Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I dunno, do you see a American male, someone who plays with our flag representing them winning a major anytime soon? I have a really hard time seeing that. I hope I am wrong, but time will tell.
Sock is our best shot if he can get it together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Sock is our best shot if he can get it together.
you can say that about a lot of players on both tours

Last edited by BucFan; 03-22-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Wow, I’ve been busy with life and last time I was on top of the tour, Djoker and Murray were dominating and ... wow, they’ve fallen so far. Had to look up Murray’s situation and ranking ... in the 40s because of a hip problem/surgery and he’s talking about a comeback in Wimbledon 18? As I’ve heard and read, isn’t hip surgeries a major issue even if “recovered”? It’s not like DelPotro’s wrist here... and that took him some time to get back.

What happened to Djoker? He’s not my favorite player and he was crushing the court much to my annoyance but still ... to have fallen from the top 5 past the top 20? Yikes.

Oh Father Time ...

Old 06-07-2018, 01:55 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Wow, I’ve been busy with life and last time I was on top of the tour, Djoker and Murray were dominating and ... wow, they’ve fallen so far. Had to look up Murray’s situation and ranking ... in the 40s because of a hip problem/surgery and he’s talking about a comeback in Wimbledon 18? As I’ve heard and read, isn’t hip surgeries a major issue even if “recovered”? It’s not like DelPotro’s wrist here... and that took him some time to get back.

What happened to Djoker? He’s not my favorite player and he was crushing the court much to my annoyance but still ... to have fallen from the top 5 past the top 20? Yikes.

Oh Father Time ...
Djoker has declined unfortunately, "father time" as you put it, and an elbow injury has altered his service motion - so it is no longer as effective. His stamina is taking a while to come back as well, but I doubt he will ever be the same dominant player he was - probably just a Top 20 player to a fringe Top 10 player if he improves.
Murray has some serious injury issues as well, and may well be done as a tennis player unfortunately.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Djoker has declined unfortunately, "father time" as you put it, and an elbow injury has altered his service motion - so it is no longer as effective. His stamina is taking a while to come back as well, but I doubt he will ever be the same dominant player he was - probably just a Top 20 player to a fringe Top 10 player if he improves.
Murray has some serious injury issues as well, and may well be done as a tennis player unfortunately.
Is the elbow injury legitimate? I’ve read some doubtful concerns over that. Maybe he felt undefeated for so long he stop caring about the sport. It happens, complacency.

Despite all that, men’s tennis doesn’t seem to be boiling anymore, sizzled over and the fire is out.

Thoughts?

Fed/Nadal aren’t even in their prime anymore and are still dominating. Is this because of their extraordinary talents or is it because other talents are so weak that their B-game can still dominate?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:26 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Congratulations to Rafael Nadal, winning his 11th French Open singles title (about 30 minutes ago) .

Old 06-10-2018, 05:41 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Is the elbow injury legitimate? I’ve read some doubtful concerns over that. Maybe he felt undefeated for so long he stop caring about the sport. It happens, complacency.

Despite all that, men’s tennis doesn’t seem to be boiling anymore, sizzled over and the fire is out.

Thoughts?

Fed/Nadal aren’t even in their prime anymore and are still dominating. Is this because of their extraordinary talents or is it because other talents are so weak that their B-game can still dominate?
They are still at the top, while Novak has fallen off the cliff it seems.
In fact, Nadal has just kept the Number 1 by winning RG, and Federer could take it back almost immediately, by winning or making the final at Stuttgart this week on grass.
This toing-and-froing could go on for a while.
Nole has to get his serve back in order to have a chance, and keep working at his stamina and fitness.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:00 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
I mean, Federer is the best to ever play the game and Nadal is also way up there. So yeah, they are just that good, IMO.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
They are still at the top, while Novak has fallen off the cliff it seems.
In fact, Nadal has just kept the Number 1 by winning RG, and Federer could take it back almost immediately, by winning or making the final at Stuttgart this week on grass.
This toing-and-froing could go on for a while.
Nole has to get his serve back in order to have a chance, and keep working at his stamina and fitness.
With his win at RG, Nadal also became the third male tennis pro, after Roger and Novak, to pass $100 million USD in career prize money/tournament earnings.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM

10,764 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Nadal has set himself up for many years of dominance over Thiem.
Thiem faces a psychological barrier at Roland Garros to even take a set from Nadal, as they've now met 3 times at Roland Garros without Thiem winning a set.

Federer's draw at Stuttgart:
R1 = Bye
R2 = M. Zverev or Qualifier
QF = Shapovalov or Qualifier or Millman or Pella
SF = Kyrgios or Marterer or Gojowczyk or Simon or Qualifier or Troicki or F.Lopez
F = Raonic or Basic or Fucsovics or Qualifier or Paire or Fritz or Berdych or Kohlschreiber or Istomin or F.Mayer or Maden or Molleker or Struff or Pouille
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports