Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 07:38 PM

143 posts, read 179,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Last I heard, is that it is still a go for this year. Almost nothing starts on time, or when they say it will start in this town.
I don't have a link for it, but I read in The Item, (Sunday 19 June edition} stated that the hotel construction will start in about two months and will take 18 months to finish. This was in the Money section with the article focusing on downtown renovation as a whole. I guess nobody is holding their collective breath for that to start on-time either. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Default New Building Downtown

Looks Like the City is moving its Water Department out of City Hall to South Harvin and E Bartlette across from the Clyburn Center. This is a great move and will infill a vacant block and begin to anchor the south end of Downtown. I look forward to seeing the design for the new building...I hope it is multi story and mixed use like what is developed in most downtown areas. It appears that the City does plan to use the Main Street portion of the site for redevelopment while the Harvin side will be more for the water department. Main Street side could be more commercial and residential upstairs.. or lets hope.... stay tuned

https://agenda-files.s3.amazonaws.co...21,%202016.pdf

Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
That would be great, it's not a good setup the way it is now. You have to stand and wait a long time if you have to go inside for anything.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That would be great, it's not a good setup the way it is now. You have to stand and wait a long time if you have to go inside for anything.

City Hall should really move out of the Opera House. The McDuffie Furniture building on South Main would be a good location for it and provide a solid anchor for Main Street on the south side and this "annex" could be built across the street for the Water Department as planned. It already looks like a government building with the columns and institutional look. The Opera House could then become performance space and/or offices for the Arts which would go along way towards bringing people downtown. The Planning Department is already across on East Liberty.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM

143 posts, read 179,780 times
^^^ I would suggest the old courthouse for that. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
^^^ I would suggest the old courthouse for that. Just my 2 cents.
I agree, great idea. However, the old courthouse is still pretty much well occupied with various offices, departments, or some extension of the court system as a whole. I thought the original plans for the new Judicial center, was to put the entire court system under one roof. The old federal building on main street would have made a nice city hall building also.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
I heard that Hampton's has acquired the old Angel's mexican restaurant and the old Burn's hardware location on Main. Plans are to move Hampton's into that location and develop the Burn's lot as an outdoor dining venue for Hampton's. Work has already started tearing down the old facad of Burn's. And Angel's is already closed. Then, the current Hampton's location will be redeveloped into an upscale mexican Tequileria. Similar to Salud's in Camden.

Also, noticed some activity in the old Winn Dixie / Nashville Station lot on Liberty. There is a construction trailer in the back of the lot and a grader is eating up the old pavement around the old concrete foundation. Anybody know whats happening there?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I heard that Hampton's has acquired the old Angel's mexican restaurant and the old Burn's hardware location on Main. Plans are to move Hampton's into that location and develop the Burn's lot as an outdoor dining venue for Hampton's. Work has already started tearing down the old facad of Burn's. And Angel's is already closed. Then, the current Hampton's location will be redeveloped into an upscale mexican Tequileria. Similar to Salud's in Camden.

Also, noticed some activity in the old Winn Dixie / Nashville Station lot on Liberty. There is a construction trailer in the back of the lot and a grader is eating up the old pavement around the old concrete foundation. Anybody know whats happening there?
Lol, you beat me posting that about what's going on Liberty street. I just saw that the other day, I sure hope it's not another Dollar General.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:36 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Just saw the sign on Liberty. It is going to be a new senior living apartment building.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Just saw the sign on Liberty. It is going to be a new senior living apartment building.
I would love to see a market rate apt building somewhere downtown like on the lot a Washington at Hampton across from tuomey. Could appeal to nurses or medical professionals.

Old Winn Dixie on Liberty ? Where is was it located on Liberty ?

I read that Florence is getting a Hyatt downtown also. Looks like they are moving into smaller downtown markets now with projects in both Sumter and Florence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina