Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,370 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! I'm in my final stages of accepting a job in Greenwood, SC and wanted to hear some feedback on the town. A bit about me, I'm in my mid-20s, single, from the Philadelphia, and starting my career (in my industry you have to start out in small towns). I went to school in Syracuse, NY- a much much smaller town than Philly and a struggling rust belt city. I read from older threads that there's a large income gap in Greenwood, but I experienced that in Syracuse so I don't think it will shock me. I've lived abroad too, so I'm very independent and can adapt pretty well, but I'm wondering how I will do in Greenwood.

My questions... Does Greenwood get a lot of bad storms due to hurricanes? Or does that mostly affect the coast? Are there many people living in Greenwood from out of town? I know it's a small town, but I'm curious as to how people there receive Northerners? I have many friends from Texas and North Carolina and they all tell me about how nice Southerners are Also, are there many young people there? I'm not looking for a "single's scene" or anything like that, I'm just curious if it's mostly a retirees town, or families, etc. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
As someone who originally came out of the NYC Metro area, this I can share:

- Don't expect Southerners to be "buddy, buddy" with you at first. It may take time for people to get to know you, before being "buddy, buddy." It *will* happen, but it takes a little time ...

- Most of the transplants that have had problems in relating to Southerners, bring it on themselves. People can convey an arrogant or sanctimonious attitude through non-verbal cues, be it through gesturing, their tone, inflection, etc.

In other words, I've noticed that transplants who complain about relating to Southerners, have a poor attitude. And that poor attitude is communicated to others, who then respond in kind. Showing respect and kindness toward others, will pay huge dividends.

Likewise, many transplants aren't willing to adapt their habits to their new home. They're willing to PAY a lot less for services, but then they balk when they aren't making the money that they'd made up North. They enjoy the lack of traffic jams that country life affords them, but then complain that they have to drive to the store. Instead of adapting to their new home, they sit in judgement of those who choose to live a certain way. And then they wonder why they aren't happy...

You come across as someone with a good attitude, so I am sure you will do fine .

From what I know, that part of SC can be subject to hail, from time to time. Bad storms are more a coastal phenominan...

Enjoy your stay in SC . Like I said, you come across as a positive person, so I am sure you'll do quite well here .

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM

800 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Greenwood is prototypical small-town southern life, the pace of life is slower and cost of living is pretty low. Geographically, it is somewhat isolated, or as I like to say, "in the middle of everything but close to nothing"...it's almost a full hour drive to Greenville, an hour and a half to Columbia, and an hour and a half to Augusta. It's not located on or near an interstate highway, so driving times take a little longer. From what I recall of it (I grew up in nearby Anderson), it's mostly families and older folks, but there is a decent-sized liberal arts college in town that provides some culture.

I echo everything NDL said about northerners acclamating to the South, there are plenty of transplants even in smaller towns like Greenwood, so you should be fine.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,370 times
Thanks for the help guys! That's refreshing to hear that there are other transplants like me in small towns like Greenwood. I'm driving down in the next couple weeks to check it out, can't wait!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 PM

125 posts, read 286,599 times
Greenwood not that bad. They have their mall, Walmart, Home Depot, good size movie theater complex. some parks, small college etc. They also have a slummy part that easily is avoided. Bigger cities about 60 to 90 minutes away, mountains about 90 minutes away. It's too far inland for hurricanes to hit as a major force. It's hot and sticky in the summer but really nice in spring and fall, and winters only get a handful of cool days.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majone12 View Post
Hey everybody! I'm in my final stages of accepting a job in Greenwood, SC and wanted to hear some feedback on the town. A bit about me, I'm in my mid-20s, single, from the Philadelphia, and starting my career (in my industry you have to start out in small towns). I went to school in Syracuse, NY- a much much smaller town than Philly and a struggling rust belt city. I read from older threads that there's a large income gap in Greenwood, but I experienced that in Syracuse so I don't think it will shock me. I've lived abroad too, so I'm very independent and can adapt pretty well, but I'm wondering how I will do in Greenwood.

My questions... Does Greenwood get a lot of bad storms due to hurricanes? Or does that mostly affect the coast? Are there many people living in Greenwood from out of town? I know it's a small town, but I'm curious as to how people there receive Northerners? I have many friends from Texas and North Carolina and they all tell me about how nice Southerners are Also, are there many young people there? I'm not looking for a "single's scene" or anything like that, I'm just curious if it's mostly a retirees town, or families, etc. Thanks for the help!
for a person in their 20s the contrast between philly and greenwood is going to be like night and day not to mention the way slower pace of life. very best of luck to you and let us know how it worked out for you.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
The two things that will drive you crazy in small town South Carolina are the lack of much of a nightlife and how slow everything/everyone moves. Of course, I was in Miami a few months ago and it was even worse as far as people moving at a snail's pace. Greenwood isn't tiny, but relatively speaking I think you may get bored there.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
for a person in their 20s the contrast between philly and greenwood is going to be like night and day not to mention the way slower pace of life. very best of luck to you and let us know how it worked out for you.
yeah i can't imagine someone in their 20's moving from Philadelphia PA to Greenwood SC. that is going to be some culture shock.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
^^^This.

Greenwood, while nice, couldn't be any more different than Philly. Greenwood's a small town; no South Street - not even anything close. Cuisine is way different too.

You might want to check out Columbia while you're visiting SC...around Columbia are some nice towns, while Columbia has some sense of nightlife.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
Every personality type is different....those I've known who are single and in their 20s/30s usually wind up moving to the Simpsonville area and commuting in to Greenwood. I think the best advice I've seen is to visit Greenwood and spend a weekend in town checking out the local activities that interest you. Be sure to leave extra time to drive up and around Greenville and Simpsonville and do your research. If you are undecided, lease an apartment for 6 months in Greenwood while you get accustomed to your new job and then you can relocate after having had more time to explore the area. Good luck! Fortunately we aren't trees....we can always MOVE around if we tire of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina