Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times

Advertisements

yea! more snow for us here! you guys will be average snowfall (which I'm sure is just fine for most people!)

NYC, Philly, DC: Winter 2012-2013 will be "Snow" Joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,471 times
I have been here 5 years and have never had an official snow day. Unless you work at a school, chances are, you will be going to work.

I bought a brand new vehicle here and after 3 years I was seeing rust spots. That is when I decided leasing is for me. I can swap out for a new rust free vehicle every three years. It also makes great used cars available for those looking for that.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I bought a brand new vehicle here and after 3 years I was seeing rust spots. That is when I decided leasing is for me. I can swap out for a new rust free vehicle every three years. It also makes great used cars available for those looking for that.
3 years?? HOLY CRAP! That sucks. We work from home so driving in weather isn't much of an issue. I do go to the car wash whenever it's open.....looks like I should look into a heated garage and indoor car wash at my new house. Maybe Jay Leno can hook me up. A girl can dream!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I have been here 5 years and have never had an official snow day. Unless you work at a school, chances are, you will be going to work.
My husband's office in Albany ALWAYS opened. It closed early a handful of times over 10 years. And by early, we're talking 3 or 4 pm.....not like 11 am or anything early in the day. You were also expected to be on time because EVERYONE watches the weather and knows what's coming. You also needed to be up at the crack of dawn to shovel/plow/blow/clean off the car.

I worked in the mall during high school and college. Probably a good 5 years. I NEVER got to leave early due to the mall closing. That really only happened when roads were closed which happens when there's ice and sleet. Fun times!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
Depends on the employer. My old lady gets out of work early if they see three snowflakes.

Its in my handbook that plants in snow states are expected to be at work on time no matter what, weather is never an excuse.

The guys that come in from Syracuse save all there sick days for Winter cause they don't plow very well there. Couple guys from Bonneville miss some time also cause it can get super bad up that way. The rest of us just soldier on. I have never missed, or been late for work for any reason.

It makes it fun when you have to blow snow for 3 hours before work then 3 hours after work makes life fun fun fun. I woulkd love to have every winter be like last.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm not even sure myself. I will most likely rent first anyway, so that I can live and explore the areas more thoroughly. I like something about almost every town I've been in- particularly Liverpool, Lysander/Baldwinsville, and Fayetteville/Manlius especially. I also like some city neighborhoods- Meadowbrook and maybe Eastwood. Conversely, I liked Marcellus too, but its probably too far from SUNY ESF, which I plan to attend once I've been living in NY for 1 year (for in-state tuition). To make it even more confusing, the homes in Clay and Cicero are the nicest for the price! I will probably move up and rent something in Center Point apartments, as I like all the trees and the feel of the area. That will also allow me to be close to nature while still keeping a SUNY ESF commute reasonable and be a good base for exploring the area.

Still, what do I know? I don't live there and maybe some of the towns I now like I might not like if I had to live there. So its better to rent first, of course, I just don't want to miss the bottom of the real estate market either.
Marcellus wouldn't be too far away. I'd say 25 minutes at the most. You may like something like High Acres, which is on Onondaga Hill. High Acres Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

I only mention it because it is in a country like setting, but is close to Syracuse and shopping at Western Lights or in Fairmount. There are others as well.

As for snow, I've only seen the University close early a couple of times and close down once in the 8 plus years I've worked there. Snow is usually handled in a timely manner, from my experience.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,272 times
Workplaces in the Syracuse area usually don't close for snow. On a snowy day, you are expected to come in, although it's understood that you will probably be getting in late.

Syracuse University has hardly ever actually closed for snow, but in recent years they have been buying in to the "weather hysteria" that has gripped the country where people are getting more wussy about adverse weather conditions. Cripes, they even send out weather alerts for *thunderstorms* now...

Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Marcellus wouldn't be too far away. I'd say 25 minutes at the most. You may like something like High Acres, which is on Onondaga Hill. High Acres Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

I only mention it because it is in a country like setting, but is close to Syracuse and shopping at Western Lights or in Fairmount. There are others as well.

As for snow, I've only seen the University close early a couple of times and close down once in the 8 plus years I've worked there. Snow is usually handled in a timely manner, from my experience.
Good call on High Acres- looks nice with all the trees, central A/C, and gas heat. Price seems better than Center Point too. Looking at the map, it looks like it might be close to some of the less desirable parts of the city? I remember hearing that Southside is kinda sketchy and it looks close. Just curious. Anything about Center Point that you don't like (is that why you recommend this place?)

Commuting from High Acres to ESF would be a breeze too. Its like 10 minutes away.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Good call on High Acres- looks nice with all the trees, central A/C, and gas heat. Price seems better than Center Point too. Looking at the map, it looks like it might be close to some of the less desirable parts of the city? I remember hearing that Southside is kinda sketchy and it looks close. Just curious. Anything about Center Point that you don't like (is that why you recommend this place?)

Commuting from High Acres to ESF would be a breeze too. Its like 10 minutes away.
Strathmore is the closest city neighborhood and has an old money character to it. Welcome to Strathmore By The Park, Syracuse, New York

I grew up in Onondaga Hill and it is very safe and is in the very good Westhill SD. So, you would be fine.

To get to ESF from there, you would take McDonald Road to Velasko Road. Take a right and go to Route 173/Onondaga Road. Take a left and continue on, as it becomes Seneca Turnpike. Goes through the Valley section, up the hill to. Brighton Avenue. You can either get on I-81 North to the Adams Street exit or pass the on ramp and take a right onto Ainsley Drive. Ainsley ends and take a left onto Jamesville Road, then veer right onto Comstock Avenue, which takes you by Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

I recommended High Acres due to the immediate area and the shorter commute, while being a short drive from plenty of shopping. Even Destiny USA is a short drive by taking Velasko Road all the way as it becomes Avery Avenue to West Genesee Street. Take a right and go until you take a left onto State Fair Boulevard and a quick right onto Hiawatha Boulevard, which is where the mall is located. Again, about 10-15 minutes.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To get to ESF from there, you would take McDonald Road to Velasko Road. Take a right and go to Route 173/Onondaga Road. Take a left and continue on, as it becomes Seneca Turnpike. Goes through the Valley section, up the hill to. Brighton Avenue. You can either get on I-81 North to the Adams Street exit or pass the on ramp and take a right onto Ainsley Drive. Ainsley ends and take a left onto Jamesville Road, then veer right onto Comstock Avenue, which takes you by Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF. Takes about 10-15 minutes.
That is if you want to take the long way. You can take MacDonald to Glenwood, use South Ave to Brighton, Salina, Colvin, Comstock.

I commute from Marcellus (the far end) to the University area daily. It takes about 20-25 minutes depending on what vehicle you get stuck behind. Getting stuck behind a school bus could add another 5 minutes because there are no passing lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area