Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 09:05 PM

389 posts, read 400,093 times

Advertisements

I am a sports fan. I understand the toll of emotions one may endure during a particular season. That is the nature of sports.

I for one have had enough of front runner fans. People who will not touch a remote during the regular season, but get all excited during the finals or championship games. It is similar to politics like people who just pay attention to the election when it’s over, yet don’t watch the primary 6 months before, the many debates, and rally. They don’t realize the time, effort, and logistics needed for the end result.

This applies to sports as well. I know some people who only watch the World Series or NBA finals and just cheer for the better team. I don’t jump on bandwagons.

How do you feel about this? I know tomorrow night watching the game some of my family members who are not sports enthusiasts will get excited to watch the championship game, but they don’t understand what it took to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 10:38 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I am a sports fan. I understand the toll of emotions one may endure during a particular season. That is the nature of sports.

I for one have had enough of front runner fans. People who will not touch a remote during the regular season, but get all excited during the finals or championship games. It is similar to politics like people who just pay attention to the election when it’s over, yet don’t watch the primary 6 months before, the many debates, and rally. They don’t realize the time, effort, and logistics needed for the end result.

This applies to sports as well. I know some people who only watch the World Series or NBA finals and just cheer for the better team. I don’t jump on bandwagons.

How do you feel about this? I know tomorrow night watching the game some of my family members who are not sports enthusiasts will get excited to watch the championship game, but they don’t understand what it took to get there.
I don’t have a problem with it. Especially for the Super Bowl, which to me is more an entertainment event than a sporting event. Its an excuse for parties and water cooler discussions over which commercials are best. There are also a lot of people who play Super Bowl squares which don’t require any sports knowledge. To pretend the Super Bowl is for sports purists is a bit absurd.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 3,841 times
I'm not really a fan of fair weather fans, which tend to be for teams that are front runners. I don't care for bandwagon fans because I suffer with my team and watch even if they're horrible. The last two Super Bowls I've watched with Chiefs "fans" who couldn't name anyone on the team except maybe the QB. Ultimately, it's fine to have a casual rooting interest in a game, but you shouldn't refer to yourself as a fan if that's the case.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:36 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.... Like what it takes for a professional athlete/team to get to a championship level? Or just what it took over that season to get to the playoffs?

In either case - I don't see it as an issue as many simply find the playoffs more exciting. I'm that way with a lot of professional sports - NHL, MLB, etc. I'll start paying attention to the playoffs. Earlier if my team is making a run. I'm in front of the TV every weekend for the NFL though.

All that said - I do find it annoying when people that don't typically follow these sports start talking like they do. I'm not going to start debating anyone on whether some player is having a great season or not when I've not really followed the season. But for some reason, there are folks that do.

As an avid golfer and someone that follows the tour, this sort of got to me when Tiger was in his prime. I had people that can't tell you the difference between loft and bounce - but wanted to go into detail about Tigers domination. It got to the point where I became a closet-Tiger fan. I was a fan, but told everyone I wasn't.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:55 PM

389 posts, read 400,093 times
I mean people who don’t watch the regular season but only pay attention to the end don’t understand the full value of what it took to get there. You have a group of people who religiously watch a specific team. Day in day out, doing research on statistics, watch interviews; know the roster from front and back. Those are true fans.

Those people who only watch the end don’t full realize the struggle and commitment a whole season takes. They just flip on the TV in the playoffs and figure it was a walk in the park to get there. I mean what it took over that season to get to the end.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:10 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,196 times
Quote:
I mean people who don’t watch the regular season but only pay attention to the end don’t understand the full value of what it took to get there. You have a group of people who religiously watch a specific team. Day in day out, doing research on statistics, watch interviews; know the roster from front and back. Those are true fans.

Those people who only watch the end don’t full realize the struggle and commitment a whole season takes. They just flip on the TV in the playoffs and figure it was a walk in the park to get there. I mean what it took over that season to get to the end.
I get that. I've been a Browns fan all my life. It's been misery. I've heard all of the jokes and so forth. All of a sudden we are in playoffs this year (finally) and the same people who never watched, told me how much of a waste it is to watch them, and blah blah blah, are now all of a sudden invested in the game acting like this is life and death for them. Uh...what? Where were you the past 20 years when they returned to the NFL? Oh yeah, that's right, telling me how dumb I am for being a fan of that team and not watching every Sunday.

If you couldn't be a fan during the 1-15 season, and then the following 0-16 season, then you can't be a fan now. I mean, you can, but you look stupid lol.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:01 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:

Those people who only watch the end don’t full realize the struggle and commitment a whole season takes
. They just flip on the TV in the playoffs and figure it was a walk in the park to get there. I mean what it took over that season to get to the end.
Or... they don't care? I mean, does it really matter? Seems like you're stressing yourself out or getting annoyed for no real reason? Sure, If they come up to you and start telling you things like they've been there the whole time... I get it. But a lot of people also just want to see a good game. Or some will root for a team because of some kind of history (it was their parent/grand parent's team, etc.). I don't think you need to know every stat to be a fan.

Of course, people will always apply labels on the "level" of fan you are. But there's nothing wrong with being a "casual" fan... is there? I've been following the Washington Football Team for over 40 years. But really, I can't tell you any stats outside of how may Super bowls they won. While my friend can probably rattle off every single QB that's started for them during the Super Bowl era. Sure, I'm not as a knowledgable fan as he is... and if someone finds that annoying... well.. that's really their problem, not mine.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:05 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
If I watch a sport where I have no idea what the standings are, I go with the team from the place I like more.

If I do have some inkling for the standings...I go with the team from the place I like more.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:16 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
When I was younger it used to bother me, now I think it's really nothing to get upset about. I mean what's the harm?

At the end of the day, sure, when 'their team' wins they'll cheer and party and get drunk, brag about it etc. but the week after they'll be on some other bandwagon. It's not a biggie for them. If you're a hardcore fan who's been there through all the highs and lows, who's tasted tears after bitter defeats and all that, then victory will be 1000 x more special for you. It will actually feel like an event in your life. For them it's fun and games, for you it's a defining thing. But then so is your loyalty to the team when they're doing poorly. It becomes a part of your identity. So if you think the bandwagon fans are 'cheating' then if anything they are really just cheating themselves out of that experience.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:08 PM

48 posts, read 74,933 times
Quote:

You mean like those "lifelong" Buccaneers fans- and by lifetime, I mean since July 2020, or those long suffering (since 2018) Laker fans? I just laugh at them. I figure my cat knows more about sports than those types of fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports