Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times

Advertisements

Actually, that scene in Chevy Chase's "Vacation" film was depicting the blight of East St. Louis, which is not part of St. Louis, or even part of Missouri. It's in Illinois, the state where the fictional characters lived. Your post is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I tried to read what you said in your second post, I really did, but I couldn't get past the ridiculous wall of text and complete inability to use any generally accepted sentence structure or punctuation.

I'm not sure if you're just unused to typing on a computer or if, perhaps more likely, you are a teenager in your mom's basement.

If it's the latter, I'll tell you this honestly and openly. When I was your age I hated this city too, but that's because I really didn't know anything about it. I've had a great opportunity to get to know the city in the years since I moved away, and now I long for nothing more than to move back. Time and distance can give you a perspective little else can.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM

29 posts, read 55,665 times
Why do people always bring up seasons as likes/dislikes for cities, as if it's unique to the city?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Seaons aren't really that unique for a city, but they can be unique for a region. While living in Kansas City (on the Kansas Side) we would have snowfall in a way that was rarely seen in St. Louis. Even though we were essentially due West of here, the weather systems would typically push towards the Northeast and miss or dust St. Louis while providing us with 8-10 inches of the white stuff...So in a sense like that, the "season" of winter could be seen as being very different and that's only a 250 mile spread.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,957 times
I agree with most of your post about St.Louis, Ihatecrime.

I have lived in St.Louis all my life.

Racism is a big issue in St.Louis. Mayor Slay has even said that the region has a serious problem with race.

Many people love it here, and thats fine. However, to label Ihatecrime as a troll is wrong.

If you're truly honest with yourself, you know what he says is true to a degree.

I'm just saying.......

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
The OP only had one line (out of about a million) that was actually about race in any way. Just because he had one nugget of something almost true does not make him any less of a troll.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
And like I expected he hasn't returned to refute any of the responses or to clarify his thoughts. Pretty much the definition of a troll. Race may be an issue here but race is an issue everywhere. There isn't a city, state, or town that hasn't had issues related to race. Fortunately, I think racism is dying out. I have literally never met someone under 30 who I would describe as a racist...and only a couple under 50.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
I suggest the name of this thread be changed "St. Louis IS for young people"

Why?

Diverse economy with opportunities for high paying jobs
Pretty good nightlife - So many options and neighborhood districts for ALL different tastes
Affordable housing stock
More than adequate hiking, biking, fishing, boating options near by
above average public transit, very efficient highway system

Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
I will add....

1) Great universities to further your education at. From prestigious Wash U. to small liberal arts programs.

2) Most large universities have great alumni networks here

3) Coffeeshops galore

4) 3 pro sports teams and St. Louis often hosts national college tournaments (like the Frozen Four)

5) Amazing parks

6) Echoing Moorlander but nightlife is great here. This is a party town whether you like bar crawling on Soulard or a high end lounge in the CWE.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM

389 posts, read 902,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
And like I expected he hasn't returned to refute any of the responses or to clarify his thoughts. Pretty much the definition of a troll. Race may be an issue here but race is an issue everywhere. There isn't a city, state, or town that hasn't had issues related to race. Fortunately, I think racism is dying out. I have literally never met someone under 30 who I would describe as a racist...and only a couple under 50.
The problem with that is 30 and under don't run St. Louis, instead they just might get ran out of St. Louis. While racism may be dying out with successive generations its still pervasive in St. Louis. Also I'd argue that with St. Louis being insular and cliquish people don't often get a chance to confront their prejudice and resolve it. St Louis has more bridges to build. St Louis may not be for the young person but it needs young people, desperately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis