Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
A week ago I was house painting in shorts. About 80 degrees. Swimming twice a day. Unless you really like this kind of cold there really is no reason to live this way.
Right now is the best time to go to Florida. Then, in a month or so, you will get people complaining that it is too hot. By June here, you may be saying the same thing.

I also think that the milder winters in recent years has messed people up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Allegiant must be doing well - they are already adding a second destination

Allegiant to offer flights from Syracuse to Myrtle Beach | syracuse.com
http://www.cnybj.com/News/Articles/T...x#.UxidCCm9Kc0

Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Looking forward to a bi-weekly flight to Vegas (Allegients hub), Canadians might take advantage of it too. I remember Transmeridian had (I think) three flights a week and they were full from my experience. When I lived out there, I took that flight frequently. It was nice to have a roung trip non-stop flight, plus family and friends would fly with me. I still don't understand this grant thing, is that sort of a incentive to get the airline up and running in a new location?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Looking forward to a bi-weekly flight to Vegas (Allegients hub), Canadians might take advantage of it too. I remember Transmeridian had (I think) three flights a week and they were full from my experience. When I lived out there, I took that flight frequently. It was nice to have a roung trip non-stop flight, plus family and friends would fly with me. I still don't understand this grant thing, is that sort of a incentive to get the airline up and running in a new location?
That is the impression I got as well. I think it was a matter of left over money being used to offer a direct flight to a place many in the area like to go to for a period of time, as the other article mentioned that it was primarily for the summer months, if I read that correctly.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Now that my wife and I have a plan in place to be debt free by years end if it works out we really been taking stock of what we have and want.

We both have great jobs. Our pay is great and in almost any state outside of NY we would be middle class. We both have lots of time off, pension and health care. My employer is putting in a huge expansion and I can almost certainly plan to retire from there.

We both have super short commutes. I drive a full size 4wd truck with a huge V8 and use less gas then a dope smoking hippie in a Prius. My tires dry rot before I wear them out. I hate driving in traffic and like being about to go anywhere at anytime in NY(upstate).

We have a really nice house set up just how we like it. It's far to big for our needs but it's almost paid for. Outside of NY we could never afford a house like we have but we don't need it either so could adapt to that.

So we got it made right??

Now the bad

Winter. I hate winter. Summer is alright but so short. This factor is huge.

Crime. To much of it.

Taxes. To high and growing.

So much to consider.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Now that my wife and I have a plan in place to be debt free by years end if it works out we really been taking stock of what we have and want.

We both have great jobs. Our pay is great and in almost any state outside of NY we would be middle class. We both have lots of time off, pension and health care. My employer is putting in a huge expansion and I can almost certainly plan to retire from there.

We both have super short commutes. I drive a full size 4wd truck with a huge V8 and use less gas then a dope smoking hippie in a Prius. My tires dry rot before I wear them out. I hate driving in traffic and like being about to go anywhere at anytime in NY(upstate).

We have a really nice house set up just how we like it. It's far to big for our needs but it's almost paid for. Outside of NY we could never afford a house like we have but we don't need it either so could adapt to that.

So we got it made right??

Now the bad

Winter. I hate winter. Summer is alright but so short. This factor is huge.

Crime. To much of it.

Taxes. To high and growing.

So much to consider.
Sean, weren't you considering Buffalo at some point? Doesn't help with winter, but I remember you saying that you really liked Buffalo.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM

Buffalo area. Yeah I do like that area. It has all the things I like. Bigger cities have advantages. As far as stores and such buffalo actually has everything Clearwater has. Including some traffic honestly but manageable. In other words to get the services I want I'm gonna have to live with some traffic and I'd call buffaloes doable.

But in the end I'm left with winter and taxes making it somewhat of a lateral move.

My next move will be my last so I wanna do it right.

So many choices.

Like country living in NY. Buy a trailer and build a huge shop. But lose my connection to NG and not be able to heat it.

Land near my job is waaaaay out of my price range. So buy land an hour away for cheap. But then spend two hours driving everyday and not have time to enjoy what I bought.

Move to Florida and live far cheaper in a quiet crime free area. Then fire up my saws and find I'm the noise marker and be forced to leave.

Move to one of the trailer parks in this area. Lot rents are high up here and provide no services like a pool. But are crime free. But do I wanna be told what size dog I can have??

Nut up and put a double wide on a piece of land. We have looked at this. 100k gets it done plus building a shop. So say a buck twenty. With a 30 year note. Now the bank owned me til I'm 80.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 AM

Downtown committee pushes for 10 security cameras in downtown Syracuse | syracuse.com

Was is interesting is that the jobs leaving were non union, according to WSYR9: Advanced Motors & Drives moving more than half its jobs from DeWitt to Mexico | syracuse.com

Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is the impression I got as well. I think it was a matter of left over money being used to offer a direct flight to a place many in the area like to go to for a period of time, as the other article mentioned that it was primarily for the summer months, if I read that correctly.
I think you are right, the Myrtle Beach flights may be seasonal, i.e. spring and summer, etc. I could also see a flight or two a week to Fort Lauderdale, there are a lot of Canadians that fly down there. I am sure they can fill up a plane or two a week, something Jetblue could not do on a daily basis. Still holding out for that LV flight!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM

With the pothole situation I'm guessing owners of front end repair shops will never have to work again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area