Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 PM

86 posts, read 61,012 times

Advertisements

Hi SC CD,

I hope everyone is staying safe and well during this time. While under lockdown, I’ve been thinking a lot about my next steps. I can move anywhere in the US as long as it’s within a 30 mile radius of an airport.

My priorities are:

• an affordable area (home for less than $200,000)
•walkable city with trails, or large parks nearby
•beautiful, historic touches and a community feel
•good food (fresh, organic) to do lots of cooking (my 2nd passion
•Non-extreme cold weather

And a huge desire is finding a place to ride and board a horse. At I’ve been taking lessons for years and leasing, but I’m 34 years old this year and feel like it’s time to have my own horse soon. I’d love to find a dressage barn, but wouldn’t be opposed to an eventing, or hunter/jumper facility.

I’ve looked at Aiken and Charleston, but I’m not sure if either are a good option for everything I’m looking for. I have a pretty active social life and don’t want to be too isolated, but I also don’t want to be so deep in a city it’s difficult to get out and ride. I’ve lived in extremely beautiful places (Bay Area, Southern CA, PNW) and don’t want to continue to get caught in high cost of living areas that make horseback barely affordable. I’m also worried about culture shock going from large city life to a more laid back area, but I also feel ready for a more low key, peaceful environment.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:11 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
That's really tough. I thought Aiken until I got to the last paragraph. Aiken isn't backwards, but it certainly isn't even remotely comparable to the other places you been.

I absolutely don't want this to get political, but given your previous homes, you may be in for a culture shock.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,910 times
Could also try Camden.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions I’m open to different perspectives and understand no where is going to be the same but hope for somewhere I can still have a good quality of life. I find people colder and more introverted in the PNW despite the large transplant population. I would rather live somewhere more open and friendly, even if they don’t share my political beliefs. I’m an independent and fairly middle of the road with slightly more left leanings

Old 04-15-2020, 10:27 PM

482 posts, read 419,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
I’m an independent and fairly middle of the road with slightly more left leanings
Based on this comment, plus your housing budget, need to be close to an airport and horse facilities, SC may not be for you. Why not Kentucky?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:57 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Could also try Camden.

That is a good suggestion. Gives you access to Columbia, but all the horse stuff that Camden offers.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Based on this comment, plus your housing budget, need to be close to an airport and horse facilities, SC may not be for you. Why not Kentucky?
Funny you bring this up, I was actually born in KY. I prefer SC and having the coast nearby. Probably from living in coastal states my whole life. That and the winters in KY are a lot more; I want somewhere with easy weather for year round riding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina