Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM

109 posts, read 364,359 times

Advertisements

For those researching where to relocate, this might help you narrow choices or define what is needed:

Best States with Services for Autism - LoveToKnow Autism

Yes, the needs will be different for every child and the needs are also different for every family.

Do your research well before you move

Connect to a parent to parent group before you go

Good luck to everyone needing to relocate for their kids' sake. I am doing it too!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Thanks, I am beginning to look for good schools and we feel the best place to move is where the education is the best for our son, then where the jobs are.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 AM

I am in a similar spot. I have homeschooled in the past because my college was online.

If kids are not comfortable and/or progressing well in school, then it will not allow time to concentrate on a job or keep a job. Once the employer knows you have special needs kids, they often look to fire you anyway.....Ironic...

Do not move to GA under any circumstances. Autism and Asperger's are not considered real unless they are severe (multiple dx's) and support can be HUGELY lacking depending on what county you land in. I have some dumb jerks who are trying to bully me into staying here forever despite no job outlook, poor quality of education and no support services for autism and aspergers'. :-(

Good luck, gypsysoul22, but just know that in GA, they seem to want to kill off people who are gypsy at heart. Don't even risk a larger county because often the teachers live in smaller counties with similar attitudes.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Yup, I like NC. A college there (forget which one) created an adapted behavior therapy program for use by classroom teachers. My youngest son got excellent preschool help in Tacoma, WA that incorporated that program. I can't live in NC because of family disputes that have nothing to do with me but are being taken out on me. That's the way it goes in big family families like both my parents came from. I learned that lesson in GA.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
As I suspected, MO is one of the top five, and I think it's because St. Louis is the only city in the US that still has a Special School District, and some of the schools "specialize" in autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children