Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times

Advertisements

Wells require electricity to work. We had a nearly 2 week period without power here and people with wells were living in hotels 8 people to a room. No toilet, no drinking water, no shower. Just something to think about- honestly, I never considered that aspect, but man were people miserable here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I didn't mention anything about poverty rates.

You're attempting to show how cheap Syracuse is as a place to live. I'm attempting to show how it really isn't. If it was, I'd want to live there. I explained in my first post (which never mentioned Raleigh, btw)

//www.city-data.com/forum/27712581-post1201.html

that when I put pencil to paper, here's what I was looking at in Syracuse:

$640 a month for healthcare insurance
$400 a month for property tax
$600 a month for mortgage
$3.75 a gallon for gas, and I drive an SUV for the work I do
8.75% sales tax

plus the other things you have to think about: how fast will my house payments pay down my house vs. go toward taxes, the weather, home appreciation rates, the economy and the direction of unemployment, which area is more "newcomer friendly", which is the best place for single people, etc.
I was answering various posts.

I don't know how you came up with some of the numbers given the results on various COL calculators and from experiences from people that live in similar or that particular area. Things will vary individually here and there, but basics are hard to argue with. Keep in mind that NC's unemployment rate has gone up, Wake County's school issues and that taxes will go up to deal with infrastructure concerns as the area grows.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
Yes, Madison county.

Another thing about wells is droughts. Many of my wife's and my friends and coworkers wells have gone dry last year.

None of them have gotten water back and with this winter I don't guess they will have water this year either. The level of suffering they are experiencing is awful. Not to mention some legal concerns and not being able to sell.

For myself I had wells for many years but now that I've had city water I can't see ever living on a well again. They are never as free as people make them out to be. Same with septics.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM

If we're going to go back and forth on the accuracy of those cost of living calculators, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not sure why you dwell on the cost of living calculator so much, but this conversation is going to get circular if we continue down that road.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Wells require electricity to work. We had a nearly 2 week period without power here and people with wells were living in hotels 8 people to a room. No toilet, no drinking water, no shower. Just something to think about- honestly, I never considered that aspect, but man were people miserable here.
No- they don't require electricity. The water pumps up just fine, by hand. All you have to do is take off the cap and attach the manual pump. That's in a pinch. The water gets pumped up every few days or so, into the tanks, and doesn't require much electricity to do it.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Yes, Madison county.

Another thing about wells is droughts. Many of my wife's and my friends and coworkers wells have gone dry last year.

None of them have gotten water back and with this winter I don't guess they will have water this year either. The level of suffering they are experiencing is awful. Not to mention some legal concerns and not being able to sell.

For myself I had wells for many years but now that I've had city water I can't see ever living on a well again. They are never as free as people make them out to be. Same with septics.
Your well - their wells - were not originally dug deep enough. That's the problem, not that there's no water.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Your gonna trade city water for manually pumped well water all the time? Or only if the SHTF and use electric for the rest of the time? Maybe Upstate wells are much more shallow. The people I know at least I believe their well was 280' deep. It was at least 3 aquifers down. I don't believe that you can manually pump at 280', but I could be wrong. The most I've seen is a manual draw of 150'. But again, I'm sure you researched this and Upstate well water is probably purer than NJ and therefore more shallow.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM

My parents' well is deep but I'm not sure how far down. I was a child when it was dug but the neighbors were all shocked at how deep it was and that they overspent. I know that theirs are 25-40 feet down... and I know this because every drought, they dry up and have to haul water from nearby springs.

Their running out of water isn't a NY issue, it's a problem of not digging deep enough. Normally, however, it IS enough for the neighbors. There are several spots in our line of fields with artesian wells. Every once in a while, we'll find one marked. You can point a flashlight down and see the water.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM

Upstate NY water is laden with pixie dust and can be hand pumped by a small child from 500+ feet.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Youngest daughter is driving and the forecast comes on a Harrisburg radio station.

Suddenly kid bangs dash and yells " if one more of these damn Yankees calls this crap warm and sunny………uuurrrrrr!!!!!!"

Satisfied papa sits thinking he's one another convert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area