Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2020, 02:32 PM

82 posts, read 73,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
I also have another random idea. The lot where Club Miami used to be on 378 across from the base. I "think" Glasscock owns that now. But I think that would be a perfect spot for a parking lot to watch the planes fly in and take off. Speaking from a newbies point of view. I like watching the planes. Lol. It could be nicely paved with parking spots and maybe a couple picnic tables. Lighted of course. And cameras cz I'm sure some not so nice folk may wanna stop by there. Maybe dedicated to the recent fallen airmen? Or something to that nature. Idk. Just a random idea that keeps coming up in my mind. But it may not be the best safest location for that.
I'm not sure, but after the 9/11 attacks the viewing areas for the base were all shut down so I'm not sure if it will be allowed to re-open in that capacity or not, but who knows....

I would definitely like to see the lake next to Glasscock developed into a recreational area though. Not sure if it's proximity to Glasscock or the Shaw AFB Runway would prevent it, but it does look like a nice sized lake for swimming, diving, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 05:36 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Realtors must want top dollar for the former Rite Aid locations seeing that Dollartree decided to build a entire new building than remodel the Rite Aid at a high traffic corner lot.

I'm surprised the Dollar General next to IGA hasn't moved to its own larger freestanding building. The new Dollartree may force
their hand.

Yeah.. Walmart and some grocery stores when they moved to a new building would let their old location languish (if they owned it) so that no competitor would move in there. There was an old Food Lion on North Lafayette that stayed vacant for years because allegedly they didn't want a new grocery store to move in there.. Even today its now a medical center. The Walmart on Broad Street.. moved further out Broad Street and their building became part of CCTC at least a decade later as Walmart was is no rush to do anything with it. So I can see Rite Aid may be doing the same.. though didn't they sell some of their stores to Walgreens or something like that? But.. a Dollar General would compete with a Drug Store as they sell many of the same product just no Pharmacy.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:55 PM

217 posts, read 240,290 times
Locals are putting up pics of Golden Corral's sign being taken down on facebook. Sad to lose another business

Old 10-27-2020, 09:46 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Locals are putting up pics of Golden Corral's sign being taken down on facebook. Sad to lose another business
Yeah that is really sad, and they were really doing well before the pandemic. Hopefully in the future they can return to Sumter. My thoughts goes to the people who worked there, I pray that they all find other jobs.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:06 PM

Was this building vacant? That entire area off of Fulton street is an industrial wasteland in the middle of town. Assuming its not contaminated.. it would make an excellent site to redevelop. The million dollar question is... into what? Maybe some new (clean) industries or maybe some warehouses...since the infrastructure is in place (water, sewer, rail) It is also in the center of town close to many neighborhoods who could benefit from employment.

Ideally it would be residential.. but the former use as industrial, proximity to a busy RR and Lafayette Blvd.. make it less desirable.

https://www.theitem.com/stories/old-...-active,353852

Old 10-30-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Was this building vacant? That entire area off of Fulton street is an industrial wasteland in the middle of town. Assuming its not contaminated.. it would make an excellent site to redevelop. The million dollar question is... into what? Maybe some new (clean) industries or maybe some warehouses...since the infrastructure is in place (water, sewer, rail) It is also in the center of town close to many neighborhoods who could benefit from employment.

Ideally it would be residential.. but the former use as industrial, proximity to a busy RR and Lafayette Blvd.. make it less desirable.

https://www.theitem.com/stories/old-...-active,353852

Best of my knowledge it was not is use for anything, except as storage for recyclable. That site is probably only good for another manufacturing building. I just hope the site it cleaned up properly and not left as another eyesore, we already have enough of them around town. That's the second major fire on that same site in the last 4 or 5 years, and 4 major fires over the same period, the Sumter Casket Co. and the Hodge Warehouse were also destroyed by fire.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Best of my knowledge it was not is use for anything, except as storage for recyclable. That site is probably only good for another manufacturing building. I just hope the site it cleaned up properly and not left as another eyesore, we already have enough of them around town. That's the second major fire on that same site in the last 4 or 5 years, and 4 major fires over the same period, the Sumter Casket Co. and the Hodge Warehouse were also destroyed by fire.

Interesting.. wonder why so many fires in those areas if they are vacant? Homeless maybe especially in the cold weather? That area is going to be a drag on the City.. Such a large area full of vacant, burned down warehouses.. Its like a Gary, IN or East St. Louis over there with the vacant or dilapidated buildings.. its unfortunate...

I did look at a city limit map.. and it appears that only the Hodge Warehouse is actually in the City Limits ..the others are on the edge.. though it technically doesn't matter.. but the City likely cant make anything happen there without it being annexed or without support from the County.. Sumter has way too many industrial parks otherwise this would be a good area to consider making one to see if it could give it a boost.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Interesting.. wonder why so many fires in those areas if they are vacant? Homeless maybe especially in the cold weather? That area is going to be a drag on the City.. Such a large area full of vacant, burned down warehouses.. Its like a Gary, IN or East St. Louis over there with the vacant or dilapidated buildings.. its unfortunate...

I did look at a city limit map.. and it appears that only the Hodge Warehouse is actually in the City Limits ..the others are on the edge.. though it technically doesn't matter.. but the City likely cant make anything happen there without it being annexed or without support from the County.. Sumter has way too many industrial parks otherwise this would be a good area to consider making one to see if it could give it a boost.

The Sumter Casket Co. was right next door to the Hodge Warehouse, that should have been city limits as well, and those two were not vacant at the time of the fires. Everything in that area was very old structures, I'm sure it didn't take much to burn them down. Only the bare minimum probably went into fire protection. All the remaining buildings in the area should take note, and make sure they have adequate fire safety protocol, and preventions.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The Sumter Casket Co. was right next door to the Hodge Warehouse, that should have been city limits as well, and those two were not vacant at the time of the fires. Everything in that area was very old structures, I'm sure it didn't take much to burn them down. Only the bare minimum probably went into fire protection. All the remaining buildings in the area should take note, and make sure they have adequate fire safety protocol, and preventions.
Yeah.. they were likely built when most of those items were not required... OR someone wanted to collect on the insurance and go quietly out of business......

Old 10-31-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah.. they were likely built when most of those items were not required... OR someone wanted to collect on the insurance and go quietly out of business......
Lol, believe me, I've heard that a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina