Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

Since no one has spoken for Dallas-Fort Worth yet, I'll give it a try based on my expierences visiting family there every year.

1. Dallas Cowboys- Enough said, heck they probably are the most popular pro team in many Texas towns.

2. College sports(mostly football)- Lots of Longhorns/Sooners fans here, you see their logos on cars. I imagine if Texas did not issue front plates on cars you'd see Horns/Sooners plates. Texas A&M has a good fan base here too. Even at a Mavericks game that I went to in December, I saw plenty of people sporting Horns and Aggies gear. They even broadcasted a Horns basketball game on the scoreboard before the Mavs game began. There are some Texas Tech fans, but they are highly outnumbered by Texas/OU. Same with A&M but less than TT. It seems most TCU fans live in Fort Worth. SMU and North Texas have a few fans scattered here and there along with other schools such as OK ST. I have never seen anyone sporting Baylor gear nor have I seen any Baylor merchandise being sold in stores.

3. Stars/Mavericks- About even for both in terms of fans although it seems the Stars have a more passionate fanbase.

4. Texas Rangers- Don't hear nor see a lot of support for these guys when I visit in the summer. It seems once Cowboys training camp starts in July all the attention goes to them. They (the rangers) are having a pretty good season so far. It'll be interesting to see if support for them gets better if they can put continue winning.

5. High School football- Might even rank higher than the Rangers.

6. FC Dallas- Family lives near where they play, and a neighbor is a huge fan of them, but what I've heard they lost a lot of fans moving to Frisco from the Cotton Bowl stadium.

7. NASCAR- There's a track near Fort Worth, but little interest it seems.

There are also some minor league teams in the area, support comes usually from the people who live close to where they play.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-02-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 06:01 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
And I'll do one for Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill too.

1. College sports- Duke, NCSU, and UNC all reside in the area, they've all made footprints one way or another in terms of support and interest. Nothing will surpass them.

2. Carolina Hurricanes- The one and only Major-league franchise in the area, and the only one in the State that has won a championship. Probably the one team that most Duke, State, and UNC fans can root for together.

3. Baseball- The Durham Bulls made a name for themselves in "Bull Durham". There's also the Carolina Mudcats but they play way out in Zubulon and don't get the attention the Bulls get. For MLB, aside from the transplants, the Braves and Orioles seem to capture most of the residents, Brian Roberts is from Durham and the Bulls were a Single-A farm team for the Braves during their dominance in the 90's before the Bulls became a AAA team, many of their players from that era such as Chipper Jones at one point were on the Bulls roster. I've never seen a Nationals fan here.

4. NFL- There are Panthers fans here but most of the long time residents still cheer for the Redskins. The Falcons have a few fans apparently since one of the local radio stations became an affilate of theirs recently. Then there are those who follow the former college stars.

5. Soccer- Carolina Railhawks.

6. NBA- There was some support for the Hornets when they were in Charlotte but when they moved no one seemed to care. Not much interest in the Bobcats. College Ball is king here.

7. NASCAR- Very little interest. Especially compared to Charlotte and rural areas.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-02-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,332 times
Earlier, I forgot to mention for Charleston, NASCAR would probably be around 5 or 6 here too. It's popular, with Darlington 2 hours away, but it's not like what it was even 10 years ago.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Since no one has spoken for Dallas-Fort Worth yet, I'll give it a try based on my expierences visiting family there every year.

1. Dallas Cowboys- Enough said, heck they probably are the most popular pro team in many Texas towns.

2. College sports(mostly football)- Lots of Longhorns/Sooners fans here, you see their logos on cars. I imagine if Texas did not issue front plates on cars you'd see Horns/Sooners plates. Texas A&M has a good fan base here too. Even at a Mavericks game that I went to in December, I saw plenty of people sporting Horns and Aggies gear. They even broadcasted a Horns basketball game on the scoreboard before the Mavs game began. There are some Texas Tech fans, but they are highly outnumbered by Texas/OU. Same with A&M but less than TT. It seems most TCU fans live in Fort Worth. SMU and North Texas have a few fans scattered here and there along with other schools such as OK ST. I have never seen anyone sporting Baylor gear nor have I seen any Baylor merchandise being sold in stores.

3. Stars/Mavericks- About even for both in terms of fans although it seems the Stars have a more passionate fanbase.

4. Texas Rangers- Don't hear nor see a lot of support for these guys when I visit in the summer. It seems once Cowboys training camp starts in July all the attention goes to them. They (the rangers) are having a pretty good season so far. It'll be interesting to see if support for them gets better if they can put continue winning.

5. High School football- Might even rank higher than the Rangers.

6. FC Dallas- Family lives near where they play, and a neighbor is a huge fan of them, but what I've heard they lost a lot of fans moving to Frisco from the Cotton Bowl stadium.

7. NASCAR- There's a track near Fort Worth, but little interest it seems.

There are also some minor league teams in the area, support comes usually from the people who live close to where they play.
As a native Dallasite, I'll agree with this ranking. I will say that, as the Stars keep going without playoff appearances, they are losing a fair bit of fair-weather-fandom, which is a shame, cause I love me some Stars.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM

101 posts, read 210,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
No Illini love in the Windy City? Not even for basketball?
There are far more Illini fans than any other team for football, and most DEFINITELY basketball. However, the football fans are very fairweather. So, when UI is bad, you'll hear more about Notre Dame. However, when they made the Rose Bowl in 2007, the town lit up Orange and Blue. Basketball is pretty well supported year in and year out, but in a year like 2005, when UI was in the Final Four, the town quite frankly went nuts for the Illini. The buildings spelled "GO ILLINI" with the lights and orange and blue lights were hung downtown.

NOTHING like the Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Hawks, etc. when they win, but still clearly more support for UI than any other college team.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
Without a doubt for San Antonio-Austin it's the San Antonio Spurs. Also the Texas Longhorns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports