Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 38,062 times

Advertisements

Since when do we have a "North Hill" neighborhood in Spokane? I've lived here my entire life and suddenly I wake up one morning and I'm seeing references to a "North Hill" all over (as opposed to the "Northside").

Did they rename Garland or something (gawd that would be tragic since Garland was always it's own special little place with its own character & history - talk about revisionism if that were the case), or rename one of the other original *real* neighborhoods? Or is it one of the many new dev'ts up past the Nine Mile/T&C or Wandermere areas?

Of course this might be the same marketing thing like with renaming us from our historic 100+yr old regional name "Inland Empire" to the bland and geographic-based "Inland NW" so some relatively new community in CA could just take our name. Change and progress can be good, but not when it tinkers with or erases our place names and history (assuming that's the case)

Thanks for helping keep up with the changing times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 05:43 PM

42 posts, read 213,156 times
Maybe they're referring to Five Mile Prairie? I've never heard of the "North Hill". I live near Wandermere and we're definitely not on a hill. Must be Five Mile.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
According to Spokane's city website, "North Hill" is the area bounded by:

W Francis Ave on the north
N Division St on the east
W Cora Ave/W Courtland Ave on the south
N Ash St on the west

Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Back in the 1960s and at least until the mid 1970s that area referenced by David Aguilar was occasionally called "the north hill". I had friends at North Central HS who at times would call their neighborhood that...usually in some sarcastic reference to south hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area