Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 04:54 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Surprised no one has mentioned this project. This could be huge for North Main/Morris College area if it happens

https://agenda-files.s3.amazonaws.co...18,%202017.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 03:22 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Can you cut and paste? I can't open that file.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM

217 posts, read 239,722 times
That's awesome for the city. Reminds me the apartment projects going on in Columbia and West Columbia

Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
That's awesome for the city. Reminds me the apartment projects going on in Columbia and West Columbia
I was told that the planning commission reluctantly approved it because of its height and bulk being out ofscale for that area and possible impacts on traffic. Separately I heard someone grouse about the belief that the city doesn't want this project to happen because they want the area to remain undeveloped I believe it went to city council though not sure if they approved it

Old 05-04-2017, 02:36 PM

143 posts, read 179,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was told that the planning commission reluctantly approved it because of its height and bulk being out ofscale for that area and possible impacts on traffic. Separately I heard someone grouse about the belief that the city doesn't want this project to happen because they want the area to remain undeveloped I believe it went to city council though not sure if they approved it
Why would the city want that area to remain undeveloped? That doesn't really make sense for someone to complain about that. If what is rendered becomes reality, I admit it will look out of place because it will look nice in an area that......doesn't look nice. But I have to think that the developers know of a plan or have a plan to develop that area of Main Street. Hoping that one project like that alone will revitalize N Main is naive and wishful thinking. But developers usually are not naive. So I wonder if more is to come for that corridor.

A safe play would to have this built across the street from the hospital parking garage at N Washington and Hampton and instead of so many parking spaces in the original design plan, build an adjacent joint use parking garage for the hospital and the apartment/main floor businesses. The business tenants on the ground floor would be walking distance from the revitalized Main Street area. But then again maybe there are more things in store for where this project is going to be (???)

I really wish something unfortunate would happen to the Motor Lodge at Main and Loring. I have not been shy in my loathing of that establishment (cough...***** house....cough). THen it could be demolished and nice townhomes or something can go in there.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Update!! See my post #489 on page 49.....Santee Community Mental Health facility on Pike. Parcel is being cleared of trees and brush as I post this.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Why would the city want that area to remain undeveloped? That doesn't really make sense for someone to complain about that. If what is rendered becomes reality, I admit it will look out of place because it will look nice in an area that......doesn't look nice. But I have to think that the developers know of a plan or have a plan to develop that area of Main Street. Hoping that one project like that alone will revitalize N Main is naive and wishful thinking. But developers usually are not naive. So I wonder if more is to come for that corridor.

A safe play would to have this built across the street from the hospital parking garage at N Washington and Hampton and instead of so many parking spaces in the original design plan, build an adjacent joint use parking garage for the hospital and the apartment/main floor businesses. The business tenants on the ground floor would be walking distance from the revitalized Main Street area. But then again maybe there are more things in store for where this project is going to be (???)

I really wish something unfortunate would happen to the Motor Lodge at Main and Loring. I have not been shy in my loathing of that establishment (cough...***** house....cough). THen it could be demolished and nice townhomes or something can go in there.
So you touched on part on part of their theory. 1)The city is controlled by a cabel of developers realtors builders and bankers that operate as an ole boys club. If you are not a member or doing business with a member they will use their influence on the elected officials to stifle your project 2) favored quarters- if you are not developing in one of the city's favored quarters where said ole boys club has an interest and influence in addition to what was referenced above ....in the words of Archie Bunker...STIFLED. Favored quarters of the city ? West And downtown. East North and South .. not so much Most of the city's infrastructure was built in these area because said cabel owned the land and the politicos

Back to your point. Something like this would look real nice downtown...Downtown is now a favored quarter given the development and much of it is being done by a handful of developer and owners many are local. So a development like this one on North Main, if not part of what was described above AND is successful could impact influence delay or whatever a similar project downtown or cut into that market. Again I don't say I'm all in with what was said but there is a history of this type of "inbyism' in Sumter particularly in the business sector and residential home building

Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 PM

That is my question though. I was thinking it is the small group of developers in town that are behind this. Are you saying this project is by an outsider and not the good ole boy club? I really don't know who the players are in this town.

Another thought I had is that this project might target the college crowd at Morris. That is why I think it might be an initial phase of more things. This might lead to the demolishing of those old apartments across from Morris and right next to this project.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Has anyone heard anymore about this project... the Garland Center? If it was approved by City Council.. then why wasn't it on the front page of The Item...unless I missed it. Again... 70 units and 7,000sq ft of ground floor retail across from Morris College? Seems newsworthy to me......Its item#6 in the link

https://www.voterheads.com/organizat..._agendas/95355

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-08-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 03:07 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Haven't heard anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina