Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM

606 posts, read 699,194 times

Advertisements

Is west S.D better or east S.D better?
Which city has the most affordable house and job opportunites at the same time? Rapid city? Sioux Fall?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Sioux Falls would have the most job opportunities and I think that the Sx. Falls area and the Black Hills area probably run pretty close to the same for rent. They're both the high rent areas of the state. East River is pretty, but it's flat and used to be the prairie. Sioux Falls is the largest city in the state. West River is ranch land, but the the further west you go, the prettier the scenery gets. The Badlands and the Black Hills are out that way and they're beautiful. If you wanted to live West River, Rapid City would be the place to check for jobs. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:29 PM

25 posts, read 98,347 times
Question Best area?

Boy, this is a hard one. It depends on what you want to look at. If you want flat land, no hills, then go for the east end pf the state. For hills, pine trees and such, the Black Hills would be your choice.
If you ask a random sampling of people here what they prefer, you will most likely get the same answer. Do you want to ski in winter, fish in summer, hike,or just go exploring? Are you looking for the best area to get jobs, want low rents and cost of living? There are so darn many things that will make a difference in which area meets your want list choices.
Not only that, but to one person an ideal place is totally different than another's ideas. Sorry to seem contrary, but that's about one of the hardest questions to answer.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:37 AM

Thank you for your answers!
Actually,I don't really care about the natural environment.Both east and west are okay to me.I'm only concerned about job opportunity for electric engineer.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Then Sioux Falls is definitely your best bet. It is a very pretty and clean city. They have the Falls Park area and the Phillips to the Falls and it's beautiful. Good luck and let us know how you turn out.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 AM

It soulds so great.Thank you,Jammie

Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
It soulds so great.Thank you,Jammie
You might also want to know that South Dakota pays Electrical Engineers about $ .60 cents on the dollar as compared to just about anyplace else.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
After living east and west - I vote west - it is a little more expensive then the east, but you pay for the mountain views and pines, the low humidity, the lack of bugs in the summer, and milder winter weather Very worth it to me!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
You might also want to know that South Dakota pays Electrical Engineers about $ .60 cents on the dollar as compared to just about anyplace else.
maybe miners earn more? What's the hottest job there?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,738 times
I lived just outside of Sturgis (West River) for 11 years. It seems among the highest paid people worked for the federal govt (Veterans Admin, or teacher on a reservation like Takini School) The obious health care workers and lawyers, realtors seemed to do well, business owners that had a year round business that could cater to the locals and the motorcycle Rally goers and other tourists each summer do well. For me anyway, it was very very hard to find reliable carpenters, brickworkers, landscapers...etc etc everyone was too busy in the summer to add new customers. I worked as a casemanager and earned below the US average but it was worth it to live there ( I was ofset by my dh making a good salary in health care though) I correspond with someone on another board who works in the ethanol field and apparently that is really hot right now (East River near Sioux Falls!)

Best wishes!

Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota