Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,383 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone has seen this video about the cops in St George, a suburb of STL:

STLtoday - News - Special Reports (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/special/srlinks.nsf/story/9AA8B7F1CC9DD78986257353007A90C6?OpenDocument - broken link)

But then I read the 21 forum pages for this story and almost every post says that St George cops are notorious for this kind of behavior:

STLtoday.com Blogs - News - Talk of the Day - Do you have experience with speed traps? Angry cops?

Is this all just hype or should I avoid looking at homes in the St George area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 16,100 times
Default suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Anyone know of any pretty nice suburbs of St. Louis that have a lot of newer houses (anywhere from brand new to about 10 years old or so) and a low crime rate?

Any help is appreciated.

Arnold, Mo. is a nice place to live, about 20 minutes from St. Louis, depending on traffic, it has alot of new homes being built from the 120's to the 350's price range. I clean a couple houses there and I used to live in Imperial, MO..another small community...which is all of 5 minutes from Arnold, Mo. alot of new houses going up there also, some right off the Interstate of 55. If there is anything else you would like to know, feel free to ask....Fran

Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 9,551 times
I am also looking to move to St. Louis. My husband would be working in St. Peters. Where is the best place to live? We are having a baby in May and are a newly married couple in our thirties. Looking for a walkable community, good schools.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgustafson View Post
I am also looking to move to St. Louis. My husband would be working in St. Peters. Where is the best place to live? We are having a baby in May and are a newly married couple in our thirties. Looking for a walkable community, good schools.

Thanks!

St. Peters, St. Charles, O'Fallon, Chesterfield. .....are all very close to your husband's place of work, which is about 40 minutes from downtown St. Louis, West, NW. .......all of those communities are very family friendly, considered outskirts of STL burb land(Chesterfield is considered outer ring STL burb) ....

Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgustafson View Post

Thanks!
kgustafson -
Check out New Town in St. Charles (New Town at St. Charles :: Welcome). It seems like such a neat community! My son plays hockey occasionally in St. Peters, and the folks there are always nice and welcoming to us. They also have a great Ice facility there if you like to skate! Good luck with the move and new baby! Oh, and if you are going to be new to the area and have new baby, as a Mom I encourage you to get involved with an organization like MOMS Club. (International MOMS Club) It is not easy being a new Mom and being in a new city/town. Just a little advice from someone that has been there - lots of support out there! Best to you.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,030 times
I am moving from North carolina and am looking for the same things(schools, community, walking distances,etc) Kirkwood looks great but may be too high for us. Is there anything similar but less expensive. We need to stay within 30 miles of st. charles. What about the illinois side? Is it worth looking?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 18,932 times
If your husband is working out in St. Peters then I would look into that city or O'Fallon, Lake St. Louis or Chesterfield if you want to spend a little more. Also check out Webster Groves just a bit East of Kirkwood....its nice and cheaper. Don't go for North county which is mostly what is North of 270 (Florissant, Hazelwood, Spanish Lake....I grew up there). New Town may seem nice but honestly they have those neighborhoods all over the country...they are designed to look old fashioned. The ones I've seen in Chicago don't re-sell well. I've lived lots of places too. I've heard South County is nice. I'd look there and Webster Groves and vicinity if I was to move back. Uh...stay away from Illinois.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,932 times
Also, I agree with the moms club thing. I joined in Texas and loved it. I made lifelong friends there. You should also be able to find a mops (moms of preschoolers) group through a local church but they are more about mom's getting a day off. St. Louis is predominently Catholic. MOMS Club tends to be more kid oriented.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM

68 posts, read 316,701 times
Default relocating in may

I will be relocating in May 2008 to STL. Any advice on a good suburb? I am caucasian and a stay at home mom, my boyfriend is east indian and a computer engineer who works from home and we have a 4 year old who will be starting kindergarten. We are looking for a diverse area with a great school system. We have heard of Chesterfield, Laude, Frontenac and Town and Country to name a few. Most important is a diverse and great school whether it is public or magnet.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 PM

68 posts, read 316,701 times
Hi I am also in NC, raleigh. We are relocating in May of 2008 to STL and sounds like we are looking for the same things. We have a 4 year old who will be starting kindergarten so most important to us is the school system. I am white and he is indian so of course we are looking for a diverse area and also a safe suburb of the city. Have you found anything good yet???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis