Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's the point that she was making, I think. There are a lot of better parts of Spokane, and very few bad ones. And the bad ones are well-known to anyone who lives there:

1. the west central neighborhood, Broadway, Dean, etc., past the Public Safety building and the courthouse

2. parts of the lower southwest side, west of Maple

3. parts of Hillyard / Minnehaha

4. the neighborhoods just east of Gonzaga and north of Mission park

5. just south of the freeway between Altamont and Freya
My take is that the bad areas are so bad that they unfairly drag down the whole town's reputation, and if one just stays away from those areas, life seems much better.

I just recalled reading an unusual early '90s book by David Eddings called "The Losers." I knew it was set in the PNW, but couldn't remember whether it was Portland or Spokane. So, I looked it up, and according to this review: "The setting is modern day (when it was written) small-town USA, specifically the grim small city of Spokane, Washington."

I guess the semantics of "grim" could be debated endlessly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
My take is that the bad areas are so bad that they unfairly drag down the whole town's reputation, and if one just stays away from those areas, life seems much better.

I just recalled reading an unusual early '90s book by David Eddings called "The Losers." I knew it was set in the PNW, but couldn't remember whether it was Portland or Spokane. So, I looked it up, and according to this review: "The setting is modern day (when it was written) small-town USA, specifically the grim small city of Spokane, Washington."

I agree that crime, as related to people's experiences, can be debated endlessly. Almost any city in this country (and probably in any country) has areas in which there are all-encompassing stories of how the residents have to walk around half-stooped to avoid the bullets flying overhead. And then there are the areas of the same city in which the residents have no knowledge of crimes occurring in other areas of that city, as they drive amongst the gated estates.

Heck, even the "small city" comment is relative. To my hometown of about 800 people, the 300K population of Spokane is no "small city".

Last edited by PS90; 07-30-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:

Man, you need to expand your reading horizons! Eddings is a sci-fi fantasy guy, anyway, isn't he?

You want Spokane portrayals in fiction?

Go with Spokane native Terry Davis' famous "Vision Quest", or the remarkable film based on Spokane native (and Native American) Sherman Alexie's book, "Smoke Signals".

Here's a closing scene form that film, which was shot on location in Spokane....

Smoke Signals (12/12) Movie CLIP - To Forgive Our Fathers (1998) HD - YouTube

Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
That's the point that she was making, I think. There are a lot of better parts of Spokane, and very few bad ones. And the bad ones are well-known to anyone who lives there:

1. the west central neighborhood, Broadway, Dean, etc., past the Public Safety building and the courthouse

2. parts of the lower southwest side, west of Maple

3. parts of Hillyard / Minnehaha

4. the neighborhoods just east of Gonzaga and north of Mission park

5. just south of the freeway between Altamont and Freya
This just in: here's help for number 5......

Officials to ban fortified beer in East Central - Spokesman.com - Aug. 1, 2012

Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times
Quote:
Man, you need to expand your reading horizons! Eddings is a sci-fi fantasy guy, anyway, isn't he?

You want Spokane portrayals in fiction?

Go with Spokane native Terry Davis' famous "Vision Quest", or the remarkable film based on Spokane native (and Native American) Sherman Alexie's book, "Smoke Signals".

Here's a closing scene form that film, which was shot on location in Spokane....

Smoke Signals (12/12) Movie CLIP - To Forgive Our Fathers (1998) HD - YouTube
That's the only Eddings book I've read (for college) but it was largely realistic, with allegories. Apparently it was written in the 70s but published in the 90s, if that time-frame matters for Spokane.

I saw VQ years ago, without knowing it was Spokane. Might be worth a new look. Smoke Signals looks interesting. I also saw "Benny and Joon" which happened to have locations near an area I had checked out, but it didn't really give an overview of the city. I guess no film is really a way to learn a city. They often shoot in "looks like" locations with the cities as mere backdrops to the story.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
That's the only Eddings book I've read (for college) but it was largely realistic, with allegories. Apparently it was written in the 70s but published in the 90s, if that time-frame matters for Spokane.

I saw VQ years ago, without knowing it was Spokane. Might be worth a new look. Smoke Signals looks interesting. I also saw "Benny and Joon" which happened to have locations near an area I had checked out, but it didn't really give an overview of the city. I guess no film is really a way to learn a city. They often shoot in "looks like" locations with the cities as mere backdrops to the story.
The Smoke Signals soundtrack is especially intriguing, featuring Ulali and Jim Boyd.

Amazon.com: Smoke Signals: Music From The Miramax Motion Picture: B. C. Smith: Music

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
I didn't know about Smoke Signals. I love Sherman Alexie's books.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I didn't know about Smoke Signals. I love Sherman Alexie's books.
I met Alexie once on a flight from Los Angeles to Spokane. Interesting guy.

I like a lot of his writing. But that poem that's on the plaque overlooking the Falls? Bitter. And bad.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
My Son lives in Portland...He moved there from Denver a few years ago. He loves it..So many interesting places, interesting people...laid back but artsy and cultured. I would suggest Portland.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM

There is no doubt that Portland is hipper and sexier than Spokane, especially for younger people. But the folks in Portland know how wonderful they are, and are not afraid to express their wonderfulness. At length. And that kind of thing can become wearisome.

By way of contrast, Spokane people who happen to encounter hip and sexy kindred spirits are honestly grateful for their good fortune, since such encounters are rarer and thus more special.

I rag on Spokane a lot on this Forum, having grown up on the East coast and educated at an Ivy League university, but I have never met nicer people in my life. That counts for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area