Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 PM

109 posts, read 245,904 times

Advertisements

Maybe consider University City (right next to Clayton) -- lots of young couples without children who like the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,975 times
Clayton is a great area - so you can't lose getting a place nearby. It has some urban feel, and a good suburban feel as well. In addition, without traffic, you're only 10-15 minutes from downtown. We live in a neighboring suburb, but Clayton is a favorite area for many in this area. This is also a good time to rent, and you should be able to find a town home in that area. My wife happens to be a real estate agent/broker and she just rented a townhome in that area to a professional athlete that just moved into town.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,975 times
Default Hey no pressure at all

My wife is a great agent for Prudential. We live in an adjacent community to Clayton so my wife is very familiar with the area. If you want some free, professional advice, she can tell you where to rent considering your lifestyle, where you'll be working and what your long-term plans might be. You can look her up on Facebook or LinkedIn, or her website annespenschied@prudentilalliance.com

I have accepted a new job in St. Louis. The office is located in the Clayton area. I will be starting in November.

I know very little about the St. Louis area. I am hoping the good people of this board can point me in the right direction. First a little about us and then what we'd love to find.

We're a young couple in the 26-31 age band. He's originally from Seattle and I'm originally from NYC but we've been living in New Jersey for a few years now and don't care for it. We don't have children nor do we plan on having any. I work in corporate america and he trains horses.
We enjoy various things - from hiking/camping to lounging at a cool bar/restaurant.

We would be looking to rent a place at first. Preferably a townhome with a bit of green space because we have two dogs. Our budget is flexible because I'm not sure what the rental market is like out there - my experience is limited to NY and that's usually not the greatest point of referene.

We'd love to live in an area that has a bit more of a suburban feel but isn't so far out there that we can't enjoy what the city has to offer. We'd also really like to find an area with other youngish couples without children.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you![/quote]

Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
I think the Maryland Heights/Creve Coeur area is a good starting point. It's fairly new, a good amount of restaurants and things to do and you're still close to Clayton and the city.

Other good options are Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Glendale, Brentwood, and Richmond Heights. Basically if you look at a map of the area look in the area west of Forest Park, east of I-270, north of I-44 (or a mile or two south as well) and south of Dorsett.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM

183 posts, read 634,247 times
I agree with Creve Coeur if you want more of a suburban feel. Anything in Mid County (just outside the city) is going to be more urban than suburban (especially around the 64/170 interchange).

Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 PM

263 posts, read 530,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie7597 View Post
I have accepted a new job in St. Louis. The office is located in the Clayton area. I will be starting in November.

I know very little about the St. Louis area. I am hoping the good people of this board can point me in the right direction. First a little about us and then what we'd love to find.

We're a young couple in the 26-31 age band. He's originally from Seattle and I'm originally from NYC but we've been living in New Jersey for a few years now and don't care for it. We don't have children nor do we plan on having any. I work in corporate america and he trains horses.
We enjoy various things - from hiking/camping to lounging at a cool bar/restaurant.

We would be looking to rent a place at first. Preferably a townhome with a bit of green space because we have two dogs. Our budget is flexible because I'm not sure what the rental market is like out there - my experience is limited to NY and that's usually not the greatest point of referene.

We'd love to live in an area that has a bit more of a suburban feel but isn't so far out there that we can't enjoy what the city has to offer. We'd also really like to find an area with other youngish couples without children.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You mention wanting a suburban feel but also mention your interest in townhomes. When I think of suburban feel in the St. Louis area, I think of McMansions in West County. If you're really looking for a suburban feel, go for Chesterfield, Ballwin, places like that.

If you're looking for a place with a bit of space but still close to the amenities of the city, look at Webster, Kirkwood, Clayton, or U City. The houses are a bit smaller and you won't have as much space, but these neighborhoods offer a lot more than a Chesterfield in my opinion.

Youngish couples without children can be found throughout the metro area. The couples out in the suburbs (generalizing here) are typically going to get married relatively early and have kids. If you're looking for young couples that are childless and intend to stay that way, you'd do best in the city. Tower Grove South or Central West End would be my recommendations.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The National Equestrian Center is located in Wentzville. And there is a lot of green space in the area including a lot of dog parks

I would seriously rent first. St. Louis is not for everyone. You may love it or you may hate it.
Hee hee... I knew I'd find Dinsy on a thread titled 'NJ to St. Louis - requesting advice.' Dins sort of reminds me of a left-wing Archie Bunker (I mean, his left-wingedness is not as relevant/obvious as his Archie Bunker-ness; it's just that AB was famously conservative, while I've seen DP declare himself a progressive at least once). At this point I associate DinsdalePiranha with St. Louis as much as I do the Gateway Arch. And the idea of C-D's DP having an English accent (like the original, Monty Python DP) is oddly incongruous, somehow. But anyway, he's so notorious at this point that he's gotta stay (if he's still there, that is - I honestly have no idea if he is). I'm thinking radio show or something like that. I dunno if C-D reputation/vibe translates very well to radio, but it's worth a shot.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

23 posts, read 34,069 times
To keep thread count down, I am adding on to this thread rather than starting a new one (which I'll do if it doesn't stimulate interest).

My wife and I are also looking at moving to St. Louis from NJ. We are 40 years old and have one very young son (2 weeks old), so we aren't into schools yet, but will be in a few years.

We would like to live somewhere relatively urban (i.e., close to downtown, where I'd work). Our budget for a house would be between $300k - $500k, so fairly flexible about area.

For housing, these areas catch our eye: Lafayette Park, CWE, Tower Grove South, Compton Heights, University City, Clayton and similarly-situated places. We'd like somewhere that's safe, but has some amenities we could walk to -- a few restaurants, shops, etc. -- and that might have street life.

For schooling, we'd prefer public, be it somewhere with tony public schools (i.e., Clayton) or somewhere we have to navigate the charter or magnet system.

For life, we don't know a soul in St. Louis, so wouldn't mind an area that we could meet similarly situated folks, be it through mommy groups or extra-curricular activities.

Any thoughts on the above, including the areas I've highlighted?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Every place you listed above would be fantastic, although I'm unfamiliar with the school systems. Clayton is likely the only area where budget would be an issue.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,484 times
Why don't you try downtown? Safe with plenty of things going on. There are a lot of lofts on Washington and some other in the downtown area worth looking at. There is also a growing number of families that live down here. I can post a few links if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis