Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,371,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
The Hyatt Place on Main Street is coming along very well. Enjoy.

Main Street view

Back parking lot view

Stretching over the fence

More stretching...looking at the rear side of Hampton's

Great Pics.. I was wondering how the Hyatt was coming along..It will be a huge boost for downtown Sumter and I suspect that many of the business meetings/conferences may use it because it will have access to the restaurants and bars not to mention City Hall. Tuomey being across the street.. will likely get many folks that may be in town visiting folks and/or medical suppliers.

The only thing Sumter is missing downtown is a small conference/convention center. I believe CCTC building has been used for a few small conferences in addition to space at the Clyburn Transportation Center so maybe that will suffice? On a related note, is the War Museum still in the Clyburn Center? It was really a unique facility that had donated uniforms and photos from Sumterites that have fought in the various armed conflicts throughout history.. I was surprised that is was not that well known or promoted given the quality of some of the exhibits....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM

143 posts, read 180,067 times
Quote:
The only thing Sumter is missing downtown is a small conference/convention center. I believe CCTC building has been used for a few small conferences in addition to space at the Clyburn Transportation Center so maybe that will suffice? On a related note, is the War Museum still in the Clyburn Center? It was really a unique facility that had donated uniforms and photos from Sumterites that have fought in the various armed conflicts throughout history.. I was surprised that is was not that well known or promoted given the quality of some of the exhibits....
Wow I didn't even know about that and I live downtown. That might be another thing Sumter has to work on is promoting itself. On the Economic Development webpage, Sumter Economic Development | American Spirit, Global Edge. there are presentation videos that were well done but are now 6 years old (2011). So I will check out the Clyburn center for sure.

I agree on the need on a conference center. I also think it was a shame that Riley Field was built where it is and not connected to downtown in some way as well. It is a nice facility but it is in a residential area that is 'iffy', IMO.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:59 PM

Speaking of the Sumter Development Board; this link was originally posted by Woodlands: http://sumtersc.gov/Data/Sites/1/med...y-st-city2.pdf

Here is how it is coming along now:

Old 04-10-2017, 03:04 PM

8,248 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Wow I didn't even know about that and I live downtown. That might be another thing Sumter has to work on is promoting itself. On the Economic Development webpage, Sumter Economic Development | American Spirit, Global Edge. there are presentation videos that were well done but are now 6 years old (2011). So I will check out the Clyburn center for sure.

I agree on the need on a conference center. I also think it was a shame that Riley Field was built where it is and not connected to downtown in some way as well. It is a nice facility but it is in a residential area that is 'iffy', IMO.

Yes. the Clyburn Center is one of the best adaptive reuses of building in the State of SC. It has won a few awards. Its currently the headquarters of the local transit provide SWRTA and the local Greyhound/Southeastern Stage Bus Station which used to be waaay out on 378/76, I believe SCDOT and Congressman Clyburn also have offices there. The bus station was brought downtown to have a more traditional bus station, transfer for the local buses along with the SWRTA work shuttle that goes to Columbia and the other that goes to Myrtle Beach.. Ironically, Sumter, Spartanburg, Columbia, and maybe Greenville are the only cities that have a real transportation center(s) Columbia's just serves the local bus, SWRTA and MegaBus not Greyhound nor Amtrak..though there is a study underway that may result in a combined facility. Spartanburg has the local bus and Greyhound but not Amtrak.

Sumter is not served by Amtrak, back in the 90s there was talk of the Piedmont which is operated by Amtrak but run by NCDOT between Raleigh and Charlotte continuing on to Columbia and down to Charleston via Sumter or Orangeburg. Sumter was in the process of developing the Clyburn Center and had in the original design to place a platform across Telephone Street (side of Clyburn Center) which would align it with the existing RR. There was also a switch and a short spur that would have to be built along the existing right of way that would have connected it to the line that runs across Lafayette so that it would have continued on down to Charleston. I suspect those plans have been shelved and unless POTUS puts money into existing and new rail infrastructure. Even so, this is probably way down on the list behind several of the highspeed rail projects. At any rate a solid anchor for S. Main in that area would be ideal. If Sumter was in the process of building a new civic center.. that may be a good location for one at the foot of main st near the bridge if they closed S.Oakland between S. Main and S. Harvin and redeveloped that entire block along with sharing the parking at the Clyburn Center and CCTC in addition to demo the rag tag buildings behind CCTC on S. Harvin.. but I believe they just rehabbed the Expo Center so.. likely not in the cards....

Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Great Pics.. I was wondering how the Hyatt was coming along..It will be a huge boost for downtown Sumter and I suspect that many of the business meetings/conferences may use it because it will have access to the restaurants and bars not to mention City Hall. Tuomey being across the street.. will likely get many folks that may be in town visiting folks and/or medical suppliers.

Yes it is still there.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Here are a few more from my Sunday outing.

This is the apartment building on W Liberty.

And last but not least, the coup de gras, the FD/PD complex on Lafayette.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM

I believe the apartments on Liberty is a senior complex.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Another building in going up downtown on Liberty street, right down from the Clark law firm and where the farmers market was. The steel frame is already up as high as the second floor. You can can actually see both construction in the same view. I didn't know anything about this one, it was a pleasant surprise to see this today. I was through there on yesterday and didn't noticed this at all. Anybody know what this is?

Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
It's going to be the offices of the Sumter Development Board. I have a slight problem with the city building a brand new 2 story building when there is so much existing real estate downtown that could be refurbished and repurposed.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
It's going to be the offices of the Sumter Development Board. I have a slight problem with the city building a brand new 2 story building when there is so much existing real estate downtown that could be refurbished and repurposed.
Ok thanks, and I agree with you on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina