Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM

99 posts, read 317,676 times

Advertisements

In regard to the "hate, hate, hate Spokane" sentiment.

Is the "crime" predominately downtown? For instance, living in a rural area 20 or 30 miles out, would it be generally cool to leave your place and go on vacation? Going down town is strictly for theatre or dinner type activities as far as I'm concerned and only rarely that. Even here in California, I spend my free time in the hills, dog running around, .38 on my hip.

On the intolerance front. I notice that often the same person that rates a place as being "intolerant" also goes on to state that too many Californians is another downside. Anybody else find that odd?

Seriously. I'm sensitive to the Cali-hatred. I don't want to move somewhere that I can't get along. I love western Montana. My life long friend who now lives in the Bitteroot valley, insists that I rent a car with Montana plates and swear that I'm from Arizona when I visit. He "can't be seen to associate with one of those Californians." Sounds silly but he's dead serious. "But dude, we went to high school together in California." "Don't tell anybody that S____ either, I lived in Vegas, Florida and Michigan since then." I have gotten a few dumb comments when buying my fishing license. Invariably, show my ID get the eye roll. Is it that bad in the Spokane area?

Really, though I live in San Diego and was born in LA, I grew up in the desert. I drive a smelly diesel 4X4. I'm an NRA life member, firearms instructor. I listen to country music (mostly.) I thank service members for their service. Have worn the uniform, still stand at attention to colors. I tear up at the ballgame when they play the anthem. I think I should fit in just about any smallish town. Yet, this is the issue I'm concerned about because I hear it everywhere.

I don't want to change the place I move to, I just want some elbow room, to talk to my neighbors in english, join a church, ride my quad without a 2.5 hour drive to the approved area, maybe have a horse again, and afford to live in a descent house. Too much to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
If people roll their eyes at you when they see your ID, just look at them straight and with a southern drawl say, "You got a problem with that, son/darlin'?"
Sorry, little redneck humour...
My grandmother lives in the Bitterroot, too and I have heard the odd nasty comment. It's too bad, really. I get the idea from different posters on this forum that it's not so bad being from California (or elsewhere) if you don't act "Californian" and try to change things. You sound like you might just fit right in. :~) D

Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM

67 posts, read 246,915 times
Rogdog,We lived for 25 years in California before we moved up here and have yet found any ‘real’ negative California sentiment.

The worst thing that happened was when we started to remodel a house we just bought the contractors would up the bids when they saw the California license plates. They use to think (4 years ago) that we sold our house for a huge profit and had money to burn.

Solution: get Washington plates and don’t tell them you moved from Cali.

Other then that you will get far more hatred thrown at you in California driving around with a anti-Obama bumper sticker on you car – in one day; then you would get up here in a year with a I love California bumper sticker.

As far as crime goes, what freaking crime????????

Compared to LA this place is as wild and scary as a petting zoo – seriously.

My wife and I have walked around downtown even around Dick’s hamburgers area, felony flats and hillyard all at night. The ‘bad element’ here in Spokane wouldn’t survive a day in Jr. High school in LA.

Sheez Spokane police didn’t even get it’s first helicopter until a couple of years ago and it barely seems to fly.

We live north of the city and the owners of the house we bought didn’t even have keys for it. They never locked the door. My wife has a very nice Ford 250 Diesel with a $ 700 radio and a removable faceplate on it. In LA if we didn’t remove the faceplate it would be stolen (it happened once, the only time she didn’t do, running into a 7-11). Up here we have never removed it and nothing has ever been stolen, she doesn’t even lock the tailgate up here, down in LA it would have been off in 10 minutes.

My neighbor leaves tens of thousands of dollars of tools out in a open shed, welders, engine hoists, compressors, etc. No alarm, no door, no nothing and he is gone about 3 months out of the year. Never had anything stolen.

Granted if you were in downtown you can’t be so careless, but if you look at the crime roosters most of them appear to be juvenile opportunity type crimes.

I had a CCW in California and almost always carried; up here I feel no need. When you hear gunshots up here, they are long guns and its hunting season, to date I have never heard small arms fire in Spokane, not like LA where we would hear it 2-3 times a week.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,545 times
RetiredChef, this is SUCH a good post. My husband and I got a few good chuckles out of it because you worded things so good, and we can so relate to what you are saying. We lived in SoCal for 8 1/2 years, and we returned to the Northwest very happily! We went back to Spokane first, where we were from, and now we're in Boise -- but we're looking to return to Spokane because it is "home."

Anyway, great post. There were some definite wonderful things about SoCal, but overall we are VERY happy to be out of there and back in the beautiful Northwest.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 24,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsmom2 View Post
run away. dont move here. narrow minded people. homeless everywhere. 30 yrs backward. i cant say how awful it is. so what if homes are cheaper ; who wants to live here? go to couer d'alene idaho and commute to work. wish we had. biggest mistake of our lives. hate hate hate spokane with a passion. can u tell?
Unfortunately, unlike Retiredchief, I am not so gracious.

I'd be more than happy to buy Jacksonsmom a one-way ticket to Seattle or Portland, or whatever 'real city' she deems her narcissistic butt would fit into.

I grew up in Spokane, obtained 2 college degrees here. Moved to Chicago, Phoenix, San Diego & then Mississippi while obtaining a professional degree. Now can live anywhere in the country as my job is perfectly mobile. Guess where I returned to? Spokane

Since I've been gone and returned, I have noticed that nothing has changed either. People who live in Spokane still feel the need to bash it. Seattle, Portland, and now even Boise (at times) try to play up how superior they are to us. And all the while, I keep silently hoping that this belief will keep 'those' people from moving here & ruining what Spokane really is. A great place where people 'live and let live' & don't feel the need to sip espresso in overpriced coffee bars & act like intellectuals who really 'know it all'. Hell, give me a backyard bbq & a cold brew any day of the week over that froo-froo crap anyday!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:29 PM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanative View Post
Unfortunately, unlike Retiredchief, I am not so gracious.

I'd be more than happy to buy Jacksonsmom a one-way ticket to Seattle or Portland, or whatever 'real city' she deems her narcissistic butt would fit into.

I grew up in Spokane, obtained 2 college degrees here. Moved to Chicago, Phoenix, San Diego & then Mississippi while obtaining a professional degree. Now can live anywhere in the country as my job is perfectly mobile. Guess where I returned to? Spokane

Since I've been gone and returned, I have noticed that nothing has changed either. People who live in Spokane still feel the need to bash it. Seattle, Portland, and now even Boise (at times) try to play up how superior they are to us. And all the while, I keep silently hoping that this belief will keep 'those' people from moving here & ruining what Spokane really is. A great place where people 'live and let live' & don't feel the need to sip espresso in overpriced coffee bars & act like intellectuals who really 'know it all'. Hell, give me a backyard bbq & a cold brew any day of the week over that froo-froo crap anyday!
kudos and a soft chuckle... :~) D

Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM

99 posts, read 317,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredChef View Post
Rogdog,We lived for 25 years in California before we moved up here and have yet found any ‘real’ negative California sentiment.
Good to know. Try driving through Darby Montana with Cal plates. Ray, the Town Marshall will love you long time. Maybe it's a Montana thing. My buddy warns me, I've experienced it and just go read that forum on this board. Every third thread is dedicated to it and the others always find a way to mention it. Like it's a matter of fact that Californians are the root of every problem known to man. It's rather ridiculus.

Quote:

As far as crime goes, what freaking crime????????

Compared to LA this place is as wild and scary as a petting zoo – seriously.

My wife and I have walked around downtown even around Dick’s hamburgers area, felony flats and hillyard all at night. The ‘bad element’ here in Spokane wouldn’t survive a day in Jr. High school in LA.

Sheez Spokane police didn’t even get it’s first helicopter until a couple of years ago and it barely seems to fly.

We live north of the city and the owners of the house we bought didn’t even have keys for it. They never locked the door. My wife has a very nice Ford 250 Diesel with a $ 700 radio and a removable faceplate on it. In LA if we didn’t remove the faceplate it would be stolen (it happened once, the only time she didn’t do, running into a 7-11). Up here we have never removed it and nothing has ever been stolen, she doesn’t even lock the tailgate up here, down in LA it would have been off in 10 minutes.

My neighbor leaves tens of thousands of dollars of tools out in a open shed, welders, engine hoists, compressors, etc. No alarm, no door, no nothing and he is gone about 3 months out of the year. Never had anything stolen.

Granted if you were in downtown you can’t be so careless, but if you look at the crime roosters most of them appear to be juvenile opportunity type crimes.
I suspected as much but reading some posts here I got the idea the local NeoNazi's were on a rampage. I don't actually fear that type of banger much as they are dumber than your average Crip or Blood or TOC or MS13 which are our major flavors. Plus, I'm white and probably not their target.

My immediate neighbors here on the block are all armed to the teeth and we look out for each other. One or more of us is always home. Without that security system, we wouldn't stand a chance. If we move to a more rural setting, of course there wouldn't be a neighbor right there. I sort of imaging folks being a little more respectful out there but of course not everyone would be.

We have some acerage in Northern AZ (a foolish purchase.) It's way out in the middle of nowhere and I wouldn't think of being out there unarmed. Everybody you run into is armed, it's normal. My tools and water tanks and such seem to stay put though. Sometimes for a year or more without a visit.

Quote:
I had a CCW in California and almost always carried; up here I feel no need. When you hear gunshots up here, they are long guns and its hunting season, to date I have never heard small arms fire in Spokane, not like LA where we would hear it 2-3 times a week.
How in the heck did you get one of those? I have both the AZ and UT CCW but California is out of the question. I don't know anyone other than cops who have them.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM

247 posts, read 538,336 times
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdog View Post
In regard to the "hate, hate, hate Spokane" sentiment.

Is the "crime" predominately downtown? For instance, living in a rural area 20 or 30 miles out, would it be generally cool to leave your place and go on vacation? Going down town is strictly for theatre or dinner type activities as far as I'm concerned and only rarely that. Even here in California, I spend my free time in the hills, dog running around, .38 on my hip.

On the intolerance front. I notice that often the same person that rates a place as being "intolerant" also goes on to state that too many Californians is another downside. Anybody else find that odd?

Seriously. I'm sensitive to the Cali-hatred. I don't want to move somewhere that I can't get along. I love western Montana. My life long friend who now lives in the Bitteroot valley, insists that I rent a car with Montana plates and swear that I'm from Arizona when I visit. He "can't be seen to associate with one of those Californians." Sounds silly but he's dead serious. "But dude, we went to high school together in California." "Don't tell anybody that S____ either, I lived in Vegas, Florida and Michigan since then." I have gotten a few dumb comments when buying my fishing license. Invariably, show my ID get the eye roll. Is it that bad in the Spokane area?

Really, though I live in San Diego and was born in LA, I grew up in the desert. I drive a smelly diesel 4X4. I'm an NRA life member, firearms instructor. I listen to country music (mostly.) I thank service members for their service. Have worn the uniform, still stand at attention to colors. I tear up at the ballgame when they play the anthem. I think I should fit in just about any smallish town. Yet, this is the issue I'm concerned about because I hear it everywhere.

I don't want to change the place I move to, I just want some elbow room, to talk to my neighbors in english, join a church, ride my quad without a 2.5 hour drive to the approved area, maybe have a horse again, and afford to live in a descent house. Too much to ask?
Yes, sounds like it would be.But at least you are "honest" about it!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 AM

67 posts, read 246,915 times
Quote:
How in the heck did you get one of those? I have both the AZ and UT CCW but California is out of the question. I don't know anyone other than cops who have them.
There are two ways to get one, show a need or know somebody high up in the Sheriff’s department. I had both of those bases covered.

I owned 5 restaurants in CA and had been personally robbed at gun point before. The sums of money that we dealt with and the robbery history would have been a very strong case for a business owner to get one.
However I also was the training officer for San Bernardino Mountain Search and Rescue for numerous years, we were citizen volunteers for the San Bernardino Sheriff and because I was a training officer and set up some of their programs I got to know many of the higher up’s in the department. It was simply a matter of asking and having my form hand-walked into the Sheriff to sign it. (Friends in high places )

But if you don’t have either one of those bases covered you are right, there is no way you can get one in California, they are just too strict.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
Quote:

I'm moving to california from here because I like it (parts). Let me break down the 'cali-hate' for you, though...

We in spokane (or anywhere small and 'tucked away') don't want MS-13 to feel comfortable in our city. We don't want 3 hours of gridlock, everywhere. We don't want parts of the city that police avoid, simply because they will be killed, no questions asked. We don't want a million different things, that you (as a california citizen) somehow represent. The idea is almost a subconscious one, but it basically goes: If too many californians move here, they will bring all the problems of california with them!

Of course you sound like a totally cool guy, and I'd love for you to move here. But still. Don't invite your friends, and lock the door on your way in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area