Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
I too smoke. I don't smoke in my house or around other people who don't smoke. I never smoke around kids or in my car when I have passengers with me.

I'm very aware of other people around me and consider their rights too. I just hate that those of us who do smoke are looked at as if we are commiting a crime. I wish I never started 25 years ago.
25 yrs ago there wasn't as much information made available I think as there is now for the younger crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,519 times
The pilgrims came to america to escape outlandish laws from the church. This is supposed to be our FREE COUNTRY! There is no doubt in anybody's mind that religious views are behind these laws. They are corrupting our government from the White House down to the government of cities. Our world is NOT HEAVEN.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:37 PM

141 posts, read 426,363 times
Thank God "Our world is NOT HEAVEN"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no problem with people wanting to smoke, I just have a problem with poorly circulated buildings where your desire to smoke causes me or my child to cough because we are breathing it in.

There are inventors today coming up with things like the sham-wow, and a vacuum cleaner that does not need a bag. Someone needs to come up with circulation system that works well enough to keep the smoking area of a building smoke free from the rest of the building. IF that EVER happened you MIGHT see some of these NO SMOKING laws vanish.

In all honesty I would bet that a lot of smokers wish that someone would come up with a cigarette that was smokeless. Because they love the nicotine affect but hate the smoke themselves.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephkp View Post
Thank God "Our world is NOT HEAVEN"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no problem with people wanting to smoke, I just have a problem with poorly circulated buildings where your desire to smoke causes me or my child to cough because we are breathing it in.

There are inventors today coming up with things like the sham-wow, and a vacuum cleaner that does not need a bag. Someone needs to come up with circulation system that works well enough to keep the smoking area of a building smoke free from the rest of the building. IF that EVER happened you MIGHT see some of these NO SMOKING laws vanish.

In all honesty I would bet that a lot of smokers wish that someone would come up with a cigarette that was smokeless. Because they love the nicotine affect but hate the smoke themselves.
They have.

And the stupidity of Springfield has banned SMOKELESS e-cigarettes as well. They have no argument for it, of course, other than just being morons.

Lots of places are going to go out of business or relocate out of Greene County.

When the city loses a large portion of their tax base, perhaps they will rethink this insanity.

20yrsinBranson
non-smoker for Smokers's rights.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Wow, I'm not a smoker but my sig. other is.
Hard to believe they banned the vapor cigs.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:10 AM

86 posts, read 167,229 times
I have only lived here for 5 months and did not know that Springfield banned Smokeless E-Cigarettes. I apologize if I misspoke.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
They have.

And the stupidity of Springfield has banned SMOKELESS e-cigarettes as well. They have no argument for it, of course, other than just being morons.

Lots of places are going to go out of business or relocate out of Greene County.

When the city loses a large portion of their tax base, perhaps they will rethink this insanity.

20yrsinBranson
non-smoker for Smokers's rights.
Yelp I know of Business that have left.Come On! You go into a Bar you expect Smoke,just as there is some things you expect in a Strip Bar.

No I don't Smoke or have Sex.

brushrunner

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Rolla is a progressive town of just under 20,000 with many transplants from California and other foreign places who are working hard to make changes, including a 100 percent indoor smokefree ordinance that will be up for first reading at Monday night's city council meeting.

This ordinance will ban all smoking anywhere people work for pay indoors, including private clubs and lodges.

I don't smoke so it won't affect me; hence, I am apathetic.

If the newcomers turn to attempting to ban burning wood in my fireplace or using my charcoal grill, I am going to be fighting mad.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Rolla is a progressive town of just under 20,000 with many transplants from California and other foreign places who are working hard to make changes, including a 100 percent indoor smokefree ordinance that will be up for first reading at Monday night's city council meeting.

This ordinance will ban all smoking anywhere people work for pay indoors, including private clubs and lodges.

I don't smoke so it won't affect me; hence, I am apathetic.

If the newcomers turn to attempting to ban burning wood in my fireplace or using my charcoal grill, I am going to be fighting mad.
Banning smoking indoors is the first step. Private clubs and lodges is the second step. Next is banning things like you mentioned in and around private homes. The Califoreigners have already done that in many cities on government-declared, no-burn days; an' they ain't talkin' leaves, the burning of which is already against the law there.

Don't look now, OB, but they're after you!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Banning smoking indoors is the first step. Private clubs and lodges is the second step. Next is banning things like you mentioned in and around private homes. The Califoreigners have already done that in many cities on government-declared, no-burn days; an' they ain't talkin' leaves, the burning of which is already against the law there.

Don't look now, OB, but they're after you!
Curm,

I figure it's only a matter of time before some dadburn import/transplant/interloper will go to the city council and start complaining about the smoke from his neighbor's fireplace and/or grill. The silly people around here will jump on board and start the ball rolling to ban all use of wood or charcoal. The council will go along.

Here's my strategy:
1.) Make a complete turnaround and start encouraging rich out-fo-staters to move to Rolla. This will:
2.) Drive up the price of houses and land because these wealthy out-of-staters will pay any asking price. Driving up the prices of property will make it worthwhile for me to:
3.) Sell my money pit of a century-old house at a huge profit and
4.) Move way out in the sticks where I belong, where the local government will leave me alone, where I can burn my trash, grill my food and burn wood without fear of someone complaining and where I can live quietly on the money I make off the inflated sale of my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area