Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 AM

67 posts, read 246,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I am a former Southern Californian, like yourself, and I obviously didn't carry. May I ask, just what the need was for carrying in LA?
I owned 5 restaurants and although I used an armor car service for my cash deposits many criminals thought that I would be carrying large sums of cash on me.

I was held-up twice at gun-point and decided that I wasn't going to take it anymore. I applied for a CCW and since I worked as a Citizen Volunteer for the Sheriff's department (I had a little pull) and because I could show a need, I was granted one.

I then spent several weeks (not at the same time) at Gunsite in Arizona training to use and carry a weapon.

I used my gun once (never fired it) when two men with ski masks decided to come out of the bushes at me late at night. They had cocked a weapon and was running towards me. My training kicked in and I pulled my Glock 27 (Product placement) while taking partial cover and told the advancing felons to STOP or I would shoot. They decided that I was not this easy target they thought and left the scene.

I was prepared to fire in self-defense, but the gun had already proven it's worth as the ultimate deterrent.

I carried while I owned the business and also when going out to questionable areas in California. I have never carried in Washington and do not have a permit to carry and feel no need to have one. It was never a macho trip or a vigilante attitude that made me carry, instead it was one that I was not going to be the victim anymore.

As you stated we have different realities due to our life-experiences, I don't hunt, but don't have any problems with those that do. I feel that a gun can be your best defense against people who wish to do you harm. I have guns in my house and I enjoy target shooting.

I hope the person who pulled the gun on you was arrested, tried and convicted of the felony that they did. They would then lose their right to own a gun in California and that would be a good thing since they do not have the capability to handle one correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM

16 posts, read 49,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Quick tip for anyone thinking of moving here. Get a cheap hotel for a few days and a couple bicycles, and bike around the neighborhoods you are prospecting. You'll cover a lot of ground (infact you can cover most of the city in a few days, it ain't that big),
First off, it ISN'T that big

Secondly, in order to DRIVE from one side of Spokane to the other (i.e. northside to south hill) it will take you 30-45 min. That's a big town. Come to Yuma where the population is the same and it takes 5 min to drive from one end to the other. It takes me 30 min to drive to the next town and that's from leaving in the middle of Yuma! = )

Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM

12 posts, read 34,019 times
Default Retirement in Spokane, WA area

What is retirement like in Spokane? My husband is in early 60's and I am in late 50's. We want to look for a Continuiing Care Retirement community in the area.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM

77 posts, read 406,176 times
Default Wow

I blink and miss all the action!

Chef and David thank you both for the lively posts. I would guess one likes guns and one is not a fan.

On this point I am keeping my big mouth shut...BUT I did wake up once at 418am with someone crouched at the foot of my bed and I can tell you that I did not greet him/her in a manner they expected.... ok so I did not keep my big mouth shut.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM

108 posts, read 361,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small and solar View Post
I blink and miss all the action!

Chef and David thank you both for the lively posts. I would guess one likes guns and one is not a fan.

On this point I am keeping my big mouth shut...BUT I did wake up once at 418am with someone crouched at the foot of my bed and I can tell you that I did not greet him/her in a manner they expected.... ok so I did not keep my big mouth shut.
go on...

Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangapril View Post
First off, it ISN'T that big

Secondly, in order to DRIVE from one side of Spokane to the other (i.e. northside to south hill) it will take you 30-45 min. That's a big town. Come to Yuma where the population is the same and it takes 5 min to drive from one end to the other. It takes me 30 min to drive to the next town and that's from leaving in the middle of Yuma! = )
First off, "ain't" was a joke. Guess it ain't funny.

Second (not 'secondly') I wasn't implying someone bike from one end of the city to the other.. but merely cruise the neighborhoods they are interested in. Why do I say this? Because I have two bikes and I bike around everywhere, and you can get a *feel* for a neighborhood when you are exposed to the sounds and smells of it, when you can make eye contact with people and smile, see if they respond in-kind or stare you down. I also suggested biking because driving around Spokane must rank as one of the least compelling activities on earth, right behind moving furniture or feeding cats. Biking through the city (or walking, if you're that type), is actually really fun. If you want someone to bike with when you visit, send me a PM and we'll meet at starbucks or something, I'd love to bike around with strangers, keep it fresh, you know.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeljune View Post
What is retirement like in Spokane? My husband is in early 60's and I am in late 50's. We want to look for a Continuiing Care Retirement community in the area.
Spokane could be compared to a large retirement community, blended with a large family community, but with just a pinch of young single people. Retirement is the name of the game here, you'll fit right in, especially if you're retired military or you have lots of grandkids, or what-have-you.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeljune View Post
I would agree with chiaroscuro, but, as I posted earlier, the winters do chase many retirees away. Most I know who have left due to winter cite the cold and how it effects their arthritis. But, it's not as bad as a cold damp or humid place--it's not a humid town.

Keep in mind that long, cold, and snowy winters do happen.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:43 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Keep in mind that long, cold, and snowy winters do happen.
And so do wonderful summers! Love the spring and fall, too. Love all four seasons. There's fun stuff to do in every one of them, including winter.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,878 times
What is it like for a college student? What is the night life like? What are some cheap and safe places to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area