Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
This stuff scares the heck out of me!!! An asteroid just passed beyond our Moon and the Earth's orbit (270,000 miles away) at approximately 7:06 PM yesterday; we just discovered it barely a day earlier. It was over 70 feet across, which is more than large enough to devastate any major city on impact or even if it shattered/exploded above said city.

We would barely have ample time to even contemplate any deflective or destructive scenario to prevent a collision with Earth. In January a smaller asteroid passed within 76,000 miles of Earth...that's ONLY about 10 Earth diameters away. One time soon, we are not going to be so LUCKY!!! And I myself, trying to stay current on Science Issues, just heard about it.

I think it's TIME the Worlds' Governments/Countries Take these threats MORE SERIOUSLY!!!! .

Small asteroid to zip harmlessly past Earth | Science Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20100408/US.SCI.Asteroid.Flyby/ - broken link)
Stuff Happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
LOL.....very true....just hope not in my lifetime ;-)

Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
We should blow up the moon. The resulting debris field will act as a cellestial obstacle course for future intrusion into our atmosphere and ensure a long and prosperous continuation of the American Way. Plus, it would be good practice in case we ever have to blow something up that was bigger than the moon.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Unfortunately that idea would leave our species without Space Travel for centuries if not even longer. It would be impossible to get through that debris field and would render our satellites useless as well.

Kessler syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Unfortunately that idea would leave our species without Space Travel for centuries if not even longer. It would be impossible to get through that debris field and would render our satellites useless as well.

Kessler syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh no, no more space travel! Like we've really accomplished anything up until now. Are you planning to ditch the rest of us here!? The money we save could be used to feed and clothe the world's needy and research better ways to blast incoming asteroids out of the sky.

I would think the resulting moon debris would be far enough up there to not effect our satellite system and would probably look cooler than the existing single orb on those nights when visible to us down here.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Well if you read the links you would realize that you are sadly mistaken....any explosion large enough to blow up the MOON.....would actually probably render our planet lifeless......let alone without space travel! Think of all the debris(asteroids) hitting our planet; not to mention that the shock wave from the explosion would most likely blow away our planet's atmosphere. And if there were any survivors...well...the tides would essentially be all messed up. And the MOON helps stabilize our planet's orbit and rotational axis angle....the Earth would wobble uncontrollably on it's axis and that would essential be "all she wrote".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

http://search.comcast.net/?q=What+Wo...s+Destroyed%3F

It would, IMHO, probably take thousands of GIGATONS to literally blow up the MOON....ROFLMFAO!!!! Blow up the moon to save the Earth.....probably one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read in this forum to date and I've read some "LULU'S". ;-)

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-08-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 PM

You made my night>>>>>THANX!!!!! ;-)

YouTube - ‪Arnold Schwarzenegger Blows Up The Moon! (OFFICIAL)‬‎

YouTube - ‪Mr Show - America Blows Up The Moon/You're Fired‬‎

YouTube - ‪Moon exploding‬‎

Here's a person who partially agreed with you; however .......well.......let's just say he was mistaken.
Alexander Abian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-08-2010 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 PM

A National Geographic Video about what would happen to the Earth; just if the Moon moved......let alone were blown up!

YouTube - ‪Earth in Chaos‬‎

Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 AM

^ This is all just scientific mumbo jumbo and as proven with 8-track tape players and amphibious cars, science is wrong about 30% of the time. We won't know unless we try the maxi-atmospheric debris zone and if we wait until a big rock is heading our way it might be too late to implement at that time. Albert Einstein said it best when he stated...

"anything worthwhile doing is best done right away so that you can have time to see whether or not it works like you think it might".

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 PM

LOL.....whatever you say......I think I have adequately proven my point with the Scientific Method....rather than using baseless/senseless/ridiculous/ claims without links and/or educational sources/videos, as in your irrelevant posts. Quit while you're "ahead"....really you posts are making you appear(covers mouth).

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I supplied the links proving my assertions.....where are yours????? After all......You yourself saw Arnie BLOWING up our MOON......ROFLMFAO......Making my day again. ;-)

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-10-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space