Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,775,605 times

Advertisements

My new-to-me beater is 33 years old - very nearly all of it in NY - and cost $900... $1100, including purchase price, to get it on the road. And it's not a rust-bucket.

My brother just paid $600 for a rust-bucket, beater pickup.

You're either an awful exaggerator or an awful sucker... and I don't believe, for a moment, the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,405 times
Did you buy the car from an old lady who never drove it and kept it parked in a garage? I don't think I have seen a 33 year old car here that isn't a rust bucket.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,775,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Did you buy the car from an old lady who never drove it and kept it parked in a garage? I don't think I have seen a 33 year old car here that isn't a rust bucket.
Nope. It has 195K miles.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,287,042 times
My current car is an 2003, pretty much completely rusted out. Good little car, gonna give it to the kid. With a little care it should be about to hit half a million miles. Its at 300K now.

I wish I could find these great deals. I just cruise CL and drive around and so forth. Nothing I've found under 10 grand that isn't pretty rust and once I get under 5, which is my target, everything I've found has major rust. Frames worst of all. The salt here just eats frames. Truck with a rusty frame is not worth 5 pennies.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,405 times
You can thank Cash For Clunkers for ruining the used car market. Be careful with old Toyota trucks. There is a recall on quite a few of them due to frames being made out of scrap metal. People bought them up like crazy because Toyota had a buy back program that paid 1.5 Blue Book value. Info on the 1995.5 through 2004 Toyota Tacoma frame recall for rust

I had no clue about the recall until I had two different people approach me in parking lots that wanted to buy my truck.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 AM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Here is the picture thread that shows various parts of the area that you may be interested in(OP): https://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...ding-area.html

Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,843,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ironically, an alternative to REI in the area is Eastern Mountain Sports, which is based in Peterborough NH. There are locations at the Fayetteville Towne Center and DestinyUSA.

Eastern Mountain Sports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There may be other alternatives to the brand name stores mentioned like local co-op/health food markets, Gander Mountain, Pier 1 Imports and perhaps stores at Waterloo Premium Outlets or even Eastview Mall in Victor, among others.

Here are homes in the area between $80-140,000: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List
I like EMS. Its not as good as REI, but again, it will substitute. Anything else I need I can get in NJ, as I'll be down there pretty often. Good to hear that there are local health food markets and farmer's co-ops.

I noticed so many nicer homes just 6 months ago. I really feel that Syracuse homes are starting to sell for more money. 6 months ago, I had no problem finding 3 bed/2 bath, fireplace, central AC homes in the $125k range, there's still a few but not as many. At least not the style I like. I'm guessing there may be some more desperate homeowners in the winter selling homes at lower prices because they need to move (as there usually is everywhere, this is still peak real estate season). Nationwide, I think we may have seen a bottom to the real estate market about 6 months ago. But that's not based on facts, just my opinion.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
My current car is an 2003, pretty much completely rusted out. Good little car, gonna give it to the kid. With a little care it should be about to hit half a million miles. Its at 300K now.

I wish I could find these great deals. I just cruise CL and drive around and so forth. Nothing I've found under 10 grand that isn't pretty rust and once I get under 5, which is my target, everything I've found has major rust. Frames worst of all. The salt here just eats frames. Truck with a rusty frame is not worth 5 pennies.
Is there any way to prevent this rust from happening? Or do you have to constantly wash the car in the winter (like every other day)?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Buy used cars here in Southern NJ. No rust, little snow, plus no hills here. Trannies not as stressed. Mountains/hills are the equivalent of towing something daily. People commute to suburban areas or Philly, which are not huge stop-and-go miles. Every car I've bought from southern NJ dealers have lasted a long time.

I remember Vermont trucks looking trashed at 100k or so.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I like EMS. Its not as good as REI, but again, it will substitute. Anything else I need I can get in NJ, as I'll be down there pretty often. Good to hear that there are local health food markets and farmer's co-ops.

I noticed so many nicer homes just 6 months ago. I really feel that Syracuse homes are starting to sell for more money. 6 months ago, I had no problem finding 3 bed/2 bath, fireplace, central AC homes in the $125k range, there's still a few but not as many. At least not the style I like. I'm guessing there may be some more desperate homeowners in the winter selling homes at lower prices because they need to move (as there usually is everywhere, this is still peak real estate season). Nationwide, I think we may have seen a bottom to the real estate market about 6 months ago. But that's not based on facts, just my opinion.
What you can get will also be effected by what type of home you are looking for and where you are willing to look for a home in the area. For instance, are you willing to live within Syracuse city limits or are you looking for a suburban/small town or even rural area? You can find nice homes in all of those settings around here, but it will depend on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area