Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times

Advertisements

This stuff scares the heck out of me!!! An asteroid just passed beyond our Moon and the Earth's orbit (270,000 miles away) at approximately 7:06 PM yesterday; we just discovered it barely a day earlier. It was over 70 feet across, which is more than large enough to devastate any major city on impact or even if it shattered/exploded above said city.

We would barely have ample time to even contemplate any deflective or destructive scenario to prevent a collision with Earth. In January a smaller asteroid passed within 76,000 miles of Earth...that's ONLY about 10 Earth diameters away. One time soon, we are not going to be so LUCKY!!! And I myself, trying to stay current on Science Issues, just heard about it.

I think it's TIME the Worlds' Governments/Countries Take these threats MORE SERIOUSLY!!!! .

Small asteroid to zip harmlessly past Earth | Science Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20100408/US.SCI.Asteroid.Flyby/ - broken link)

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 04-09-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 PM

694 posts, read 745,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
This stuff scares the heck out of me!!! An asteroid just passed beyond our Moon and the Earth's orbit (270,000 miles away) at approximately 7:06 PM yesterday; we just discovered it barely a day earlier. It was over 70 feet across, which is more than large enough to devastate any major city on impact or even if it shattered/exploded above said city.

We would barely have ample time to even contemplate any deflective or destructive scenario to prevent a collision with Earth. In January a smaller asteroid passed within 76,000 miles of Earth...that's ONLY about 10 Earth diameters away. One time soon, we are not going to be so LUCKY!!! And I myself, trying to stay current on Science Issues, just heard about it.

I think it's TIME the Worlds' Governments/Countries Take these threats MORE SERIOUSLY!!!! .

Small asteroid to zip harmlessly past Earth | Science Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20100408/US.SCI.Asteroid.Flyby/ - broken link)
These things don't bother me. If we get hit by one, we get hit. I am not belittling you for being concerned, however. You know the gov't as well as I do. We won't take serious action until a major city gets turned to dust by one of the space rocks. Then, shortly after, we will forget about it as we did 911!

Charles

Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
70 feet would likely just break up in the upper atmosphere. Get around 200 feet and you are starting to get in the serious effects range.

What may be scaring you is that when you hear of one passing close, you think there is a reasonable chance it could impact Earth. The key word is REASONABLE.

Distance from Earth to Moon - 238857 miles -round it to 240,000

Area covered within moon's orbit - (Pi R squared) 181,000,000,000 square miles

Earth's diameter - 7926.28 miles

Area of the circle described by Earth 50,000,000 square miles

3620 to 1 chance that anything that gets within the orbit of the Moon misses Earth.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
These things don't bother me. If we get hit by one, we get hit. I am not belittling you for being concerned, however. You know the gov't as well as I do. We won't take serious action until a major city gets turned to dust by one of the space rocks. Then, shortly after, we will forget about it as we did 911!

Charles
I don't lose sleep over it but there are also possible ramifications that an asteroid hit "outta nowhere", could be misinterpreted as a nuclear attack within the initial hours after impact......possibly starting a nuclear exchange out of ignorance before radiation samples are taken.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
70 feet would likely just break up in the upper atmosphere. Get around 200 feet and you are starting to get in the serious effects range.

What may be scaring you is that when you hear of one passing close, you think there is a reasonable chance it could impact Earth. The key word is REASONABLE.

3620 to 1 chance that anything that gets within the orbit of the Moon misses Earth.
LOL...I took Statistics, but as you well know our luck is running out...MY POINT is we did NOT see this one coming until it was essentially "TOO LATE' to react appropriately; NOT the liklihood of impact!

Also I mentioned that it could very well break up/explode in the atmosphere. BUT if it were to possess a iron core the likely possibility of surviving atmospheric entry greatly increases.
Asteroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember the TUNGUSKA comet event/explosion in Russia/Siberia of 1908; it never impacted the planet....was probably a lose agglomeration of ice/rock, exploded high in the atmosphere; YET DESTROYED over 2,000 square kilometers of forest.....making the trees look like flattened matchsticks.

An asteroid is FAR denser than any comet and the explosive force would be FAR greater. The TUNGUSKA event was estimated at between 10 to 15 megatons....comparable to our largest thermonuclear weapons ever detonated... and 1,000 times more powerful the Hiroshima blast.

StateMaster - Encyclopedia: Tunguska impact

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AND the TUNGUSKA EVENT "impactor" was estimated to be NO larger(tens of meters across) than this asteroid was!!! . See my point now!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 PM

948 posts, read 2,793,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Thats enough math to spin my brain, but I don't see anything reflecting gravitational force of the earth -

Old 04-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Thats enough math to spin my brain, but I don't see anything reflecting gravitational force of the earth -
LOL...I know Statistics; but I too would have trouble doing the math; but could if necessary. I don't understand what that(Earth's gravity) has to do with the thread topic???? .

Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
The idea is that the gravity could influence the path towards the Earth. That would be negligable if you consider it.

If the asteroid was deflected towards the Earth by Earth gravity, a near miss would make the asteroid come at us faster, but because of the shallow angle, wouldn't deflect it very much. If the asteroid was moving very slowly relative to the Earth, there would be greater deflection, but most travel at a fairly fast pace in relation to the Earth.

Tunguska is not as good a predictor of effect as the Barringer Crater in Arizona Meteor Crater

That asteroid impact was from one 150' across, which is VERY roughly 7 times more mass.

The effects of mass entering the atmosphere can vary wildly. As you'll remember, the breakup of the space shuttle had little effect on the ground other than showering down parts.

Time actually IS on our side. In early planet formation impacts were common. The solar system has been swept clean of most of the offenders by now.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,955 times
A couple of things I haven't yet heard about the fly-by is anything about its composition (stony or nickel iron?), or how fast it was traveling.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think it's TIME the Worlds' Governments/Countries Take these threats MORE SERIOUSLY!!!!
What's your suggestion? We already have the NEO Program, and there are a lot of people that want to shut down NASA altogether. They're idiots, but their vote counts just as much as yours or mine.

Will another major impact happen? Yep. The "when" is the wildcard, and the odds are very strongly in favor of "not in our lifetimes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space