Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM

311 posts, read 1,377,086 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think is the most boring olympic sport? For me it is a tie between one in the winter and one in the summer.

In the winter olympics it has to be curling. Watching men brushing the ice with a broom in front of an oversized hockey puck is one of the silliest things I have seen. Knowing this is on the schedule does not inspire me to rush home from work.

In the summer olympics it is skateboarding. How did this get into the olympics anyway? It just seems too juvenile and not on par with something like running, swimming or gymnastics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,858 times
You know I knew a guy very well who was a curler in the Olympic trials several years back. It was the first I knew of curling: I automatically assumed he was referencing a weightlifting activity! They televise it in Canada however and when I watched it enough at a few bars, I grew to sort of like it. I always liked shuffleboard on the rare occasion I come across it at a tavern. It sort of is the same thing, but with brooms.
No doubt my choice would be synchronized swimming for either olympics. Quickly catching up is basketball: and I love basketball. But the pro game stinks and on an international stage, we have become a disgrace w/ our lack of fundamentals and Mickey Mouse style game the NBA has become.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:18 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,981 times
The Shot-Put...booooooooorrrrrrrring.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
My least fave is probably archery

Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
The Shot-Put...booooooooorrrrrrrring.
Ahh, but did you see the shot competition in Athens?

WOW!! An Olympic event held at Olympus, the site of the original games. The ghosts of ancient Greece were everywhere and more than a few athletes were reduced to tears just talking about what it was like to have the honor of competing on the same field as their Olympic forebearers. So many were so nervous and overwhelmed that I'm not sure holding an event there was such a good idea, but it was truly one of the great moments in sports history.

As for curling, well, I'm not sure that any activity where you can smoke and participate at the same time qualifies as a sport.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
Synchronized swimming. Is that even a sport??? Okay, well, I guess it takes a certain amount of talent, but it just looks so silly!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,186 times
This is a trick question right? Because really, who watches any Olympics? Its all boring.

Right?
=D

I could probably get through watching womens something

Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Synchronized swimming. Is that even a sport??? Okay, well, I guess it takes a certain amount of talent, but it just looks so silly!!!
Talk to the other athletes sometime. Synchronized swimming is one of the most difficult sports there is. They generally have the best cardiovascular systems of any athletes. Like water polo players, they never touch the bottom of the pool to do those launches out of the water. It's all done with pure muscle. This is also why most are quite young. To do what they do requires an absurdly high level of fitness. They just make it look easy... and yes, I think it looks a bit silly too.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:25 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,156,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
In the summer olympics it is skateboarding. How did this get into the olympics anyway? It just seems too juvenile and not on par with something like running, swimming or gymnastics.
Skateboarding is not an official sport in the Olympics. They're trying to make it official in 2012 but something else would have to be eliminated before adding this.

Skateboarding in the Olympics

Archery would be the winner in my mind for most boring, at least in the summer.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:00 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,659 times
I love the Olympics although we suck (Uk)

curling ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz so boring, im not really into the winter olympics i prefer the summer olympics when volleyball is on with the women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports