Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 AM

321 posts, read 1,004,006 times

Advertisements

Hey, my parents moved to Cleveland Heights before I started college and I lived a couple summers there. We were able to walk to both Coventry Village and the Case Western campus from our home. When I first moved to St. Louis, the U. City area (especially Ames Place) and the Delmar Loop struck me as our old Cleveland Heights neighborhood moved to St. Louis. With the proximity to the universities, as well as the old, majestic homes both places, the similarities were pretty striking. The Loop just had an "Ice Festival" a couple weeks ago (very appropriate today!) which seemed like it could have taken place on Coventry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM

55 posts, read 197,858 times
Thank you WUSTU87 that was very helpful. I think Delmar loop looks like conventry online

Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM

23 posts, read 34,069 times
I have lived in neither, but have visited both about an equal number of times and am pretty good about researching and getting around.

4th Street: equivalent is Washington Ave. downtown, The Loop or Maryland Plaza in Central West End. There isn't a great restaurant in any of these areas like Lola in Cleveland, but there are restaurants of that caliber in St. Louis (e.g., Niche). In each, you can get foot traffic and a chance to eat outside.

Tremont: equivalent is probably Soulard/Benton Park area, which also has a market kind of like the westside market.

Warehouse District: equivalent is Washington Ave. downtown. Also, there's Laclede's Landing, which is sort of like across between the Warehouse District and The Flats.

Frankly, Cleveland and St. Louis have a lot in common, including many of the same problems. But they are quite similar. I think St. Louis is probably a little healthier, if anything. It's also a little hipper, to be frank.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I lived in St. Louis in the Tower Grove East area for ten years and then moved to Lakewood for five years.

Both cities are very affordable. Both cities have a number of reasonable neighborhoods.

Honestly, I preferred the Cleveland area. The people, in general, were friendlier and it was a lot easier for me to make friends with my neighbors. And NOONE asked me what high school I attended.
Since we were not into the bar scene and the sports scene, we found that there was less to do in the Cleveland area.

On the other hand, St. Louis has a lot of great things to do year-around. There is much better restaurant scene throughout the city.

You can do a lot worse.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM

55 posts, read 197,858 times
brownhound and jlawrene01, thank you, that is what I was looking for. Now I know where to go in Saint Louis.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I think there's a real danger in looking for exactly what you're leaving behind in Cleveland. It's just asking for disappointment to compare everything to your hometown all the time. Believe me, I have to keep myself from doing it in KC!

If you come to St. Louis with an open mind, take the advice of the regulars here about the best neighborhoods and attractions then I'm certain you can find a place that makes you happy!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 17,970 times
I know this post is a little old, but I am in St. Louis moving to Cleveland and I was curious what areas in Cleveland would be most similar to Clayton, Webster Groves (which I view as slightly urban suburban areas, family friendly, good schools). Or any other comparisons between St. Louis and Cleveland areas you could make. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa718 View Post
I know this post is a little old, but I am in St. Louis moving to Cleveland and I was curious what areas in Cleveland would be most similar to Clayton, Webster Groves (which I view as slightly urban suburban areas, family friendly, good schools). Or any other comparisons between St. Louis and Cleveland areas you could make. Thanks!
First, *never* relocate without really spending some time in the other city. What I like may be completely different than what you like.

Areas that I would look at are Lakewood, Rocky River, and Bay Village. Lakewood is more urban - similar to the better parts of St Louis City with decent schools and a lot less crime. Rocky River is a pretty upscale area with million dollar homes along the lake and some pretty tiny houses the further south you get. Ditto for Bay Village.

Berea is a college town and Olmsted Falls is also a pretty good smaller town with some modern subdivisions.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM

13 posts, read 21,593 times
Welcome to St Louis!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM

23 posts, read 34,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa718 View Post
I don't know terribly well, but I would generally recommend the eastern part of Cleveland for these characteristics.

Shaker Square is a good approximation of Maryland Plaza, Shaker Heights and Beachwood would transpose for Clayton, and Chagrin Falls is a great stand-in for Webster Groves (a little further out, a little cuter too). All of that is on the east side of Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis