Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,926,895 times

Advertisements

I guess than Danny Banany and I are going opposite directions. I am heading to Rapid City for the weekend and will leave Friday and be there until Sunday. Is Spearfish Canyon still nice to drive through currently? How is Mt. Rushmore and Badlands for activity? I will try to make it through those areas during the daytime. I understand that there is less snow there than in the eastern two-thirds of the state.

For those in the Hills, what is being said about the weather this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 AM

70 posts, read 406,886 times
There is no snow on the ground to speak of in much of the hills right now because for the last couple days the weather has been very mild.

Check NOAA's National Weather Service for weather updates as they can change from hour-to-hour.

There is a chance for light snow later in the week and into Saturday, and not as warm with highs only in the mid 30s.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Spearfish Canyon is always a beautiful drive, but there aren't any leaves on the trees this time of year, so it won't be as dramatic as it is in the fall. The only place with snow right now is the ski resorts and maybe the summit of Harney Peak. Today it's supposed to be 55-60 degrees in Rapid City, but very windy. Looks like it will cool down this weekend and probably snow.

Drive Safe!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Danny,

Does the snow this weekend appear to be heavy or severe from what you have heard? If it is a mild event, I do not forsee it being a huge issue.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Doesn't seem to be too severe, however it is much more difficult to predict that far ahead in Rapid City than it is East River. Keep an eye on the forecast and you should be fine. At least it's Interstate the whole way. So, what brings you "Out West"?

KOTA Territory NewsWeather

Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 PM

I am heading out the Wild West to see Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, and to get away for the weekend. If the snow stays on the mild side, the trip will cure my cabin fever. I have two vacation days to use up. I have a mid-sized sedan that handles the snow well and demonstrated that this week (although I am very cautious on snow and ice). Thanks for the tips, Danny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota