resources Inc. Announces Expansion in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

Shutterfly expands East Coast manufacturing operations with new facility in York County | South Carolina Department of Commerce

The only problem I have with some of these developments is that they were formerly in Charlotte and only jumped the border for incentives and lower taxes without creating many new jobs. But at lot of them are brand-new developments as well that result in lots of new jobs that benefit the entire region. York and Lancaster counties are getting just as much economic development as Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston.
I am aware of the developments and like you said, a lot of the developments are simple movements within the region. Others are ones that start looking at the area through groups like the Charlotte Regional Partnership and then focus in on the SC counties due to taxes. However, the commerce department is not the one bringing these companies to the area. The political power in this state still centers around the upstate due to the ultra conservative leanings of the area. Partly because of that and the historical context of the areas, Commerce does not show enough sites in the Charlotte area. From an automakers perspective, somewhere along I77 would be the best place for a second plant in SC but, you keep seeing Anderson County as the site Commerce is pushing.

And, you see it here on this board. I thought it was an easy statement to make that Charlotte is part of SC now more than ever and is the largest metro represented in SC. I honestly did not think that the Greenville crowd would get so worked up and did not expect to be told to "let it go". When I read economic reports or review some of the regional partnership material, the state lines are blurred. There are 4 SC counties in the regional partnership and SC metrics are included in much of the chamber/partnership material. I don't see it as a big deal. If you want ot be particular and say what is the largest metro based in SC, sure it is now Greenville. However, there is not a company around that would ask that questions and folks moving to SC who want to be in a large metro don't care about Greenville v. Columbia v. Charleston. If they want to be in the largest metro and live in SC, Charlotte is by far the only choice. Not sure why you are preaching to me about letting it go. I look at it differently and the state of SC should look at it differently as well. Hope that is clear because this thread has become silly.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgartm1185 View Post
Piedmont Atlantic (Fastest growing because of Upstate SC, Charlotte, and Atlanta)
You have a source on this region being the fastest-growing? No doubt it's growing very fast, but I'm pretty sure the Texas Triangle is growing even faster.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-23-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
You have a source on this region being the fastest-growing? No doubt it's growing very fast, but I'm pretty sure the Texas Triangle is growing even faster.
Also, if this region is in fact growing the fastest, it is because of Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta. The upstate region actually hurts the averages for these areas.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I am aware of the developments and like you said, a lot of the developments are simple movements within the region. Others are ones that start looking at the area through groups like the Charlotte Regional Partnership and then focus in on the SC counties due to taxes. However, the commerce department is not the one bringing these companies to the area. The political power in this state still centers around the upstate due to the ultra conservative leanings of the area. Partly because of that and the historical context of the areas, Commerce does not show enough sites in the Charlotte area. From an automakers perspective, somewhere along I77 would be the best place for a second plant in SC but, you keep seeing Anderson County as the site Commerce is pushing.
I'm not sure why you see this as a bad thing. I would MUCH rather have the CRP push economic development in the SC counties of metro Charlotte since they are focused more on higher wage white-collar jobs. The state commerce department is focused entirely too much on manufacturing jobs. These sorts of jobs have their place, but they aren't going to attract and retain college-educated professionals like the developments you mostly see in the Charlotte area. The fact of the matter is that other places in the state are more suited for large-scale manufacturing developments. York and Lancaster counties in particular don't really have the established infrastructure and workforce to support them like the Upstate, Charleston, Columbia, and the Pee Dee.

And I'd actually say that a site near the I-26/I-95 junction in Orangeburg County would be the best place for another auto plant.

Quote:
And, you see it here on this board. I thought it was an easy statement to make that Charlotte is part of SC now more than ever and is the largest metro represented in SC. I honestly did not think that the Greenville crowd would get so worked up and did not expect to be told to "let it go". When I read economic reports or review some of the regional partnership material, the state lines are blurred. There are 4 SC counties in the regional partnership and SC metrics are included in much of the chamber/partnership material. I don't see it as a big deal. If you want ot be particular and say what is the largest metro based in SC, sure it is now Greenville. However, there is not a company around that would ask that questions and folks moving to SC who want to be in a large metro don't care about Greenville v. Columbia v. Charleston. If they want to be in the largest metro and live in SC, Charlotte is by far the only choice. Not sure why you are preaching to me about letting it go. I look at it differently and the state of SC should look at it differently as well. Hope that is clear because this thread has become silly.
Pushing economic development is well and good, but all we're talking about is a simple fact. Again, when you used to state that Columbia was the state's largest metro area under the old definition, you didn't go off on this tangent about economic development and regional partnerships and about how Charlotte is really the largest. It's really not that deep. Companies are smart enough to know that there are parts of SC that have close proximity to Charlotte but that the entire 2 million+ population of the Charlotte region doesn't reside within SC.

You're honestly making this out to be more than what it is. It's really not the "Greenville crowd" getting as "worked up" about this as it's you. Hey, I'm just being objective and unbiased here.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Also, if this region is in fact growing the fastest, it is because of Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta.
True. The growth rate of the Upstate is more average.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
No, Piedmont Atlantic is growing the fastest.

Source= Megaregions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
True. The growth rate of the Upstate is more average.
More like above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina