Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I saw a few months ago that the City was going to build their new "water department" down on S. Harvin and Bartlette St across from the Clyburn Transportation Center..Has there been any movement on that? Its interesting that the City would be buying so much property downtown (i.e. the Item) unless there is a plan to redevelop it into apartments or some other use that brings more people downtown as opposed to a parking lot.. though that could be an interim use...

The Item building looks like its in good shape though... so the City maybe trying to get some of its office out of the Opera House and dedicate it more towards the Fine Arts and Performances which would complement the hotel across the street.
Perhaps turn it into a parking space, or more office space for local government. I haven't heard any plans on that one yet. And nothing have change at S. Harvin and Bartlette streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 PM

143 posts, read 180,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I noticed that too. Here's a question......With the city building the new police and fire departments a couple blocks out of downtown, what are their plans with the existing buildings on Hampton? Not only that, but the city also bought the building/property that formerly housed the Item just across the street. That's going to be a lot of city owned vacant real estate. Is there a plan?

^^^all of that and I am still wondering what is to become of the historic courthouse.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 PM

143 posts, read 180,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Something is going up where Raging Pepperoni used to be. Next to Bakers Sweets. I never understood why they tore the building down and now are building again in the exact same footprint.
I spoke to an asst. manager at Baker's Sweets sometime ago (during their remodel) and she told me that they bought out the building where Raging Pepperoni used to be for additional parking.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
^^^all of that and I am still wondering what is to become of the historic courthouse.
The old courthouse still houses office space, the county voter registration offices for one. And, I went there once on the second floor to get a copy of a power of attorney. The courthouse system in Sumter is a mess if you ask me, they are spread out all over the place. The new Judicial Center was supposed to be the answer when they first started talking about building it, and all of the county courts will be under one roof, that never happened. Had they done that, the building would have succeeded the city height restrictions for sure

They need to use that penny tax to also build a new Civic Center, the current one is way out dated. They made it look slightly better on the outside, but nothing new on the inside. .

Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The old courthouse still houses office space, the county voter registration offices for one. And, I went there once on the second floor to get a copy of a power of attorney. The courthouse system in Sumter is a mess if you ask me, they are spread out all over the place. The new Judicial Center was supposed to be the answer when they first started talking about building it, and all of the county courts will be under one roof, that never happened. Had they done that, the building would have succeeded the city height restrictions for sure

They need to use that penny tax to also build a new Civic Center, the current one is way out dated. They made it look slightly better on the outside, but nothing new on the inside. .
I would have liked them to build a new Civic Center at the Montegue Blvd on East Liberty which is currently used by the city as an operations yard. That would get it closer to downtown and support some of the revitalization going on . The city wouldn't have to give up the entire site but there are plenty of abandon industrial sites around town to serve a a yard for city equipment I wouldn't do that in the downtown area

Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM

217 posts, read 240,494 times
A new footlocker type store called Jimmy Jazz is coming to Sumter Mall across from Gamestop.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM

I see the old NBSC bank building, that stood at the corner of main and Barlette streets is being torn down. I believe the last time it was open, it was a community Bank. It sits right across from the nursing school at the intersection. Haven't heard anything about that corner, so perhaps more parking space for the school.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:36 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I see the old NBSC bank building, that stood at the corner of main and Barlette streets is being torn down. I believe the last time it was open, it was a community Bank. It sits right across from the nursing school at the intersection. Haven't heard anything about that corner, so perhaps more parking space for the school.

I think the City bought that property and is planning to build a new water department there to move the current one out of the Opera House. I read a City Council report a few months ago authorizing the City to purchase property in that area for that purpose

Old 03-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think the City bought that property and is planning to build a new water department there to move the current one out of the Opera House. I read a City Council report a few months ago authorizing the City to purchase property in that area for that purpose
Ok thanks.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM

What in the world is going on with ALDl grocery store now. I went by there today, and looks like major work is being done to it. I saw a small bulldozer at the entrance, several dump trucks and other metal beams in the parking lot. It is definitely closed for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina