Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 PM

17 posts, read 53,861 times

Advertisements

yeah sure. Oakville, Fenton, Valley Park, etc. they are building up in most areas of STL. just depends on what you are looking for in an area and a home. I'm a realtor here so if i can be of any assistance, just reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Anyone know of any pretty nice suburbs of St. Louis that have a lot of newer houses (anywhere from brand new to about 10 years old or so) and a low crime rate?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by shunda_henderson; 01-26-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
We may be relocating to St. Louis but of course, it is all speculative right now. Still, I am wondering if our criteria is possible:
*a good public elementary
*low crime rate
*nice shopping/restaurant areas
*activities for kids 3-6 to do
*would love a master planned community w/gym, pool, parent get togethers, etc.--are those offered anywhere up there?
*Our house budget is under $250k-hubby will be traveling plenty so I don't need a fixer upper I may have issues with when he is gone; new home or no more than 5 yrs old.
*family age group between 35-45
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migrating View Post
We relocated to MO around three years ago. We ended up in a small community in Pacific, MO 63069. It is less than a mile off of interstate 44 around 4 miles west of Eureka. We are right outside of St. Louis Co. in Franklin Co. and our taxes are very low in comparison. Our neighborhood is very family oriented with common ground, a stocked lake with fountain and walking trail, community pool, sidewalks (1 mile around the circle for walks) with (still young) maple lined streets. It takes us around 15 minutes to get to 270 and it is a beautiful drive! The schools have a A+ rating and many people rave about them. There is also a wonderful catholic school in the area (you do not need to be catholic to attend). We homeschool our kids, mostly because of attachment parenting and relocation issues, but they play with great neighborhood kids who attend the above schools.

The subdivision is considered desirable and prices range from the high ones to the high twos for very nice family homes. We are on the market right now for 279,000 and have 2872 sf 5bd 2.5 bath with nice upgrades. There are other homes in the area on the market right now as well. I am not just trying for a sale, all though that would be great!!! I just think people would be pleased with this area which is often over looked because they think it is too far away. Do a search and see if it is worth looking at. You get alot of home for your money! If you want more info, email me and I'll try to help.
so did you sell your home and why did you leave?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM

84 posts, read 339,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bksmo View Post
We are moving to STL from KC. We are married professionals in our late 20's with no kids yet, but we will be starting a family soon. Basically, we want to live in an area that is as close to downtown as possible, while remaining in a nice and safe area. Also, we only know a few people, so we would like to live somewhere where people know their neighbors, young professionals live, etc. Our budget is around $200k. We are trying to make a smart choice and buy in a good area ... this is our first home. So, for resale purposes, I suppose schools are a consideration, although I know STL (like KC, MO) prefers private education to public.

We currently live in Brookside (close to the Plaza) in KC. For anyone who knows KC, what areas in STL are similar to Brookside or Prairie Village?

Thank you for taking the time to help us out! We appreciate it!
Look into Old Town Florissant or Historic Ferguson. Not too far from downtown, family friendly and community oriented places, nice big historic homes, neat downtown sections that are thriving (especially downtown ferguson- called Ferguson City Walk).

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM

60 posts, read 375,617 times
I highly recommend Oakville! Beautiful area, new homes being built all over the place, you can definitely find a house under 10 yrs old! There a lil more on the expensive side though because most of the new homes being built are Huge and just Goregous!!! Definitely low crime rate, I was raised there and my parents still live there...never were we robbed nor have I been scared to go outside by myself ( an I am a huge scaredy cat of bad things happening to me LOL ) Best of Luck to you!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 AM

9 posts, read 63,371 times
On the ILllinois side. Maryville. Edwardsville. and the very edge of Collinsville

Old 05-06-2011, 04:22 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
I know this is an older thread, but I'm hoping to revive it, as I'm considering a position in St Peters and I've seen you all have given each other such great feedback and advice.

My interest in St Peters is in a position for which I have many years of experience in a very similar field (and very similar industries). I saw the posting tonight and was really excited, so thought I'd tap into my City-Data cohorts! The place of business is near the 79 and Old Missouri 79/Salt River Road, and I am not big on commuting.

I've lived most of my life in pretty small towns and I'm wondering if St Peters is a suburb of St Louis. By google maps, it appears to be about 45 minutes @approximately 30 miles. Where I come from (Kansas, by way of out West), that means traffic and lots of people unless you're in the backcountry. At any rate, that may not be here nor there, as I would likely have no use for St Louis (no offense to anyone, I'm just not a city girl)... Just one of the points on which I am seeking feedback.

The above point is that I would not like to put myself into a position to battle with horrendous traffic on a daily basis. I have very little tolerance for commuting. What can you ladies (and gentlemen!) tell me about St Peters, neighborhoods, traffic, recommended condos/apartments that I might need to know, in order to make a decision and in light of what I've shared about myself?

Oh, geez! I almost forgot to mention, that if I were to relocate to St Peters, I would be looking for a SAFE AND SECURE condo or apartment building (that's somewhat affordable, safe, not a dump). I recently had very upsetting experience that caused me to reinforce all of my home and personal safety measures and precautions. I am a single woman, and I fought him off and chased him out of my home at gunpoint, but that does not mean that I'll not be taking even stronger security measures at a potential future home. Initially I'll be looking for an apartment or condo w/a locked gate if at all possible, as much as I dislike living in that sort of environment. It's just what I need to do at this time.

Thanks, all! I look forward to and appreciate all of your feedback and opinions!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
I think you will enjoy St. Peters. It is very safe and it is indeed a suburb of St. Louis. I do not know the condo market out there but I do know there are a handful of large new apartment complexes that have gated parking and all that stuff.

Commuting wise, if your job is in St. Peters and you live in St. Peters then you will have no commute at all really.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
As stated by Boom, St. Peters is a suburb of St. Louis. If not having a commute to work, you can't do better than living close by it, so after you find out where you're going to be located for work i'd look for things as near to that as possible. Even if you're not down the street from work, being in St. Peters and working in the same city would keep you within 10 minutes, and 15 minutes in a worst case with TONs of traffic. The big commute is going to be to St. Louis (eastbound on I-70) during the morning, and Westbound in the evenings.

You should have everything at your fingertips in St. Peter's as well. Including, dining, entertainment, shopping, work, etc...It's essentially a very suburban residential area, and very safe. It has strong public schools, and I wouldn't worry much about your own safety. I can't remember if Kansas had a concealed carry permit or not, but Missouri does. And large numbers of my friends who live in St. Charles County tend to participate in the "armed" movement, so luckily if you're not armed (which it sounds like you are) many of the friends you make out there probably will be.

Glad to hear you were able to chase your attacker off at gunpoint, hopefully the police were able to catch up with him and ensure he won't be attacking anyone else in the future. I'd doubt you'll see much for bars on doors or windows in St. Peters though, unless you're looking in some of the poor/rundown areas of that city, but you should be plenty happy out there. Enjoy!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I actually think, unless I'm mistaken, that up on 79 north of I-70 is actualy O'Fallon, which is a little further out and less congested than St. Peters but just as nice, new (newer actually) and safe. I don't know of any specific apartment complexes out that way -- it's mostly single family housing, but I'd imagine there's a few newer complexes out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis