Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times

Advertisements

Sumter School District is in a financial mess. Came in millions over budget without any clear reason why. Doubtful it's criminal or imbezelment (sp?) but certainly gross mismanagement by district officials and lack of inquiry by board members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
What was in the location where Glassco is now, it wasn't always in that location. Also, I saw the steel framework for the Hyatt Place going up today, construction is well under way now.
The lot next to Glassco was a meat supplier / cold storage.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Sumter School District is in a financial mess. Came in millions over budget without any clear reason why. Doubtful it's criminal or imbezelment (sp?) but certainly gross mismanagement by district officials and lack of inquiry by board members.
So, at the moment, It looks like combining the two districts was not such a good idea. Had enough problems before they combine the districts. I heard they were paying a consultant big bucks to make things right, and some teachers will be out of a job. I guess the single district became too big to manage for the current staff on hand. It probably just wasn't well thought out prior to bringing the districts together.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Whats going on with the Sumter School District??? I read a statement by a former Mayor of Sumter that the quality of the schools (district) could impact Shaw AFB when BRAC comes around. That said, the Presidents purposed budget seems to add more to DOD so maybe that want be a factor in the near future.. but I was surprised that they go to that level of detail when considering base closures.

I have often wondered what Sumter would do if Shaw closed. Is there a contingency plan on what to do with the property? Sumter I fear would not bounce back as quickly as say Charleston (Navy Yard)and Myrtle Beach(AFB) did when they had their closures. Unless FED EX was in the market for a new distribution center like what they have in Memphis.. not sure what could be done with it...
I was thinking BRAC was over and done with. They had several rounds of it, and each time the people in Sumter was left guessing.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Whats going on with the Sumter School District??? I read a statement by a former Mayor of Sumter that the quality of the schools (district) could impact Shaw AFB when BRAC comes around. That said, the Presidents purposed budget seems to add more to DOD so maybe that want be a factor in the near future.. but I was surprised that they go to that level of detail when considering base closures.

I have often wondered what Sumter would do if Shaw closed. Is there a contingency plan on what to do with the property? Sumter I fear would not bounce back as quickly as say Charleston (Navy Yard)and Myrtle Beach(AFB) did when they had their closures. Unless FED EX was in the market for a new distribution center like what they have in Memphis.. not sure what could be done with it...
I'm sure they have talked about that already. That is something you don't wait until it happens to start working on a plan. Years ago, rumors had it out that it would become a commercial airport of some sort.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
I'm sure they have talked about that already. That is something you don't wait until it happens to start working on a plan. Years ago, rumors had it out that it would become a commercial airport of some sort.
I am sure CAE wouldn't like that. Ideally the perfect location for Columbias Airport would be where McEntire ANG is located but only if 378 had been selected over 20 as an Interstate It would have served Sumter better and been called Sumter -Columbia Airport which would have given Sumter a boost ... oh well

Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
I was thinking BRAC was over and done with. They had several rounds of it, and each time the people in Sumter was left guessing.
I thouht it could still happen (Not often) when DOD needs to assess their facilities based on their ability to address their mission and their age condition but I could be wrong. The former mayor is in some committee that works with Shaw and brought it up as a concern ...so that made me think there is still a possibility that it could happen. I remember the city went through great pains to limit development in the flight path because encroachment of development made your rankings go up in a bad way. I always found it amusing that you would have to encourage people NOT to live in the flight path of an AFB. The noise alone would drive you nuts

Old 03-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I thouht it could still happen (Not often) when DOD needs to assess their facilities based on their ability to address their mission and their age condition but I could be wrong. The former mayor is in some committee that works with Shaw and brought it up as a concern ...so that made me think there is still a possibility that it could happen. I remember the city went through great pains to limit development in the flight path because encroachment of development made your rankings go up in a bad way. I always found it amusing that you would have to encourage people NOT to live in the flight path of an AFB. The noise alone would drive you nuts
Yes, it could still happen again, but since then they have moved an army base from Georgia to Shaw in the last round. Anything is possible though, and I hope they do have some plan ready to go should that happen. That would be a major major blow to the Sumter economy.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM

217 posts, read 240,290 times
There is a new Horne Properties sign on 521 at Alice Dr.
It says outlots for sale. Every time i ve seen outlot signs in Columbia they are connected to shopping center

Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM

My coworker told that McLaughlin Ford, will be moving out Broad street where all the other dealers are. He said near BWW I was thinking a hotel was going there. That entire area around McLaughlin Ford and the overpass there is supposed to be redone. Some homes and businesses in the area will be bought out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina