Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Moving in the right direction, but at a snail's pace.

Hopefully once the Hyatt opens it will provide a solid anchor for the area along with an increase in activities at the Opera House. The south end of Main needs an anchor as well to complement the CCTC facility. I would like to see CCTC expand further in downtown and take over the block between Bartlette and Oakland Sts in between Main and Harvin. That would be a good location for an apartment building that caters to students or those that want to live downtown. Maybe an "incentive" could be created just for downtown Sumter apartments which could cause the upper floors of some of the buildings on Main to fill in with units and a new standalone facility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 06:20 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Hopefully once the Hyatt opens it will provide a solid anchor for the area along with an increase in activities at the Opera House. The south end of Main needs an anchor as well to complement the CCTC facility. I would like to see CCTC expand further in downtown and take over the block between Bartlette and Oakland Sts in between Main and Harvin. That would be a good location for an apartment building that caters to students or those that want to live downtown. Maybe an "incentive" could be created just for downtown Sumter apartments which could cause the upper floors of some of the buildings on Main to fill in with units and a new standalone facility
I noticed that the auto repair shop, across the street from the nursing school is no longer there. The shop was actually on East Bartlette street, that runs along the side of the school. I'm thinking the city was behind the move, because it was an eyesore and didn't fit in with what they are trying to do with the area. That property also could have been bought by someone. Just speculation on my part, but the auto shop was there one day and gone the next. They had several old junk cars and cars waiting for repair sitting all around the place.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I noticed that the auto repair shop, across the street from the nursing school is no longer there. The shop was actually on East Bartlette street, that runs along the side of the school. I'm thinking the city was behind the move, because it was an eyesore and didn't fit in with what they are trying to do with the area. That property also could have been bought by someone. Just speculation on my part, but the auto shop was there one day and gone the next. They had several old junk cars and cars waiting for repair sitting all around the place.
The city may have been behind the demo. They have been leveling vacant houses in south sumter for a decade or more. I doubt anything will come to that corner any time soon especially if there are underground gas tanks which could be costly to remove unless the feds kick in some $$ It would have been nice if that senior housing development fronted main street where this gas station was located. I suspect many of the properties south of bartlette downtown may have contamination issues especially the site at the foot of manning ave bridge on the eastside. Likely hendering their redevelopment

Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The city may have been behind the demo. They have been leveling vacant houses in south sumter for a decade or more. I doubt anything will come to that corner any time soon especially if there are underground gas tanks which could be costly to remove unless the feds kick in some $$ It would have been nice if that senior housing development fronted main street where this gas station was located. I suspect many of the properties south of bartlette downtown may have contamination issues especially the site at the foot of manning ave bridge on the eastside. Likely hendering their redevelopment
This building haven't been torn down, not yet anyway. Not much you can do with it, so it probably will be torn down at some point and it is pretty ugly. It didn't blend in with the architecture style of the surrounding buildings, like the nursing school and the transportation center. Perhaps a parking lot will go on that side for the students.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,552 times
I heard that the Publix deal with IGA has fallen through. Now they are talking with Billy McLeod (Piggly Wiggly) about a lease on the land at the corner of Wise and Loring Mill. He had purchased that property to keep Food Lion from opening there. Foodlion eventually opened on Broad near Shaw. Seems to me that a Publix wouldn't wouldn't impact his business. Publix shoppers and Piggly Wiggly shoppers just aren't the same people. Keeping a Foodlion out makes sense to me. Hopefully he'll let a Publix go in there.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:15 PM

Something is being built right next to the car wash between the McDonald's on hwy 15 south. The lot is being cleared off and building materials are out there as well. I haven't heard a word prior about anything going there, but seem like they are working at a pretty fast pace clearing that lot.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Something is being built right next to the car wash between the McDonald's on hwy 15 south. The lot is being cleared off and building materials are out there as well. I haven't heard a word prior about anything going there, but seem like they are working at a pretty fast pace clearing that lot.
Is this a Walmart Neighborhood Market?

Old 06-08-2016, 05:41 AM

217 posts, read 240,095 times
Quote:
This maybe dollar general. The company is moving their location in pocalla crossing to its own stand alone building like the palmetto plaza location moved up the street closer to papa johns

Old 06-08-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
This maybe dollar general. The company is moving their location in pocalla crossing to its own stand alone building like the palmetto plaza location moved up the street closer to papa johns

Dollar General and Family Dollar must be giving Walmart a run for its money.. They are opening up everywhere sometimes even in close proximity to their other locations...Buildings go up cheap and sell cheap stuff.. I guess that is a flawless business model.. if you close.. move your merchandise to another location and your "butler building" sheet metal store can easily be sold/converted to another use.. unlike a spawling big box Walmart

Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM

I don't have a clue about what the building is going to be. I work on that end of town and another restaurant would be great out there. I drive by there every day when I have to work, so I will keep you guys posted if I hear something or see a sign. A Dollar General is just up the road from there anyway, about a mile or so. Also a Family Dollar and a Dollar Tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina