Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more likely to happen first for DFW sports?
A 2nd NFL team? 5 8.20%
A 2nd NBA team in Dallas? 1 1.64%
A 2nd NBA team in Fort Worth or Arlington? 8 13.11%
A 2nd Major League Baseball club near downtown Dallas? 4 6.56%
A 2nd NHL team ANYWHERE in the Metroplex? 1 1.64%
A 2nd MLS team (in Fort Worth)? 2 3.28%
A comeback for Arena Football in either city? (Both Dallas and Ft. Worth had AFL teams at least once) 13 21.31%
A WNBA team anywhere in the Metroplex? 27 44.26%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Let's not get into this, ok...?

It's "DFW". Not just Dallas.
Nothing to get into. The only person worried about it is you. I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Nothing to get into. The only person worried about it is you. I don't care.
Then why post anything in a thread about the ENTIRE Metroplex? You know Dallas isn't the only major city in this area, which is why the so called "Dallas Area" is as big as it is.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
Yeah I can't imagine a second team regardless of league.

Also, if you're using relevance then Dallas would not be the name you would give the area (especially in a sports thread). In order of sports relevance, Arlington would be number one then Dallas. If all you care about is football and no other sports (e.g., many Texans), Ft Worth would easily jump Dallas because of TCU. All Dallas has is SMU, and the NCAA insured they would never be relevant again a few decades ago.
Seriously? I guess New York doesn't have a football team? Or Washington. I guess the only team that matters in Miami are the Heat since they actually play in Miami.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM

256 posts, read 320,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seriously? I guess New York doesn't have a football team? Or Washington. I guess the only team that matters in Miami are the Heat since they actually play in Miami.
Using the logic of Toxic Toast, that is exactly correct. Dallas is the most relevant city in his opinion. Thus, it's not DFW, it's Dallas. Most regions have teams that claim a city name, but are not located in that city (Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills; San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara; NY Giants play in Jersey). I'm not saying it's good logic, but it's the logic that TT is using. My brother-in-law could say that he loves the Santa Clara sports scene because the Niners are the most important team in the area (in his opinion).

Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
Using the logic of Toxic Toast, that is exactly correct. Dallas is the most relevant city in his opinion. Thus, it's not DFW, it's Dallas. Most regions have teams that claim a city name, but are not located in that city (Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills; San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara; NY Giants play in Jersey). I'm not saying it's good logic, but it's the logic that TT is using. My brother-in-law could say that he loves the Santa Clara sports scene because the Niners are the most important team in the area (in his opinion).
To be clear, I am really just needling FW. The little brother syndrome amuses me.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM

I kind of assumed as much. I probably should have dropped my concern when I moved to California four years ago. I guess it never really leaves you.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
To be clear, I am really just needling FW. The little brother syndrome amuses me.
What you call "little brother syndrome" is actually correcting people who just don't get it...

Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What you call "little brother syndrome" is actually correcting people who just don't get it...
Dallas Mavericks owner should create a 2nd NBA team and call them the Dallas Texans

Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks owner should create a 2nd NBA team and call them the Dallas Texans
Wouldn't go over well with the other side of the Metroplex

Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 PM

They would have to send a pretty heavy check to Kansas City. I'm pretty sure Lamar Hunt still owns the name Dallas Texans. I remember it being a hurdle the Houston Texans had to get over before they could adopt the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports